9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2009 3:38 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Camera Raw problem with new Nidon D90 and CS2

Please forgive me if this is a repeated question . . . but I need some advice . . . I just picked up a new Nikon D90 tonite . . . I'm using Mac 10.4.11 and Photoshop CS2 . . . when I tried to open my raw files in Bridge, I get the message that these files cannot be recogniized . . .After searching Adobe support I just have more of a headache . . .I primarily shoot Raw . . . and have never had a problem with CS2 and Bridge with my Nikon D80 . . . Please give me some advice . . .Thanks so much in advance . . .David
        • 1. Re: Camera Raw problem with new Nidon D90 and CS2
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          Support must be added to camera raw for each specific camera model, not just a brand or file type. Your new D90 will never be supported directly by Photoshop CS2 and ACR 3.7. Your alternative is to download the latest DNG converter (5.2) and convert your raw files to the digital negative format. Those files still contain all of your raw image data, and they can be opened using Photoshop CS2/ACR 3.7. You can achieve the same results with the DNG files as you could the original raw files. The only thing you will be missing are all of the new features that have been added to later versions of Camera Raw.
          • 2. Re: Camera Raw problem with new Nidon D90 and CS2
            Level 1
            Jim . . . thank you so much for your help . . . Thanksgiving isn't the time for me to relax . . . but you made it alot easier with your advice . . . best wishes . . .
            David
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw problem with new Nidon D90 and CS2
              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
              I'm glad to be able to help. I'm sure in your quest for understanding you will probably read various tutorials and articles about Camera Raw. Camera Raw has changed dramatically since Photoshop CS2, and much of what you read will probably not apply. Camera Raw is quickly becoming a very powerful part of Photoshop. While you are going to be able to do a "basic" processing of your raw images, you would be amazed with the added flexibility of the new version. Good luck.
              • 4. Re: Camera Raw problem with new Nidon D90 and CS2
                I just bought a D90 and updated my camera raw plugin to V3.7 and put it in the proper folder. Photoshop shows it in the Help \ About Plugin section correctly. I use Windows Vista and Photoshop CS2. I don't want to use the DNG converter because it's an additional step. Unfortunately I can't make it work. I always get an error when I try to open the NEF files. please help...
                • 5. Re: Camera Raw problem with new Nidon D90 and CS2
                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                  Of course you get an error! The D90 didn't come out until way after Adobe stopped upgrading ACR for Photoshop CS2. You will never have support for your NEF files with Photoshop CS2. If you don't want to use the DNG converter you have several choices. Upgrade to Photoshop CS4 or Lightroom 2.x, purchase Photoshop Elements (latest version, although Camera Raw doesn't have all its features in Photoshop Elements), purchase some other software that will support your NEF files. The only way you can have the support for your NEF files in Photoshop CS2 is to use the DNG converter.

A lot of people complain that it is an "extra step" to use the DNG converter. You have to download the images from your camera anyway. Just use the DNG converter to do that. It will take a little longer than a normal download, but once the download/conversion is completed your workflow is no different than it otherwise would be.

Camera Raw has matured greatly since Photoshop CS2. You purchased an outstanding camera. It's now time to upgrade your software. ACR is little more than a toy in Photoshop CS2.
                  • 6. Re: Camera Raw problem with new Nidon D90 and CS2
                    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                    >don't want to use the DNG converter because it's an additional step

Upgrade to CS4 then.
                    • 7. Re: Camera Raw problem with new Nidon D90 and CS2
                      Level 1
                      Hi Jim,
                      thanks a lot for your fast reply. That really helps. I found a lot of hits when I used Google to look for solutions that stated that Camera Raw 3.7 would work with PS CS2 and the D90. After I saw the release date of the ACR3.7 I also started wondering how that should work as the V3.7 was released way earlier than the D90. As I can't afford CS4 right now I'll go for the converter. Thanks again!
                      • 8. Re: Camera Raw problem with new Nidon D90 and CS2
                        JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                        I realize that it is a big disappointment, but unfortunately that's just the way it is. You might want to consider Lightroom. I use Lightroom with Photoshop CS2 at work, and I get along quite well. Lightroom has all the features of Camera Raw, and is quite a bit less than Photoshop. There have been many new features added to the later versions of Camera Raw. After getting used to Lightroom and even ACR 4.6 on my home computer, trying to get by with ACR 3.7 is really a hindrance to my work.
                        • 9. Re: Camera Raw problem with new Nidon D90 and CS2
                          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                          If Boris has CS2, he can get the CS4 upgrade cheaper than a new version of Lightroom.