5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2008 9:10 AM by Joanne Mead

ACR support for EOS 5D MkII

Joanne Mead Level 1
      Greetings.

I have a simple question - how soon can we expect to have ACR support for the 5D MkII once the camera starts shipping? I will need to sell my MkI to subsidise the upgrade, so will need to time my purchase so that ACR support will be out there when I take delivery.

Kind regards

Joanne
        • 1. Re: ACR support for EOS 5D MkII
          Level 1
          >I have a simple question - how soon can we expect to have ACR support for the 5D MkII once the camera starts shipping?

No a simple question...because you are asking for information that is not normally given when asked. Camera Raw is updated, on average 3-4 times per year. That's what Adobe has stated and that's what the track record is. To ask this question you are expecting somebody at Adobe to pre-announce information that typically is not done. Unless Thomas (the guy that heads up Camera Raw) decides to give a hint, nobody can or will answer this question.

>so will need to time my purchase so that ACR support will be out there when I take delivery.

That's not a real smart strategy...early adopters will always pay a price for that adoption. One price may be spending some time without Camera Raw support for that early purchase. That's the price you pay...
          • 2. Re: ACR support for EOS 5D MkII
            MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
            Hi Joanne, my suggestion is to wait till the day Adobe actually releases a version of Camera Raw that supports the 5D Mark II, before doing anything (e.g., selling your existing 5D).
            • 3. Re: ACR support for EOS 5D MkII
              michael shaffer Level 1
              > I will need to sell my MkI to subsidise the upgrade, so will need to time my purchase ...

You don't mention the software you're currently using -- you should also take into account the cost of upgrading to CS4 (... unless of course, you take the 'convert to DNG' route).
              • 4. Re: ACR support for EOS 5D MkII
                MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                > (... unless of course, you take the 'convert to DNG' route)

... which is free and allows you to process raw files from today's cameras in versions of Camera Raw extending as far back as Photoshop CS.
                • 5. Re: ACR support for EOS 5D MkII
                  Joanne Mead Level 1
                  I've already got my CS4 upgrade and love it! It's the best yet! CS2 was okay, CS3 was better, but CS4 really is absolutely brilliant. The improvements are very plain to see.

Sorry Jeff, I didn't mean to put you on the spot - my sincere apologies!

Previously I've not had a problem. I wasn't gemmed up on raw when I bought my 20D (my first DSLR), and I didn't buy my 5D until more than a year after launch. I wasn't expecting a precise answer, only a generic one. The latest arrivals have been incorporated within weeks of them starting to ship and the 5D MKII has just missed the boat.

I haven't placed my order for my new camera yet, so can plan ahead and hold back a little. It was better to give consideration to the raw support now than jump in and suddenly find myself limited to DPP as that would spoil my fun with CS4/ACR5.1 and Lightroom 2.1.

Thanks all.

Joanne