15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2008 3:55 AM by 01af

New DNG 4.5 doesnt support Nikon D90 ? When ??

I was relying on the new DNG for D90 support as I have CS2 installed and of course Adobe no longer will support "old" versions. Can someone let me know if and when Adobe plans to support this camera even with DNG?

warning balance of my post is a rant!!!!
      I was happy to PAY for an upgrade to Photoshop CS4 -- but - now your not going to believe this - Adobe won't take my money! I stupidly bought the entire CS suite and paid well over $1,000, thinking I would be getting the value of being a top flight customer. Now that Adobe has my cash they won't let me upgrade Photoshop to CS3, I have to update the entire suite to the tune of around another $700.00. Thanks Adobe, but no thanks. Can you imagine buying a first class ticket on an airline and being told the free coffee is available only in coach! I've got my own work around now to openning D90 RAW files and using them in CS2 - I won't be upgrading beyond CS2 or buy any other Adobe product - ever. There are tough economic times coming one of way of surviving the storm - treat your customers with respect, while you can.
        • 1. Re: New DNG 4.5 doesnt support Nikon D90 ? When ??
          01af Level 1
          ACR 4.5 and DNG Converter aren't new. ACR 4.6 and DNG Converter 4.6 are. And they do support the D90. Now.

-- Olaf
          • 2. Re: New DNG 4.5 doesnt support Nikon D90 ? When ??
            Level 1
            ACR 4.6 does not support CS2 and if there is a DNG 4.6 may I suggest you post a link to it? I only see 4.5 which does not support the D90.
            • 3. Re: New DNG 4.5 doesnt support Nikon D90 ? When ??
              michael shaffer Level 1
              > I was happy to PAY for an upgrade to Photoshop CS4 [...] Adobe won't take my money!

Are you saying a $199 PsCS4 upgrade won't work just because your installation is the entire CS2 Suite? That doesn't sound right(?)
              • 4. Re: New DNG 4.5 doesnt support Nikon D90 ? When ??
                Level 1
                it doesnt SOUND right, but when you call Adobe customer service and ask them they confirm the fact. Not only doesn't it sound right, it is INSANE !
                • 5. Re: New DNG 4.5 doesnt support Nikon D90 ? When ??
                  ArrrBee Level 1
                  You buy the suite you upgrade the suite that is how it has been since day
                  one.

Robert
                  • 6. Re: New DNG 4.5 doesnt support Nikon D90 ? When ??
                    Level 1
                    Good to know - I tell everone now (since Adobe won't) of this fact - NEVER buy the suite! By the way, Adobe has changed their EULA upgrade for certain applications in the past, so your comment really isn't relevant.
                    • 7. Re: New DNG 4.5 doesnt support Nikon D90 ? When ??
                      Level 1
                      > I stupidly bought the entire CS suite and paid well over $1,000, thinking I would be getting the value of being a top flight customer.

You should have bought the Creative Suite for the variety of applications and the functionality...if you didn't NEED the Suite, I wonder why you bought it? But you DID buy a license to the Suite so I wonder why you are surprised that Adobe won't sell you an upgrade for a single component of the Suite?

>Can someone let me know if and when Adobe plans to support this camera even with DNG?

DNG Converter 4.6 supports that camera...at the moment it's available only on the downloads FTP site because the main Camera Raw product page is being rev'ed for the release of Camera Raw 5.0 as part of Photoshop CS4 (which apparently you won't be interested in). http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/ explains this and gives download links for the Mac & Win versions of Camera Raw/DNG Converter 4.6.

> I won't be upgrading beyond CS2 or buy any other Adobe product - ever.

That's the ticket...you go right ahead and teach the big bad Adobe something by your refusal to upgrade...course, it's too bad you don't care about image quality and a substantially improved workflow cause Photoshop CS2 is pretty far down the line in that regard. But, I'm sure your refusal will hit Adobe right where they will feel it, people who were silly enough to buy something they didn't need and then ended up complaining that Adobe is ripping them off...actually, I'm kinda thinking Adobe doesn't really NEED customers like you. Just a thought :~)
                      • 8. Re: New DNG 4.5 doesnt support Nikon D90 ? When ??
                        Michael Tissington
                        Actually I think it a very reasonable expectation. Things change, your
                        requirments change.
                        You start off with the suite thinking in the long term it will save you
                        money, however you realize that you only ever use Photoshop, so when the
                        next upgrade comes along you wish to simply upgrade Photoshop and give up
                        your right to upgrade the suite.

