38 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2009 8:45 AM by Matthew Laun

ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4

I just purchased the CS4 upgrade (from PS CS2) for my Windows XP system & it runs fine. But when I download ACR 5.2 update & try to install it manually it doesn't appear to install. The Help/About/Plugins window shows ACR version 5.0 running. When I try to install the 5.2 update using the Help/Update function, I'm told to close Bridge, but Bridge isn't open, so I get into a loop of message/retry/message/retry etc.

What goes?
        • 1. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
          1. Close Photoshop & Bridge.

2. Download the update from this page and unzip it:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4220

3. Go to this directory on your computer:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats

4. Delete everything in there.

5. Copy the Camera Raw.8bi from the unzipped package from Step 2 into the folder from Step 3.

6. Launch Photoshop. Done.
          • 2. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
            Level 1
            Thanks Eric, I tried this but am not able to either delete or replace the Camera Raw.8bi in \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats folder. I get *access is denied*.
            • 3. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
              Level 1
              I got around the previous problem of not being able to delete or override the Camera Raw.8bi in \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats folder by renaming the existing one (---raw--- to ---row---) then copying the new one in.

Then Bridge wouldn't work, even when I reloaded CS4 a couple times. Finally I rebooted the whole system & everything seems to work fine now.

Thanks again.
              • 4. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                Level 1
                >by renaming the existing one

That's really not advised...you can not have two versions of Camera raw and have it work properly...you need one and only one Camera Raw plug-in installed in that location. It doesn't matter what you rename it, it's still a Camera Raw plug-in. Get rid of it. It actually sounds like you've got permissions problems, you really need to be logged in with admin permissions to properly install Camera Raw manually.
                • 5. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                  Level 1
                  I *am* logged in with admin rights.
                  • 6. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                    Level 1
                    Is "start bridge at login" checked in bridge/preferences/advanced? It sounds
                    like the plugin was in use, which probably means bridge was already running when
                    you tried to update it.
                    --
                    Charlie...
                    http://www.chocphoto.com
                    • 7. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                      Level 1
                      Yes, Charlie, thanks. Bridge & ACR 5.2 seem to work fine now (I'm finally able to see/process LX3 RAW files) but I still can't get rid of the renamed Camera Raw plug-in.
                      • 8. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                        Level 1
                        JP,
                        Why did you choose to install the plug-in manually? Why not use the automatic update manager to install the update for you?

Regards,
                        Tom Hogarty
                        • 9. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                          CR Henderson Level 3
                          >Tom Hogarty:Why did you choose to install the plug-in manually? Why not use the automatic update manager to install the update for you?

I'm not JP but I can tell you that I tried to use the Adobe update manager and it failed and hosed my CS4. I had just rebuilt my system, installed WinVista 64, installed hardware drivers, installed LR 2.1, installed Photoshop CS3, updated PS CS3 without a problem, installed PS CS4, attempted the update and all 5 offered updates failed. The failed Version Cue update hosed my CS4--a missing dll.

I offered to send the Event Log entries from the update failures to Adobe but didn't get a response.

Fortunately I was able to get CS4 working again by copying the new Version Cue folders that were only partially installed from another WinVista 64 system where the update did not fail. However, even on that system the Camera Raw 5.2 update failed (the other 4 offered installed ok) so I had to install CR 5.2 manually on both of my WinVista 64 systems.
                          • 10. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                            Tom,
                            >Why did you choose to install the plug-in manually? Why not use the automatic update manager to install the update for you?

That's a remarkable, even astonishing question.

Some of us have avoided the AUM (Adobe Update Manager) for years and years, as it is too frequently broken in one way or another.

