21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2008 11:36 AM by (Chris_Crevasse)

Delete profiles from the ACR menu?

hening Level 1
      (How) can I delete obsolete profiles from the Camera Profile drop down menu in the Camera Calibration pane of ACR? Or will this menu forever be cluttered up with all the profiles I ever tried? They persist in the menu even after I have removed them from the Camera Profiles folder. Are there some prefs I can delete?
      Mac OS 10.4.11, PS CS 3, ACR 4.5 (before update to 4.6).
      Thank you for info! - Hening.
        • 1. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
          Level 1
          The "default" installed profiles that camera from previous versions of Camera Raw should not be removed because you DO prolly already have images whose color profiles rely on those profiles.

If you've made profiles and saved them in the User>Library>Application Support>Camera Raw>CameraProfiles (or the similar Windows directory path), you can certainly remove those is you want.
          • 2. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
            hening Level 1
            Hi Jeff

thank you for for a VERY fast reply! -

What I want to remove is not the default profiles 4.4 and 3.3, but some profiles I have created recently and stored in the User>Library>Application Support>Adobe>Camera Raw>CameraProfiles folder. They keep coming up in the menu after I have removed them from the folder.
            BTW the same goes for the Base Profile menu in the Profile Editor, I would like to remove them from there, too.
            Kind regards - Hening.
            • 3. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
              Thomas Knoll Level 2
              If you are using DNG, the camera profiles can be embedded inside the DNG files if you update the previews in the DNG, or if you save a new DNG.

Otherwise, if you delete camera profile file from the camera profiles folder, it WILL go away. You have to quit and restart Photoshop and Bridge in order for the profiles to disappear from the menus.
              • 4. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                hening Level 1
                "Otherwise, if you delete camera profile file from the camera profiles folder, it WILL go away."
                No they don't, not even when you say it. I have quitted and restarted both PS and Bridge and the Mac a couple of times.
                Kind regards - Hening
                • 5. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                  Level 1
                  You realize there are two places where Camera Raw will "see" profiles right? There's the place in the User>Library folder and also in the root level>Library. Users are expected to add profiles in the User level folder, not the root level folder. If you've loaded user made profiles in the root level, they will continue to show up regardless of what you take out of the user level folder.
                  • 6. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                    hening Level 1
                    Hi Jeff

Yes I am aware of these 2 locations and have stored my home-made profiles in the User level folder.

My Root level folder contains the Adobe Standard Beta and Camera Beta Profiles. These, by the way, do NOT show up in ACRs menu. I guess because, in an attempt to do away with all the profiles for all the cameras I do not own, I replaced - I have to confess - the original root level profiles folder with a home-made one by the same name. This folder contains the standard profiles for the D200 I currently use and for 2 earlier cameras. In the DNG Profile Editor, I can access them (as Base profiles) via the Load External Profile command. But they do not show up in ACR. However, this does not hurt me, I am happy with the profile that the DNG Profile Editor creates; visually, I find it very accurate.

So, the question is: How can I clean up the Profiles menu in ACR? Do I have to re-install Photoshop and ACR? Will it help?

Good weekend! - Hening.
                    • 7. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                      Thomas Knoll Level 2
                      Hening:

Please answer these two questions:

1. Are you using DNG or not?

2. If you pick one of the profile that you claim to have deleted, does is work in Camera Raw (does it change the appearance of the image, etc.)?

If you are not using DNG, and the profiles you claim to have deleted still work, then there is a 100% chance that you are wrong and you have really have not deleted the profiles from disk despite your claims.

The simple fact is there are only two places a DNG profile can be stored and seen by Camera Raw--inside a DNG file, or in one of the two locations on disk (or in a subfolder nested in one of those two locations).
                      • 8. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                        hening Level 1
                        Hi Thomas

Thank you for your reply.

@1.
                        I am in the phase of building my workflow, and do not want to fiddle around until this is properly settled. Therefor, the only DNG I had handled so far was the Color Checker image shot to build the profile. Upon your reply, I have tried a "real" image, and indeed, now the deleted profiles do not show up. So far, so good!

Playing around a little, I find that it is only with this particular DNG, not others.

So these 2 additional profiles must be stored inside the DNG. How did they end up there? One of them is based on the same NEF as the current profile (836), the other on a different one (733)

Maybe I can just trash this DNG, convert anew from _NEF, and build a new profile on that? Still, I am curious how it could happen, maybe it will contribute to my understanding of the software in general.

@2. Yes.

