9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2008 3:57 PM by Dennis 1111

ACR automatic correction

I'm using Vista with PS CS3 and ACR 4.6 and the beta profiles for my Nikon D700.

I'm having a very irritating problem with ACR;

When i load my photos in ACR and select one (just clicking on it once) ACR applies an automatic "correction" which ruins the photo completely. The toning and exposure aren't correct anymore.

The photos are looking perfectly fine before i select them.

How do i stop this?
        • 1. Re: ACR automatic correction
          Yammer Level 4
          If it's anything to do with auto-tone adjustments or camera calibration profiles, you can find your answer by searching this forum. Sorry, but it's a very common question here.
          • 2. Re: ACR automatic correction
            Level 1
            I've been googeling for days and haven't found anything that helps really.
            • 3. Re: ACR automatic correction
              Dennis 1111 Level 2
              The Auto Tone Adjustment does a dynamic adjustment of the white and black points and balances the tones similar to the Auto Levels command in PS. It's action depends on the content of the image. It will tend to make bracketed exposures look similar. You can turn it off in ACR preferences.

Even when Auto Tone is turned off, Camera Raw still needs to "develop" the raw data. It does this initially by using the defaults that you have established. If these defaults consistently produce a non-optimum image, you can change them. Just make adjustments until the image looks better and then do a "Save New Camera Raw Defaults". This is available in the "fly-out" menu on the tab at the right of the ACR window (like where it says "Basic").

If you notice that the thumbnails in Bridge initially look "good" but then change to something else, this is Bridge initially using the small Jpeg embedded into the Raw file and then replacing it with its new, "developed" version. By changing the defaults you should be able to get close to the embedded Jpeg exposure but it will probably never match exactly. The embedded Jpeg was "developed" by the camera manufacturer inside your camera. Expecting it to match exactly with the way Adobe does things is sort of like expecting two different brands of film to produce the same image (back in the old days).

Remember that with Raw, the result is always an interpretation of the Raw converter being used.
              • 4. Re: ACR automatic correction
                Panoholic Level 2
                ACR applies an "exposure" adjustment of +0.5 EV to all D3, D300 and D700 images, except for ISO 100, when the adjustment is -0.5 EV. This adjustment is NOT shown on the slider. Applying -0.5 EV reverses this adjustment.
                • 5. Re: ACR automatic correction
                  Yammer Level 4
                  I just did a quick search in this forum and found this recent topic:
                  Richard J Herman, "Color and brightness change going from Bridge Camera Raw thumbnail to workspace" #, 20 Sep 2008 9:35 pm
                  although I don't think it says much more than what was just said here.

I wasn't aware that Cr adjusts the Nikons' exposure. Is that for all camera profiles? That might explain why I often have to compensate by -0.30.
                  • 6. Re: ACR automatic correction
                    Level 1
                    I've already disabled the auto tone adjustment, but with no effect. I'll try the -0,5 stop now..
                    • 7. Re: ACR automatic correction
                      Level 1
                      And that also, doesn't do the job.

If the Nikon software stops crashing every 2 minutes my problem is solved..

Don't understand why this al has to be so hard..
                      • 8. Re: ACR automatic correction
                        Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                        >ACR applies an "exposure" adjustment of +0.5 EV to all D3, D300 and D700 images, except for ISO 100, when the adjustment is -0.5 EV. This adjustment is NOT shown on the slider. Applying -0.5 EV reverses this adjustment.

What? That seems incorrect to me.

Anyway,

ducky, the camera matching profiles will only be correctly matched to your camera's jpeg (which is what you initially see in the thumbnail) if you use the default settings in AC R AND if you do not use ADR in your camera (the active D-lighting thingie). If you enable active D-lighting, the camera will underexpose by about a stop and restore this in post by using a dynamic range reduction technique akin to upping both highlight recovery and shadow fill and increasing exposure by about a stop. The later is not reflected in the RAW data which will be underexposed simply. The embedded jpeg preview will contain those processing steps.
                        • 9. Re: ACR automatic correction
                          Dennis 1111 Level 2
                          Did you try creating your own camera raw default as I mentioned in my first reply?

Bring up a sample raw. Adjust the exposure, contrast, etc., until you have something reasonably close to the in-camera jpeg or to whatever other "standard" you are trying to achieve. Save new camera raw default from the fly-out menu. This will now impact all new raws. If you have raws that you have already saved the settings on, those won't be impacted unless you reset them.

You can also saved named presets. These named presets have the ability to impact from one to all of the raw parameters (contrast, exposure, etc.). You can use named presets to emulate in-camera-like settings (high contrast, portrait, landscape, etc.) although the new Adobe OEM profiles make this less neccesary than in the past.