As recently as today, we've been publicly advised by an Adobe Bridge Engineer to re-do the ACR installation manually if we had let AUM do it already:

Goichi Kitazume, "Tiff's suddenly showing generic icon instead of image preview" #10, 1 Dec 2008 1:54 pm

Hello, Bridge Users,

If you have updated Camera Raw Plug-in via Adobe Update Manager (a.k.a.AUM), please re-download the latest Camera Raw plug-in from Adobe download site:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Macintosh

Thank you for using Adobe Bridge,

Goichi Kitazume
                            Adobe Bridge Quality Engineer
                            • 11. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                              Level 1
                              Tom,
                              I did try the update manager. It didn't work. Then I tried the manual alternative. That didn't work either until I renamed the unremovable file it was supposed to replace, as described above.

jp
                              • 12. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                01af Level 1
                                Ramón G Castañeda wrote:
                                > That's a remarkable, even astonishing question.

It is indeed. I would never allow any program installed on my machine to update itself automatically. Never.

Regarding the original poster's issue---he most likely just failed to follow the installation instructions properly. The usual problem ...

-- Olaf
                                • 13. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                  Level 1
                                  I don't believe it's an astonishing question at all. I can assure you, the vast, vast majority of Photoshop customers update the Camera Raw plug-in using the Adobe Update Manager. If it's not working for someone, I'd like to know why. If you just don't like update utilities because you want to maintain absolute control over your computer, we offer an independent alternative via the download site.

Regards,
                                  Tom Hogarty
                                  • 14. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                    Level 1
                                    >Regarding the original poster's issue---he most likely just failed to follow the installation instructions properly. The usual problem ...<<br />
                                    Thanks for the blanket assumption, Oaf. Very helpful.
                                    • 15. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                      CR Henderson Level 3
                                      >Tom Hogarty:I don't believe it's an astonishing question at all. I can assure you, the vast, vast majority of Photoshop customers update the Camera Raw plug-in using the Adobe Update Manager. If it's not working for someone, I'd like to know why.

Because many AUM updates fail on both of my WinVista 64 systems. For some Adobe updates I just get a Failed message. For some updates the Adobe setup program crashes.

For the 4.01 Version Cue update when it failed it caused Photoshop CS4 to fail to operate correctly--try to load in an image--get a missing dll error and program exits. Had I been 'just a customer' who didn't have a solid PC background I'd have been hosed.

To sum it up: For some updates the AUM works, for most it fails. It appears to be a crap shoot as to when it works and when it fails.

It doesn't appear to be just an AUM problem as I've downloaded some individual updates and for the most part if they failed in AUM they failed when executed separately.

Adobe updates are the only ones that have failed on my system(s). All other installs/updates have been error free.

Edited to add: As stated earlier in this thread my desktop was a fresh install of WinVista 64. I installed the OS, all Windows updates, all hardware drivers, Lightroom 2.1, Photoshop CS3, the 10.0.1 patch to PS CS3, then ran the AUM. All updates went without error. I then installed PS CS4 without an error message during the install, started PS CS4 and executed Help->Updates... Five updates, including CR 5.2, were offered. All updates failed. I run as Administrator and UAC is turned off. I did not have my AV installed yet--that is usually the last program I install when re-creating my system.
                                      • 16. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                        Tom,
                                        > the Adobe Update Manager. If it's not working for someone, I'd like to know why.

The Adobe Updater is broken most of the time, and it has been for years and years. That's why your question is astonishing.

You must be the only Adobe staff member who is not aware of this. Talk to John Nack. ;) He just might share with you sentiments about the guys responsible for the updaters he cannot express in public.