Seems very reasonable to me.
                        • 10. Re: New DNG 4.5 doesnt support Nikon D90 ? When ??
                          Level 1
                          ".. so when the next upgrade comes along you wish to simply upgrade Photoshop and give up your right to upgrade the suite."

Exactly. Glad someone else "gets it".
                          • 11. Re: New DNG 4.5 doesnt support Nikon D90 ? When ??
                            Level 1
                            >so when the next upgrade comes along you wish to simply upgrade Photoshop and give up
                            your right to upgrade the suite.

So, you want a "credit" for all the stuff you bought but didn't use, right? What is Adobe supposed to do with your "retired" Suite license? While you might be able to construe a logic to this, I fail to. You bought the suite...henceforth, you own a license to the suite...you don't own an individual license to each and every point product in the suite, you own the WHOLE SUITE (which, by the way is what was bought).

The question that begs to be asked, if you didn't NEED the whole suite, what the heck did you buy it for? If all you NEEDED was Photoshop, that's all you should have gotten. Seem nothing more than sour grapes (or buyer's remorse) to me...you got what you paid for, not you don't want it, you want something else...and we're supposed to feel sympathy for that? I don't think so...
                            • 12. Re: New DNG 4.5 doesnt support Nikon D90 ? When ??
                              ArrrBee Level 1
                              Well Califlefty you have to understand that when you buy the suite you get
                              many applications usually for the price of one or two applications. Just go
                              to the Adobe site and as an example add up the single program price for the
                              programs in the Design Suite and compare that to the price of buying the
                              Suite. There is a massive price difference. For that price difference you
                              are locked in to upgrading the suite. Seems perfectly reasonable and fair
                              given the massive cost savings. You are the one that chose to buy the suite
                              before doing your research or asking questions so don't complain about it
                              now.

Robert
                              • 13. Re: New DNG 4.5 doesnt support Nikon D90 ? When ??
                                Dennis 1111 Level 2
                                Just as a point of comparison:

Microsoft apparently DOES allow owners of its suites (Office/Works) to upgrade single components of the suite using the single component upgrade price. It is not exactly apples-to-apples in terms of the type of software but it is apples-to-apples in terms of "big corporations that have achieved 'industry standard' status with their products and can pressure customers with that status if they so chose".

> You start off with the suite thinking in the long term it will save you money, however you realize that you only ever use Photoshop, so when the next upgrade comes along you wish to simply upgrade Photoshop and give up your right to upgrade the suite.

In my view, they wouldn't even need to force you to give up your right to upgrade the suite. You would just need to pay the upgrade for the suite in addition to the upgrade you already paid for the individual component. Obviously at some point there would be no financial benefit in doing so but I don't see much reason to prevent it.

I suspect that the reason that Adobe doesn't allow the single upgrades is a combination of not wanting to handle the additional tracking/administration it would require and wanting to use it's "industry standard" status to force the suite upgrade.
                                • 14. Re: New DNG 4.5 doesnt support Nikon D90 ? When ??
                                  ArrrBee Level 1
                                  Reading Califlefty's posts and the fact that he has been provided with
                                  plenty of information on downloading ACR with support for the D90 (I have
                                  that camera as well and have no trouble reading the raw files with 4.6) and
                                  given that he doesn't seem to have a clue as to why Adobe sells you the
                                  suite at such a massive discount over the seperate products and upgrades I
                                  can only surmise the Califlefty has a camera when powered off is smarter
                                  than he. For god sakes man get a clue.

Robert
                                  • 15. Re: New DNG 4.5 doesnt support Nikon D90 ? When ??
                                    01af Level 1
                                    Califlefty wrote:
                                    > I tell everone now (since Adobe won't) of this fact---
                                    > NEVER buy the suite!

Except when you need it.

I don't own the whole suite and I never contemplated buying it because all I need is Photoshop ... still I am, and always was, perfectly aware that upgrades of separate Adobe products cannot be applied to a suite. The Creative Suite is upgradable only as a whole. Adobe never failed to communicate that clearly. And it does make sense.

-- Olaf