3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2008 2:10 PM by fazstp

Union method not working with 0 area rects?

Applied CD Level 1
      I need a fast method for deriving the rect defined by two points. I’ve done this before using min/max comparisons for each side but I thought the following would be an incredibly simple one-liner to produce the same result, problem is it always returns rect(0,0,0,0). Is there a bug in the union method or am I overlooking something?

pointA = some point
      pointB = some point

myRect = rect(pointA.locH,pointA.locV,pointA.locH,pointA.locV).union(rect(pointB.locH,pointB.locV, pointB.locH,pointB.locV))
        • 1. Re: Union method not working with 0 area rects?
          Level 7
          Applied CD wrote:
          > I need a fast method for deriving the rect defined by two points.
          > I?ve done this before using min/max comparisons for each side but I
          > thought the following would be an incredibly simple one-liner to
          > produce the same result, problem is it always returns rect(0,0,0,0).
          > Is there a bug in the union method or am I overlooking something?
          >
          > pointA = some point
          > pointB = some point
          >
          > myRect =
          > rect(pointA.locH,pointA.locV,pointA.locH,pointA.locV).union(rect(pointB.locH,poi
          > ntB.locV,pointB.locH,pointB.locV))

Union: "returns the smallest rectangle that encloses the two *rectangles*
          rect1 and rect2."

Go with your min/max method: it will take next-to-no-time. Assuming that
          what you need the rect for actually requires the rect to be "right-way-up".

Andrew

• 2. Re: Union method not working with 0 area rects?
            Applied CD Level 1
            Thanks Andrew, I did end up using a four line min/max solution, works fast enough.
            • 3. Re: Union method not working with 0 area rects?
              fazstp Level 2
              You could still make it one line;

myRect = rect( [pointA[1], pointB[1]].min(), [pointA[2], pointB[2]].min(), [pointA[1], pointB[1]].max(), [pointA[2], pointB[2]].max() )