The Adobe Updater fails in many ways at different times: it can fail to find the available updates on the server; it can show updates that have already been applied; it can fail to find the product on the disk to update; it can leave you with an incomplete or faulty installation; it can just flat out fail, etc.
                                        • 17. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                          Note that I'm talking about the Adobe updater being broken in all Adobe applications I use, not just for the ACR plug-in.
                                          • 18. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                            John Joslin Level 6
                                            I totally agree with Ramón.
                                            • 19. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                              I have the exact same problem as CR Henderson. In fact we did things in the same order with the exact same software. Fresh Vista 64 ultimate install... new CS3 install... update CS3.. install CS4... So far so good. Then OOPS!! upgrade. As soon as I try to update CS4 the AUD starts downloading the 5 updates (same again) then starts the install and either pops up with a Vista setup fail message box or the adobe update failed message box for ALL 5 updates. What kinda crap is that? I removed and reinstalled both CS3 and CS4 and got the exact same problem again. And no, manually updating does not work either...Adobe you got a major SNAFU here I think. Every thing else I have runs perfect. A lot of money to spend on a crappy experience like this Adobe.
                                              • 20. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                John Joslin Level 6
                                                This is a user to user forum, although Adobe people kindly come here to help out with ACR.

However they are not members of the group responsible for the notorious updater. Many users, having been bitten by this monstrosity in the past, have de-activated it in it's preferences and get their updates from the Adobe download site for local installation.

I recommend this course to anyone having problems with updates.
                                                • 21. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                  CR Henderson Level 3
                                                  >John Joslin:However they are not members of the group responsible for the notorious updater. Many users, having been bitten by this monstrosity in the past, have de-activated it in it's preferences and get their updates from the Adobe download site for local installation.

As I (and LB) stated previously--even manual updates failed for 4 of the updates. The CR 5.2 update worked ok when executed manually from a separate download. That means to me it isn't the updater that is at fault, it is deeper than that. The fact that at least one other has reported exactly the same symptoms tells me it is likely an Adobe oversight. The error reporting in their install process is inadequate. Simply saying the install 'failed' is not useful to anyone.

Recently I noticed that the OUTPUT tab in Bridge was totally blank. I surmised it was the failed Adobe Output 2.1 that caused that error and I proved it by uninstalling/re-installing CS4. Prior to attempting a manual update of Adobe Output module the OUTPUT tab was fine. After the manual update failed *again* with a fresh install the OUTPUT tab was again blank.

I shotgunned the solution by copying all of the Adobe related folders from the laptop install to the desktop and now Bridge/CS4 is OK and running the updater says I don't have any updates available.

I'm wondering what will happen when the update for Photoshop CS4 is finally released--will it crash too? I guess time will tell.
                                                  • 22. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                    The Adobe folks contributing here have nothing to do with the installers either. One of the Photoshop managers has publicly referred to the installers as "a huge embarrassment to all of us", and privately they have some choice words they can't utter publicly for the installer guys.

>I'm wondering what will happen when the update for Photoshop CS4 is finally released

if there's such an update

With the loss of 600 Adobe employees and the trimmed-down team under pressure to spit out CS5 within 16 months from now, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
                                                    • 23. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                      > Prior to attempting a manual update of Adobe Output module the OUTPUT tab was fine. After the manual update failed *again* with a fresh install the OUTPUT tab was again blank.

That tab doesn't get populated until you check the corresponding scripts in Bridge Preferences and re-launch Bridge.
                                                      • 24. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                        CR Henderson Level 3
                                                        >RGC:That tab doesn't get populated until you check the corresponding scripts in Bridge Preferences and re-launch Bridge.

If the Adobe Output Module script isn't checked the OUTPUT tab isn't blank, it simply isn't available--not in the menu--not anywhere. The problem was the failed update.
                                                        • 25. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                          Level 1
                                                          Hey CR send me those files! :P Otherwise I'm hosed. I don't have it installed on another system. I did manage to get the 5.2 Camera Raw update installed by manually inserting the Camera Raw.8bi files in their respective folders. The folders were EMPTY so the original CS4 install did not even put the plug-in there to begin with. I still cannot import camera files without getting the versioncue.dll error with CS4 crapping out just as yours did. What a mess. At least CS3 still works...
                                                          • 26. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                            CR Henderson Level 3
                                                            >LB Boyd:Hey CR send me those files!

