7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2008 6:53 PM by rasworth

Output sharpening workflow experiment

rasworth Level 1
      Trying to get my head around this function, went thru the following steps:

1. Opened a raw image in ACR, performed some basic edits, left Output Sharpening set to None, and opened in PS.

2. Cropped the image, set image size to 16x20, resized to 240ppi, and saved it out as a tif.

3. Opened tif in ACR, turned on Output Sharpening to Glossy and High with same ppi, no other edits, did a "Save As" to a different named tif, then did a Cancel so as not to add metadata to the first tif.

4. Opened both tif's in PS, and the second image was obviously sharpened, neither image invoked ACR so I assume the second image pixels were modified (not by metadata), seemed like reasonable sharpening although I didn't print to make sure.

So am I on track here, is this a sane way to batch up output sharpening for a group of images? I typically print thru a RIP using a final tif image, so in that sense it fits my workflow. Obviously would have to do some test prints to determine how well the sharpening algorithm performed. IMO the Output Sharpening control needs to be moved out of the bottom link and into the control panel, awkward to change as is.

Added by edit - I did capture sharpening in ACR on the original raw image.

Richard Southworth
        • 1. Re: Output sharpening workflow experiment
          01af Level 1
          Richard Southworth wrote:
          > So am I on track here, is this a sane way to batch up
          > output sharpening for a group of images?

No, it's not. ACR's output sharpening function is intended for images that got capture-sharpened and exhaustively adjusted in Camera Raw and then go from there directly to the printer, with no further tweaking in Photoshop.

When explicitly saving the image in TIFF format and then loading it into Photoshop for further adjustments (including resizing/resampling) then better don't apply output sharpening in Camera Raw but do that in Photoshop instead.

Of course you
          i can
          re-load TIFF files back into Camera Raw after having worked on them in Photoshop, to take advantage of ACR's new output sharpening feature---but that's not the way it's intended to be used.

-- Olaf
          • 2. Re: Output sharpening workflow experiment
            rasworth Level 1
            Olaf,

I think you may have misssed my point. I understand the normal workflow is to output sharpen in PS, have done it many times. However, there is no automated output sharpening in PS, and the ACR method purports to be such. If it is "good enough" than why is this not a "sane" method?

Per my post, I did re-load the tif files back into ACR - seems like a reasonably efficient way to use the automation, and just why is that "not the way it's intended to be used."?

I'm looking for a flaw in my reasoning, not gut reaction opinions.

Richard Southworth
            • 3. Re: Output sharpening workflow experiment
              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
              Richard, that sounds reasonable to me.
              • 4. Re: Output sharpening workflow experiment
                rasworth Level 1
                Eric,

Thanks for the reply. It's interesting to me that we would have to "double back" into ACR to accomplish the automatic Output Sharpening. It would seem that it is a logical function to also include within PS.

Any words on what OS does in terms of radius, etc.?

Richard Southworth
                • 5. Re: Output sharpening workflow experiment
                  Level 1
                  > It would seem that it is a logical function to also include within PS.

Yes, it would but Adobe didn't want to include it at this time. There is the ability to use PhotoKit Output Sharpener in Photoshop (from which the Lightroom/Camera Raw sharpening was derived). Pixel Genius would LOVE to have Adobe put the output sharpening in the Photoshop print dialog :~)
                  • 6. Re: Output sharpening workflow experiment
                    MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                    > Any words on what OS does in terms of radius, etc.?

No, we are not planning to disclose the output sharpening method or parameters. (However, you can take a look at Bruce Fraser's "Image Sharpening" book to get an idea.)
                    • 7. Re: Output sharpening workflow experiment
                      rasworth Level 1
                      Eric,

I have the book, went thru his processes on a couple of images. Lots of work, but very effective.

Thanks,

Richard Southworth