32 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2008 7:49 PM by MadManChan2000

Help! Can't view D90 raw images

Lukewind Level 2
      I just bought a D90 and I cannot load the RAW images from it at all. I know that the camera is new and that it must not be supported yet, but is there anyway to get these images to show up in PS. I have tried converting to DNG but that does not work...any Ideas, and does anyone know when they will support the D90.
        • 1. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Are you running Photoshop 10.0.1 and ACR 4.5?
          • 2. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
            Lukewind Level 2
            Yes I am running the lastest software
            • 3. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
              Then you're going to have to wait until the camera is supported in a future release of ACR. 3 to 4 orderly releases of ACR per year have been the norm. But then, CS4 is just around the corner.
              • 4. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                Lukewind Level 2
                ahh crap...I really wanted to see what the D90 could do with HDR. Is there no way to convert them to DNG that I am missing?
                • 5. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                  Not with anything from Adobe. I just checked the list of supported cameras, and yours is not on that list. Do you have any software from Nikon that will enable you to convert to TIF or some other format? You could use those images and try the HDR function.
                  • 6. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                    Lukewind Level 2
                    I installed the NEW codec of the disk that came with the camera, but that only allows me to see the image inside bridge...still cannot import the image. I will try converting to TIff, but does that lose any data that can be used when making a HDR image?
                    • 7. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                      JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                      TIF is a very good image format. It has lossless compression, or you can save TIF images with no compression at all. If there is any loss, it would be very difficult to detect. But again, even if there is loss, you could at least experiment with TIF until support for your camera is added. You will still have your original raw images, and in the meantime you can see what kind of results you can get from the TIF images.
                      • 8. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                        Lukewind Level 2
                        I converted to tiff and they work fairly well...thanks for the idea. This will have to do until they support the RAW format for the D90.
                        • 9. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                          D90 support in CR is imminent. Thanks for your patience.
                          • 10. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                            DVDmike Level 1
                            Imminent would be pretty quick! The camera has not been on store shelves very long. So this is good news!
                            • 11. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                              What does that mean CS4 is just around the corner. Are you implying if CS4 is released they will not update to CS3 for the Nikon D90? I just bought CS3 6 months ago and I do not see the need to upgrade at this time.
                              • 12. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                athegn Level 2
                                "I just bought CS3 6 months ago and I do not see the need to upgrade at this time. "

You will not need to upgrade CS3 but will need to upgrade the next FREE ACR that will probably take Nikon D90 RAW images.
                                • 13. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                  "You will not need to upgrade CS3 but will need to upgrade the next FREE ACR that will probably take Nikon D90 RAW images."

However, if Adobe continues their present marketing strategy, as soon as CS4 is officially released there will be no more Camera Raw updates for CS3. But you will still be able to use the DNG converter. Hopefully, there will be another Camera Raw update for CS3 that will include your camera.
                                  • 14. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                    Bevan,
                                    > Are you implying if CS4 is released they will not update to CS3 for the Nikon D90?

That's exactly what I'm implying. The possibility exists.

Jim Hess explained it very well in his post #13:

if Adobe continues their present marketing strategy, as soon as CS4 is officially released there will be no more Camera Raw updates for CS3.

• 15. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                      JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                      Really, nothing is being implied. That is simply the way it works. I don't like that idea, but there isn't anything I can do about it. Camera Raw is probably going to have some nice enhancements in CS4. But the only way to get those enhancements is to upgrade. The problem is that I don't use even half of what Photoshop offers me in CS3. So I'm thinking I will purchase Lightroom and integrate it with the Photoshop that I already have.

Now before you start a rant about how unfair it is that we have to upgrade to use the latest Camera Raw, let me just say forget about it. That is just the way it is. And as far as I know, that is the way it will always be.
                                      • 16. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                        Level 1
                                        No need to rant. This issue is much bigger than Adobe. Also, Adobe can do business anyway they like. I would prefer for Adobe to motivate me to upgrade based on the improvements made to their software, but they can do whatever they like. It is just that to most the perception - whether real or perceived - is that Adobe is not providing updates in order to pressure consumers to upgrade.