As I said, I copied all Adobe files from the laptop the the desktop. Just a few too many to send :)

If your problem is a missing dll error in Cue when you start PS CS4 then I believe you can overcome that error by copying all the files in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.0

to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Client\4.0.1

You won't 'really' have 4.0.1 but I read elsewhere that performing the copy allowed PS CS4 to run.

You'd also want to do it for the c:\Program Files\Common Files\..., too.
                                                            • 27. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                              Level 1
                                                              CR you're correct. I did just that before reading your reply. I created a new folder structure under client by copying the 4.0.0 and renaming the folder 4.0.1. Worked fine on both CS4 and CS4 64bit. That still doesn't solve the issue of there still being 4 updates that will not install either manually or using AUM. Anyway I'll pass this suggestion around to others having the same issue.
                                                              • 28. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                                CR Henderson Level 3
                                                                >LB Boyd:That still doesn't solve the issue of there still being 4 updates that will not install either manually or using AUM.

..and from all outward appearances that won't change. Apparently the number of those of us who have problems with the AUM is not sufficient to cause Adobe to find a solution.
                                                                • 29. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                                  > Apparently the number of those of us who have problems with the AUM is not sufficient to cause Adobe to find a solution.

It's been broken in one way or another for years and years
                                                                  • 30. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    I've been using Adobe for years. The AUM ever since I upgraded to Vista 64 has never worked correctly.
                                                                    JP, I had the exact same issue as you, tried the AUM, tried the manual install, I'm supposed to be the admin with full rights, and yet nothing worked. I tried your solution to rename the old file and it worked on my computer. Thanks for the help.
                                                                    • 31. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                                      mikeengles Level 1
                                                                      Hello

I used the installer, but found that Photoshop CS4 was using 5.2 when used with the open command, but Bridge CS4 was using 5.0.It did not matter if I used Bridge in Photoshop or independently.
                                                                      I then did the install manually.

Mike Engles
                                                                      • 32. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                                        Matthew Laun Adobe Employee
                                                                        Unfortunately, the cause of this problem is still under investigation by our engineering team. We've not yet been able to reproduce the failures in-house. I have documented how to extract yourself from the situation, and avoid it. Unfortunately, that involves a re-installation. Below is a link to the tech doc.

Note: This tech doc is not live as I type this (2009-02-05, 11:52 PST) but should be by the end of the day.

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb408524
                                                                        • 33. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                                          This is a continuation of case 201740736. I am following your instructions to uninstall cs4 and manually add the update camera raw 5.2. However when I try to uninstall cs4 (after deactivating it) I get the message 'uninstall cannot continue until the following application are closed 'adobe bridge'. This is the same message I got when i tried to add the updates in cs4. I have no applications open.
                                                                          • 34. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                                            John Joslin Level 6
                                                                            Have you checked under "Processes" in Task Manager?
                                                                            • 35. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                                              Never mind. I see in your other thread that you did have Bridge open.
                                                                              • 36. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                                                Level 1
                                                                                If Bridge won't go away even after you close the program window, you need to go to your tray, right click on the bridge icon & select Exit Bridge. That worked for me when I had to re-install ACR 5.2 (again!).
                                                                                • 37. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                                                  JP has it right. Bridge CS4 has what is referred to as a "stealth mode", as many other apps do, which allows it to run in the background for quick access when you activate it from other Adobe applications. This is feature only on the Windows platform. It can be disabled, either in the Preferences > Advanced or in the menu you get from right-click on the system tray icon. The first launch brings up a dialog asking if you want Bridge to launch at the system startup, and the default is Yes.
                                                                                  • 38. Re: ACR 5.2 not installing in CS4
                                                                                    BTW, the latest ACR update, 5.3, is using the full file replacement method instead of a binary patch to the existing files on disc, so it won't be affected by this update failure.

See also my latest post on this thread, which discusses the same basic updater issue:
                                                                                    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b77897/46

I recommend that you subscribe to the other thread, as it's getting the most traffic, and will certainly be updated when updates are re-posted.

Sincerely,
                                                                                    Matthew