14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2008 10:18 AM by (cg_hammett)

beta Camera Profiles installation question

I downloaded Camera Raw 4.5 Plug in, which is needed for the beta Camera Profiles installation. CR 4.5 is definitely in the right place and working fine. According to Adobe FAQ, beta Camera Profiles belong in the Adobe folder in Camera Raw. I copy and quote here:

" Where are the new profiles installed on my computer?

On Mac OS X:
      /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles "

I do not have CR 4.5 in my Adobe folder, only in Plug ins. I do still have CR v 4 in the Adobe folder, but not v 4.5.

My question is... does the beta version of Camera Profiles automatically put Camera Raw 4.5 in the Adobe folder, or do I need to do something to get CR 4.5 there in order to install the beta Camera Profiles ? I've already messed up on the download/installation of Camera Profiles by moving it into CR 4.5 the plug-in folder. When I realized my error, I have trashed that.

Can someone give me some input here ? I'm clueless. This is not a BIG DEAL, as I'm getting along fine with CS3. I;m just curious to know how CR 4.5 gets in the Adobe folder>

Thanks
      carolyn
        • 1. Re: beta Camera Profiles installation question
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Carolyn,

Make sure you are in the ROOT LEVEL Library, not your username or home Library. What you show in your original post is the WRONG path, and consequently the wrong folder.

Follow the directions on the download page, which I repeated in your other thread:

Photoshop CS3
          Mac: (Name of your Hrad Disk)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS3/File Formats/

That is the ONLY place you want the ACR plug-in to be; it doesn't belong in any other folder but that one, and you can only have one instance of ACR. It doesn't "go" or "get" anywhere else.

>I;m just curious to know how CR 4.5 gets in the Adobe folder

You are going to replace the existing obsolete version of ACR that gets installed by the default installation of Photoshop with the new version.

Please note that the current version of ACR is 4.6, a "Release Candidate" which is perfectly safe to use.

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Camera_Raw_4.6
          • 2. Re: beta Camera Profiles installation question
            In your other thread I gave you the link to the instructions of how to install the beta Profiles. That location has nothing to do with ACR. The profiles and ACR do NOT reside in the same folder. Installing the profiles does NOT install ACR. You need to install ACR manually by replacing the old version, as just explained above.
            • 3. Re: beta Camera Profiles installation question
              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
              Carolyn, the profiles are installed via an installer program, which automatically places them in the correct directory. All you need to do afterwards is restart Camera Raw (e.g., via Bridge or PS) to make use of the profiles.
              • 4. Re: beta Camera Profiles installation question
                Level 1
                O.K. I understand about v 4.6. At the time I installed ACR 4.5, it was the version Adobe said was required. What has happened since then I was unaware of.

Where I have the ACR 4.5 plug in installed is EXACTLY the path you describe, not the HOME folder, but in my HD. I can show a screen shot but don't think that works in this space. To follow my ACR4.5 plug in path, which is the same as you say above, here it is:

HD/Library/App. Support / Adobe /Plugins/CS3/ File Formats / Camera Raw Plugin

When I am in Bridge, the window shows Camera Raw v 4.5 at the top. So I must have it in the right place. I think you misread my original post as the path I copied there was copied from the Ådobe FAQ! link for the Camera Profiles, NOT for ACR. Sorry if I was unclear.

I totally understand that the beta Camera Profiles and ACR do NOT reside in the same folder. ACR is in Plug ins, and the beta Camera Profiles go in the Adobe folder under Camera Raw. But I do NOT have ACR 4.5 in the Adobe folder so that I can put the profiles there. So what am I supposed to do ??
                • 5. Re: beta Camera Profiles installation question
                  Level 1
                  Eric - so are you saying that even though I do not show a later version of Camera Raw in my Adobe folder, I can download Camera Profiles and they will automatically install without the Adobe folder showing v 4.5 or 4.6 of Camera Raw ??
                  • 6. Re: beta Camera Profiles installation question
                    Level 1
                    >So what am I supposed to do ??

The DNG Profiles are installed by the installer you downloaded...you don't "put" them anywhere...the installer does. If you then quit Photoshop and Bridge and relaunch, the profiles should show up in the Profiles drop down in the Calibrate tabif and only if you are loading a RAW file, not tiff or jpeg...if they don't show up, either Camera Raw is mis-installed, or the profiles are...re-run the DNG Profiles installer.
                    • 7. Re: beta Camera Profiles installation question
                      Level 1
                      I am going to have to deal with this later / tomorrow. Life intervenes (called cooking dinner) or we don't eat tonight ! :-)

I appreciate all this input and am so glad to have found this forum. I'm sorry to be such a complete idiot in such a learned company ! Thanks for your patience everybody. Will check in later after I get my head together on this. Stay tuned.... or maybe you'd rather not !
                      • 8. Re: beta Camera Profiles installation question
                        Level 1
                        FWIW.... (between cooking dinner) Camera Raw 4.5.0.175 is installed according to Bridge Camera Raw Prefs. This is a challenge !
                        • 9. Re: beta Camera Profiles installation question
                          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                          The next step is to try and see if the profiles are working. Take a raw file (not a TIFF or JPEG) and open it in Camera Raw (cmd/ctrl-R from bridge) and then go to the Camera Calibration tab (7th tab) and see if you can choose something like "Adobe Standard beta 1" from the Profile popup menu. If so, then you're all set. If not, then something went wrong or you happen to have a camera that we didn't build an AS profile for (possible, but unlikely).
                          • 10. Re: beta Camera Profiles installation question
                            Level 1
                            Thanks for this response Eric. I have not downloaded the profiles again, as I have not had time to get back to this problem due to some unexpected things that came up. When I download the Profiles again, hopefully this will no longer be a problem. Will report.

carolyn
                            • 11. Re: beta Camera Profiles installation question
                              Remember: you have to open a RAW file generated by one of the supported beta profiles, otherwise they will NOT be available in the dropdown menu of the Calibrate tab.
                              • 12. Re: beta Camera Profiles installation question
                                Level 1
                                Yes, I understand that re the RAW file. Am I correct in assuming that CS4 will have all this (ACR update and Camera Profiles) integrated into the update ?

carolyn
                                • 13. Re: beta Camera Profiles installation question
                                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                  Yes, your understanding is correct. But remember that ACR 5.x will not work with Photoshop CS3.
                                  • 14. Re: beta Camera Profiles installation question
                                    Level 1
                                    Thanks for that info, esp. about ACR 5.x not working with CS3. I plan to upgrade so if I continue to have problems with installing the Camera Profiles, I will just wait till I install CS4 when is available. That is the easy solution anyhow !