The way I see it the solution to this problem is really quite simple. Upgrade, stop shooting in RAW, or change my workflow. I don't think I am interested in upgrading Photoshop right now. So, I will either shoot with JPEG or alter my workflow, i.e. download the free DNG converter and convert to DNG or something similar. Once this is done I can use Lightroom, Photoshop, etc. I really like this option...upload, convert, sort, edit and print.

I guess I need to give Adobe credit for providing the free converter. It is free right.

PS The real solution to this problem is for the camera manufactures to provide an open source raw output option. For example Nikon will let you choose between JPEG, NEF or something like DNG. Of course I doubt Nikon wants to do this since the have there own software.
                                        • 17. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                          >the perception - whether real or perceived - is that Adobe is not providing updates in order to pressure consumers to upgrade.

As Jim said, that's just the way it is. :|
                                          • 18. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                            Level 1
                                            >It is just that to most the perception - whether real or perceived - is that Adobe is not providing updates in order to pressure consumers to upgrade.

That's largely based on most people not having a clue about the technical issues regarding writing code and trying to do backwards compatibility. I'm sure that if it were critical, Adobe could prolly make Camera Raw work in at least one version back, but it would take more work to deal with the issues that would arise which would take R&D away from moving forward and result in less stuff being put into new versions.

When CS4 ships, there will be a new version of Camera Raw (assumed to be version 5). CS4 will have it's own set of system requirements which may or may not be suitable to take CR 5 (which MUST be completely compatible with CS4) and try to engineer backwards compatibility to CS3. But I'll guarantee that trying to make the then, current version would be almost impossible to make work in CS2 and it WOULD be impossible to make it work in CS.

For both Apple and Windows, the systems have moved on and there are new APIs that the current apps are taking advantage of. Those APIs simply don't exist for the older version of the OS's that CS and CS2 were written to use.

Take Macs for example...because Apple went to Intel chips, Adobe was forced to change the way they compile applications and the plug-ins that run in them. CS3 was compiled to use Xcode and apps and plug-ins need to be compatible to Universal Binaries...something CS2 and CS didn't have to worry about (nor could take advantage of).

Vista also threw some problems Adobe's way. While CS2 can run on Vista, it's very problematic and Adobe simply can't support it without re-writing CS2 which is simply impossible. CS and earlier WON'T run on Vista (that I can tell).

So, going back to previous version that are no longer being sold and trying to provide backwards compatibilities for Camera Raw would be very difficult, take time and resources from new updates and perhaps even limit what could be done with the new version updates because it might break the backwards compatibilitieswhich for people who _DO_ upgrade would really suck.

So those people who presume that Adobe is not making backwards compatibility of Camera Raw only as a way to force people to upgrade are full of crap and prolly have a predisposition to blame corporate greed on _ALL_ corporate decisions about EVERYTHING even though there are real and legitimate technical reasons. And yes, I do know a little something about plug-ins as I'm a partner in PixelGenius which makes plug-ins and have had to deal with these same exact coding issues and have had to draw a line on backwards compatibility on products as well as the very real problem of trying to update stuff to work well with new versions. It ain't easy, it ain't fun and it's a real pain and it ain't all about greed.
                                            • 19. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                              Spectacular advances in the next version of ACR that runs only on CS4 would be just about the only imaginable reason I will have to upgrade my copy of Photoshop this time around --at least based on the illegal leaked pre-release version of CS4 I've seen on someone else's machine recently.

So whether by design or by technical necessity, ACR does play an important role in the decision to upgrade. I fully realize that it would be even foolish to expect Adobe to support legacy versions that technology leaves behind. At least on my part, I'm not saying it's motivated exclusively by greed. Just wanted to make that clear.