Kind regards - Hening.
                        • 9. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                          Thomas Knoll Level 2
                          >So these 2 additional profiles must be stored inside the DNG. How did they end up there?

The profile for the current image settings is added to a DNG when you update the embedded previews for the DNG, or when you resave the file as a new DNG.

(Also, please reread reply #3 to this thread)
                          • 10. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                            hening Level 1
                            "when you update the embedded previews for the DNG"

Sorry, despite of re-reading post #3, I do not understand the meaning of this. Could it mean something like "when you change settings while the DNG is open in ACR"? I have a feeling that it is the term "previews" that puzzles me.

Kind regards - Hening.
                            • 11. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                              Thomas Knoll Level 2
                              There is a preference setting the DNG Handling section of the Camera Raw preferences dialog called:

"Update Embedded JPEG Previews"

Do you have that checked?
                              • 12. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                                hening Level 1
                                Yes.
                                Kind regards - Hening.
                                • 13. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                                  Sorry but I have the same issue and have tried to follow the above information with no success.

I want to delete a custom profile I created with the DNG Profile Editor and cannot.

1. I stored my custom profiles in User/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles, but see none of my custom profiles there - only the Adobe-supplied profiles.

2. So how do delete my custom profile?

Mac OS 10.5.5, Photoshop CS4 Mac, ACR 5.1.0.30, DNG 1.0.0.39 beta 2.

Jim

PS: A possible suggestion for a future upgrade. Allow the user to simply right-click on the custom profile in ACR and allow us to delete it from there. This would seem to be easier and more intuitive for the user.
                                  • 14. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                                    Thomas Knoll Level 2
                                    James:

Are you using DNG and have the update previews option checked?
                                    • 15. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                                      Level 1
                                      Wow Thomas - thanks for the FAST reply!!! And on a Saturday.

I am a VERY basic level user, so PLEASE excuse my slowness.

1. I have checked the "update previews" and this does not appear to change anything. What is this supposed to do in reference to this issue?

2. Reference your question about using DNG. Not too sure what you mean by this. My photo images are not in DNG, they are RAW (CR2) or JPEG's. The profiles are DNG's - I followed the procedure to create them and they work fine in ACR - they change the image colors exactly like I would expect them to do.

3. I found something out that might help you understand my problem. In the DNG Profile Editor, Chart (tab), File/Open DNG Image... I see all of my custom profiles there - BUT they are grayed out (in halftone). I am guessing this may mean they are hidden files(???). I am guessing this is why I cannot see them in the finder, and therefore cannot delete them. If I am correct on this I guess I need to go and turn on hidden files to be able to delete them. If this is right - it seems like a lot for the "average" user to have to do.

Regards,

Jim
                                      • 16. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                                        Thomas Knoll Level 2
                                        Jim:

Profiles can be stored in ONLY two places:

1. Embedded in a DNG file. These are only visible in the UI when you actually open that DNG file.

2. As a file on your disk.

To delete a profile in case 2, you need to find the file on disk and delete it.

There is currently not any simple way to delete profiles that have already been embedded inside DNG files.

The next question you need to answer is:

When you open a .CR2 file in Camera Raw, so you see the profiles that you are complaining about in the UI? Is not, why are you complaining? If so, then you need to find the files on disk and delete them. They are exactly where you saved them.
                                        • 17. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                                          GeofferyH Level 1
                                          I just loaded the Beta 2 Camera Profiles, they are in the library of the root level. Any problem(s) removing the camera models I don't use?

I'm not using DNG btw,

TIA,

Geoff
                                          • 18. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                                            MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                                            No problem at all. Just delete 'em. And if you accidentally delete an Adobe-created profile that you need, just re-run the installer again.
                                            • 19. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                                              Level 1
                                              I can't find where to delete profiles on my Windows XP system. Can someone point me in the right direction? Also, if you re-open a raw file (cr2) that relied on a profile you have since deleted, what happens? Does the raw fle open with the current Camera Raw default profile for that particular camera and ISO?

Thanks.
                                              • 20. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                                                MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                                                http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles_FAQ#WhereDeleteBeta1
                                                • 21. Re: Delete profiles from the ACR menu?
                                                  Level 1
                                                  Well, that link was very helpful. Thanks, Eric. I'm glad to see Camera Raw will render colors using updated profiles if you delete the beta profiles. I've been enjoying using the various beta 1 and beta 2 profiles, but I didn't want to keep all profiles forever, nor get into a jam down the road if I deleted the betas.

I don't know which or how many of you Adobe guys should get the credit for Camera Raw 5 and CS4, but they are truly excellent products. Congratulations.