Check the Camera Calibration panel and the profile dropdown menu...
Harry, the page where you downloaded the profiles from also has some illustrations explaining how to use 'em ...
1. thanks for the reply.
2. i installed the camera profiles--> it's located in library/application support/adobe/cameraraw/cameraprofiles
3. i then open up a DNG file in ACR (4.6)--> i go to the camera calibration panel and the only thing in the profile downdown menu is "embedded".
4. question: what am i doing wrong? (note: i'm using ACR 4.6 and CS3)
>3. i then open up a DNG file in ACR (4.6)--> i go to the camera calibration panel and the only thing in the profile downdown menu is "embedded".
Is the DNG a raw file? What format? It isn't perhaps a JPEG ot TIFF that you've saved as a DNG is it? If so, you'll not see any profile other than embedded...the DNG Profiles can only be used for raw files. Also, I believe Foveon files can't use DNG Profiles either...so , where did the DNGs come from?
1. the DNG file that i'm opening is a ricoh GX 200 raw file. it is a true raw file and as you know, ricoh natively creates a DNG file and supposedly via adobe's information, this camera actually has a profile within the camera profiles that i recently installed.
2. i'm assuming that somehow, the profiles weren't properly installed and perhaps if no one can figure this out, i'll probably get CS4 and redo everything.
thanks for any further thoughts. harry
>thanks for any further thoughts.
Do you see an Adobe Standard Profile? Not all cameras are supported in beta 1 & 2...you may have to wait for the final release...
1. re: you most recent question--> no i don't see "adobe standard profile".
2. however since you asked that question, i opened up another type of RAW file--> olympus e420 ORF--> when i went to the camera calibration section in ACR--> yes, i did see "adobe standar profile".
3. thus, as you mentioned--> i may have to wait for the final release in re: my ricoh GX 200 or create a profile myself.
4. thanks for all your help.
Re Harry's #3:
> i may have to wait for the final release in re: my ricoh GX 200
There will not be any further releases for ACR 4.x. Maybe I'm misreading your post?
I was talking about the final release of the DNG Profiles...which will work in CR back to CR 4.5.
There is an Adobe Standard beta 2 profile for the Ricoh GX 200. Make sure it's installed properly, and also make sure you're actually looking at a raw file within Camera Raw, not a rendered file. If in doubt, re-download the profile installer from the Adobe Labs site, re-install the profiles, and restart Photoshop.
Has this been solved ?
I am also having the same problem with GX200 dng files. The GX200 profile is listed in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard beta 2\ and the various profiles for my other camera shows up correctly in the profile dropdown in acr, but just embedded for the GX200.
Dr Grumpy wrote:
…the various profiles for my other camera shows up correctly in the profile dropdown in acr, but just embedded for the GX200.
Sounds like you're looking at a JPEG, rather than a supported raw file.
No it is not a jpeg - the Ricoh GX200 records adobe dng raw files, this is definitely a true raw file, and the there is an adobe std profile for the camera, see below:
In fact after playing around I found a work round:
1. I downloaded and opened the camera profile editor
2. Opened a dng file created by the camera ( It shows the base profile as Embedded (GX200) )
3. In the Base Profile select Choose external profile and select the Adobe Standard profile for the camera (this profile was installed by the camera profiles download)
4. Without making any changes to the profile, file -> export profile
5. Restart bridge, open a gx200 dng file in acr and the exported profile is now listed in the profiles dropdown dogether with embedded (the original adobe standard profile is still not listed).
I notice that export puts the profile by default in my specific user profile rather than all users (it could be that this is why it now shows up - I have yet to try moving it to all users profile).
(BTW I am using Bridge CS3 and ACR 4.6)
Hope this helps someone,