6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2008 4:28 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

I really goofed and downloaded ACR 5.0 using CS3

I screwed up and didn't read where ACR 5.0 was only for CS4 and downloaded it. Now I don't have Camera Raw anymore. I can't remember what version I used to have. I know I got a new version when I got a Canon MKIII. I went ahead and downloaded 4.4.0 that I had saved in a folder, but it won't work at all. I deleted the 5.0 from my file format folder, but it still shows up in the "About Plug Ins" drop down along with the 4.4.0 version. How can I get rid of it in the drop down? Obviously CS3 thinks I don't have Camera Raw anymore.
      Can someone please help? I seriously need ACR and I know I made a huge mistake here by not reading first. ugh
      Thanks..
      Lynda
        • 1. Re: I really goofed and downloaded ACR 5.0 using CS3
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Lynda,

If you tell us what platform you're on, Windows or Macintosh, we'd be able to assist you better.

Essentially, you need to manually replace the ACR plug-in with a freshly downloaded ACR 4.6 from the Adobe site.

You can only have ONE copy of ACR installed.

Photoshop CS3

Mac: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS3/File Formats/

Win: \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-ins\CS3\File Formats\
          • 2. Re: I really goofed and downloaded ACR 5.0 using CS3
            Level 1
            Hi Ramon..
            Thanks so much for answering my plea for help..
            I am using Windows. I went ahead and deleted any and all copies of ACR from my File Formats folder and re installed 4.6. I get a window that says..
            "Not compatible with this version of Photoshop" I am using Photoshop CS3. When I look at About Plug Ins on the drop down menu, all that is there now is version 5.0. I can't get rid of it. I had put it in the recycle bin and deleted it completely. Rebooted my computer and re-opened Photoshop and it's still there under About Plug Ins. I am flummoxed..
            Thanks for any help you can give me on this
            Lynda
            • 3. Re: I really goofed and downloaded ACR 5.0 using CS3
              Level 1
              Ramon..
              it's fixed! Thank you.. I found the 5.0 in another folder and deleted it..
              Thanks so much
              Lynda
              • 5. Re: I really goofed and downloaded ACR 5.0 using CS3
                Bill_Janes Level 2
                >You can only have ONE copy of ACR installed.

That is the standard recommendation. I'm having some stability problems with PS4--occasional abrupt termination of PS4 with loss of data when PS4 attempts to read a memory location that can not be read. I de-installed both CS3 (complete suite) and PS4 and then re-installed PS4. The problem persisted, so I re-installed CS3.

I now have two versions of ACR: one in C;\Program Files\Adobe\Common Files\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats and another in C;\Program Files\Adobe\Common Files\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats. Everything works fine except for the occasional crashes of PS4. Each version knows which ACR to use.

For an example of the error message see this post:
                http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6ea2a/1

I'm using a Windows workstation with dual Xeon processors and 2GB of error correcting memory and running WinXP Pro SP3. Anyone else having thise problems?
                • 6. Re: I really goofed and downloaded ACR 5.0 using CS3
                  Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                  >You can only have ONE copy of ACR installed.

That is meant to be understood as "you can only have ONE copy of ACR installed in a given version of Photoshop ".

I have Photoshop 7.0.1, 8, 9.0.2 and 10.0.1 installed on my Mac (where I can even launch two or more versions of Photoshop running simultaneously, just by launching the older version first and providing different scratch disk drives for each), each one of the last three with its corresponding version of ACR, namely 2.4, 3.7 and 4.6, installed. [ACR 1.x didn't support my cameras, so I never bought that optional plug-in.]

No problems of any kind whatsoever.

Dual bootable, DP MDD 1.25GHz G4 (2004), maxed out at 2GB of RAM, both Spotlight and Dashboard disabled, Photoshop primary scratch disk on dedicated 160GB internal drive, at least 100GB available on each of the four internal drives, up to 300GB on some. Counting external FW drives just over 1TB of drive space available. nVidia GeForce 7800 GS 425MHz 256 MB graphics display card. Processor napping enabled through CHUD 3.5.2.