15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2008 1:47 AM by (Peter_Guyton)

ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)

Level 1
      The compact Nikon p6000 has a new raw format .NRW and I cannot open it in ACR 5.1. Bridge will not render thumbnails either.

In another thread I found elsewhere, a user shows the screen below proving he can open an NRW in CS4/ACR 5.1.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=29821435

I appear to have the same configuration but I cannot open these files. What's the trick?

Thanks in advance,
      Peter G.
        • 1. Re: ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)
          Thomas Knoll Level 2
          Make sure that 5.1 is installed correctly. The version of Camera Raw installed is visible in title bar of the Camera Raw preferences dialog. You can open the Camera Raw preferences dialog by picking "Camera Raw Preferences..." from Bridge. (If this command is grayed out, you do not have Camera Raw installed correctly).

Purge the Bridge cache for any problem folders.
          • 2. Re: ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)
            Level 1
            I'm pretty sure it is installed correctly. If I go into CS4 and look at the plug-ins, it tells me I have ACR version, 5.1.0.30.

5.1 shows up in the ACR title bar as well. I will check that I can open Camera Raw Preferences from Bridge (I'm not near that computer right now), but I think I did that last night.

But your second comment about purging the Bridge cache may be spot on. I'll try that later today as well.

Thanks for the reply,
            Peter G.
            • 3. Re: ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)
              Level 1
              OK update
              1) yes, in Bridge I can go to Camera Raw Preferences
              2) problem remains after a) deleting the Camera Raw Cache and b) the Bridge Cache

Here's something I noticed: In BRIDGE I go to Preferences and "File Type Associations" and I cannot find NRW anywhere. In the "N" section, the only "N" I see is "Nikon Electronic Format (.nef)". Shouldn't there be an entry for NRW?

Also in bridge, if I double click on the NRW thumbnail it takes me into Nikon View NX.

If I disregard Bridge and start from CS4 and try to open the NRW's directly, I can't... they are grayed out.

So I'm thinking it's the file association thing, but not sure where to fix it.

Regards,
              Peter G.
              • 4. Re: ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)
                Level 1
                >I'm pretty sure it is installed correctly.

You may think this, but unless you give us the EXACT location where you installed it, we won't know (and the odds are you haven't installed it correctly, otherwise it should be working, which for you it isn't).
                • 5. Re: ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)
                  Level 1
                  At this point, I've it's a week ago and I can't recall how I isntalled it exacltly, but I believe I went into CS4 and chose "updates" and the automatic update process installed it. What's the default location? I'll check there.

NOTE: I can open Nikon NEF files and it works fine. At the top of the ACR window it says "Camera Raw 5.1". I can manipulate the images etc. So it appears that ACR is working properly (at least for non-NRW files).

I'd be happy to remove it and reinstall ACR, just point me to something that I can follow.

But what I don't understand it the file association thing. Seems to me that there is no File association that links NRW to CS4. (see my last post).
                  • 6. Re: ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)
                    Level 1
                    One more note: if I'm following this correctly, it looks like the plug-in for Camera Raw 5.1 is here:

Drive/Library/Application Support/Abobe/Plug-Ins/CS4/File Formats
                    • 7. Re: ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)
                      adriana ohlmeyer Adobe Employee
                      On Mac:
                      Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS4/File Formats
                      On win:
                      Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats

If you have a Win64 bit system let me know, and I will send you further information.
                      Thanks!
                      • 8. Re: ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)
                        Thomas Knoll Level 2
                        Is the "Open in Camera Raw..." command enabled in Bridge? If so, what happens when you pick it?
                        • 9. Re: ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)
                          Level 1
                          Adriana: Thanks, I found the location after I posted earlier but you confirmed the location, which is good. Note: this is OS X all the way.

Thomas: It's enabled for NEF files (and works great with NEF files). But it is not enabled for NRW files.

So that brings me back to what I posted earlier: [Here's something I noticed: In BRIDGE I go to Preferences and "File Type Associations" and I cannot find NRW anywhere. In the "N" section, the only "N" I see is "Nikon Electronic Format (.nef)". Shouldn't there be an entry for NRW?]

Still seems to be to be a file association thing, but I have not idea how to fix it. If anyone who can open an NRW in ACR 5.1 would test this, please check Bridge preferences File Type Associations and see if you have one for NRW.

Regards,
                          Peter G.
                          • 10. Re: ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)
                            Thomas Knoll Level 2
                            The next thing I would try would be holding down shift-option-command when starting bridge and reset everything.
                            • 11. Re: ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)
                              Level 1
                              Tried the shift-option-command + start Bridge thing, still no luck. I documented some screen shots in a file and posted it here:

http://idisk.mac.com/peteguyton-Public?view=web
                              Go to the "OTHER" folder and download the document:

Bridge-NRW-problem.doc

I'm thinking I need to reinstall Bridge but that's just a hunch and I'm not sure how I'd do that at this point. The only other event of interest would be the fact that I installed the dng profile editor and the camera profiles beta over the weekend... but I'm not sure how that would affect this.

Thanks for any help.

Signed
                              Still stuck.
                              • 12. Re: ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)
                                Thomas Knoll Level 2
                                You can try changing the OS level file association by picking a ".NRW" file in the Finder and doing a "Get Info" on it. Change the open with application to Photoshop CS4 and press Change All.

It is normal for the ".NRW" extension not to be listed in the Bridge preferences since the extensions there are build into Bridge, and ".NRW" is a new extension with Camera Raw 5.1. (It is not listed in my copy either but I'm able to process the files just fine. I did have is OS level association set to Photoshop CS4, however).

Also, can you try opening the files directly in Photoshop CS4 using its open command?
                                • 13. Re: ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)
                                  Level 1
                                  Thanks for the reply.

I changed the OS level file association. Two things changed:

1)if I go to an NRW file in Finder and select "open with" I now see CS4 and if I go ahead and open it I get the msg: "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file"

2) Back in Bridge, when I browse to a folder with NRW files, their thumnails now appear as just a white piece of paper; there is no longer an "NRW" on the thumbnail (see example in the word doc I posted in the previous entry).

Should I re-download ACR 5.1 and copy the plug-in into the current location, replacing the current plug in?
                                  • 14. Re: ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)
                                    Level 1
                                    One more thing: In Bridge when I click on a thumbnail, the Metadata on the right says Document Type "nrw" (lower case). However when I do the same thing for an NEF file, Document Type says "Camera Raw image".
                                    • 15. Re: ACR 5.1 on Mac: won't open Nikon P6000 raw (.NRW)
                                      Level 1
                                      Fixed it! I compared the Camera Raw plug-in dates and the one on my Mac had a create date of 10/20/08. I compared it to the one from the adobe download site and that has a create date of 10/9/08.

So I moved the existing one, re-downloaded the one from the adobe site and copied in manually. So what would have changed the create date on the plug-in on my computer? Not sure. It was installed by CS4 automatically.

My guess is that the installation of the Camera Profiles beta did something to the Camera Raw plug-in. The P6000 camera is new and I had not tried the raw prior to installing the Camera Profiles? Not gonna fret it as it is working now, but the troubleshooter in me is curious how it happened.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Note: in Bridge now, when I highlight the thumbnail of an NRW, on the right side in Metadata/File Properties, it says Document Type "Camera Raw Image".... before it was saying "nrw".

Regards,
                                      P.G.