15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2008 2:54 AM by PECourtejoie

Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!

Level 1
      I am using CS2 with camera raw plug-in 3.7

I am running Windows XP SP3.

I open a DNG file. I do NOT do any processing whatsoever!

I just immediately save it as a JPG file at maximum quality.

However, when I view the two files with the Irfanview picture browser, the JPG seems to be washed out compared to the DNG!

Can anyone explain this?
        • 1. Re: Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!
          Level 1
          >However, when I view the two files with the Irfanview picture browser, the JPG seems to be washed out compared to the DNG!

What color space do you set in Camera Raw? Kinda important ya know. Also, you you have the CR prefs to auto adjust? Prolly shouldn't if you do.
          • 2. Re: Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!
            Yammer Level 4
            It's an understandably common belief that Camera Raw does no processing at default settings. It does. It's a Raw image Processor - it ALWAYS does processing, even at defaults.

It's possible that your current defaults are not right for you. Check the settings Jeff has already mentioned, and look into your basic developing and calibration settings too, if that's not the problem.

CR's default settings are not set in stone, and *should* be changed if necessary.
            • 3. Re: Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!
              Level 1
              My colour settings in CS2 is North America Prepress 2.

In camera raw my camera profile is ACR 3.6

I am now REALLY confused!

I do use the auto adjust in camera raw as I like the result!

But the saved jpg file even has a different colour blue background!

Please look at this screen shot.

http://rapidshare.com/files/163637186/Help.jpg.html

On the left is the saved jpg file shown in Irfanview and on the right it is opened in CS2.

When I save in the jpg format it changes the colour of the blue background.

HELP!
              • 4. Re: Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!
                michael shaffer Level 1
                In the ACR window, you should see a color space option at the bottom, which will be independent of the color space preference chosen in PsCS2. If that ACR color space is anything other than sRGB, then an independent viewer (eg, Irfanview) will not display is correctly (ie, de-saturated color). That is, Irfanview is not color space savvy.

That said, sRGB shouldn't be used for anything other than web browsers or other viewers (eg, Irfanview), or sRGB-only printers. IE, its color gamut isn't any larger than your monitor's.

hth :)
                • 5. Re: Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!
                  Yammer Level 4
                  I can think of two possible factors in the change in colour:

1. You're saving the jpeg file with a colour profile which cannot be viewed correctly by your software (eg AdobeRGB). Try looking at the jpeg in Photoshop instead.

2. Your Camera Raw defaults need calibrating for your camera.

and you might like what 'Auto adjust' does, but you can't always expect it to 'get it right'. Personally, I rarely use it, and only try it if I'm having trouble with an image and need a 'second opinion'.
                  • 6. Re: Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!
                    Yammer Level 4
                    Sorry, Michael answered while I was composing my reply.
                    • 7. Re: Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!
                      Level 1
                      Thank you Jeff, Michael and Keith!

I have now activated the color space plugin for Irfanview.

It is so obvious, with hindsight.

Now I can really enjoy shooting in raw!

Do you think this topic should be added to the faq?

Again, thank you everyone for your prompt assistance!

Jeremy
                      • 8. Re: Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!
                        PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
                        It does not pertain to camera raw, rather with Photoshop or color Management. Problem is that there are many non-color managed applications. I suspect users would not see the relation directly...
                        • 9. Re: Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!
                          Level 1
                          PECourtejoie@adobeforums.com wrote:
                          > It does not pertain to camera raw, rather with Photoshop or color Management.

The underlying problem that many people have trouble coming to grips with is
                          variants of:
                          'Why does my RAW image look different from the
                          1) JPEG
                          2) in camera Preview
                          3) manufacturer's version
                          4) etc...?'.

The question is simple but the answer is not. The answer touches on color space,
                          white balance, default Camera RAW settings and processing, camera profiles,
                          etc... Many of the threads here go into really good depth in examining each of
                          these topics but I don't recall seeing anything that approaches a comprehensive
                          answer, especially since we now have the DNG Profile Editor.

-X
                          • 10. Re: Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!
                            Mmh, indeed.

But imho, the FAQ is not the place to address such a broad subject. A white paper would be more relevant (some listed at the end of the FAQ touch the subject, but somehow became obsolete thanks to the DNG Profile Editor).

I suspect that when the tool will see its final release, some documents will answer most of those questions... Eric Chan would be one of the best qualified persons to write that paper, and one the FAQ writers would gladly link to it.
                            • 11. Re: Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!
                              Level 1
                              While on the subject...

Is there any way to set camera raw to use sRGB and 16 bits as a default?

Otherwise I have to change these two settings each time I want to edit a photo in camera raw!
                              • 12. Re: Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!
                                Dennis 1111 Level 2
                                > Is there any way to set camera raw to use sRGB and 16 bits as a default?

Click on the thing that looks like a hyperlink at the bottom of the ACR screen. There you can set colorspace, bit-depth, size, resolution, and smart-object preference. ACR should use those settings until you change them again.
                                • 13. Re: Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!
                                  Level 1
                                  > But imho, the FAQ is not the place to address such a broad subject.

The question is frequently asked so the it should be added with pointers to
                                  those (hopefully) up-and-coming white papers.

-X
                                  • 14. Re: Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!
                                    Level 1
                                    > ACR should use those settings until you change them again.

Unfortunately, they are not stored in the Preferences.xmp file with other Camera
                                    Raw preferences. This means that they cannot be reset externally as part of a
                                    larger processing workflow. On XP they are stashed in the registry; I have no
                                    idea where they are kept on OS X.

-X
                                    • 15. Re: Jpg and DNG brightness problem - CS2!
                                      Xbytor, yes, thqt's what I meant, links from FAQ to White Papers...