On the other hand, a healthy dose of greed is needed to keep capitalism alive and well.

The added features in CS3 were most certainly worth the upgrade price from Photoshop 9.0.2 to Photoshop 10, but if they had not been, ACR 4.4 and 4.5 would make it a no-brainer to upgrade for just that reason. In contrast, the upgrade from Photoshop 8 to Photoshop 9 would have been a hard sell for me without the benefits of ACR 3.x.

From an outsider's point of view, the ACR Team marches to an accelerated drumbeat of its own that the rest of the elephantine Adobe bureaucracy can't even dream of matching. The Photoshop upgrade price is justified on the strength of ACR alone.
                                              • 20. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                                Level 1
                                                >On the other hand, a healthy dose of greed is needed to keep capitalism alive and well.

I think you are confusing greed with ambition. Greed implies a Win/Lose proposition instead of a Win/Win proposition. Adobe has long been far more win/win than win/lose.

MSFT and Apple play the win/lose card all the time. Adobe bends over backwards to avoid doing that. And yet Adobe has prospered and not at the expense of other players in the industry except Aldus and Macromedia which were incorporated into Adobe (and Adobe thus changed by the additionsfor good or bad depending on your point of view) and perhaps the pixmatic purchase which was mishandled by _BOTH_ Adobe and the guys from pixmatic. And greed was not the purpose of that acquisition either...they were trying to get a new engineer who they thought would be helpful.

If you see what's in Lightroom 2.0, you'll be able to predict what will be in Camera Raw 5. As to whether or not that will be enough reason to upgrade, only you can decide.
                                                • 21. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                                  >As to whether or not that will be enough reason to upgrade, only you can decide.

It usually is. :) I'll be looking forward to reading about the new ACR in PhotoshopNews.

I am humbled and appreciative that you have taken the time to elaborate, Jeff.
                                                  • 22. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                                    DVDmike Level 1
                                                    I have LR 2 now, so I am sure that I will get the D90 ACR converter when released. But I was still hoping that they would do another ACR release before CS4.
                                                    • 23. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                                      JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                                      I am sure you have already seen this, but there is a beta version of ACR 4.6 available as of this evening. Actually, Adobe is referring to it as a release candidate.
                                                      • 24. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                                        Level 1
                                                        "I am sure you have already seen this, but there is a beta version of ACR 4.6 available as of this evening. Actually, Adobe is referring to it as a release candidate. "

This is great news.
                                                        • 25. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                                          Tom-Rock-Indy Level 3
                                                          http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Camera_Raw_4.6
                                                          • 26. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                                            Hi guys:

I downloaded the RC1 of Camera Raw w/support for the D90 and D700
                                                            http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Camera_Raw_4.6

They also have Lightroom 2.1 RC1 with Support for D90 and D700

Julian
                                                            http://www.juliantoledo.com
                                                            • 27. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                                              Just downloaded the new 4.6 Camera RAW beta and cannot seem to import Nikon D90 NEF RAW files directly into LR 2. However Bridge and Photoshop CS3 work correctly can import and view without any problems. Isn't Lightroom supposed to use the same Photoshop plug-in support?
                                                              • 28. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                                                No, LR does not use the CR plug-in.

You need to update to LR 2.1.
                                                                • 29. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                                                  PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
                                                                  >"they were trying to get a new engineer who they thought would be helpful."

Past tense? and very few mentions of Michael Johnsson over here... I thought that the work on DNG was partly correlated to his presence in the ACR team...
                                                                  • 30. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                                                    Yes, past tense, because the acquisition happened a while back and that's when Michael came on board.
                                                                    • 31. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                                                      DVDmike Level 1
                                                                      The D90 NEF files work great inside of LR 2.1. I have not tried Bridge though...
                                                                      • 32. Re: Help! Can't view D90 raw images
                                                                        Try Camera Raw 4.6 RC1 (from Adobe Labs site).