6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2008 4:30 AM by Bill_Janes

Nikon D700 Opens .6 to 1 stop over exposed in ACR 5.2

My D700 histogram shows the pix to be properly exposed but when I open them in ACR all images are .6 to 1 stop over exposed. While I can reduce exposure in ACR I have not had this problem in CS3 with my D100 & D200 cameras. What's the fix?
        • 1. Re: Nikon D700 Opens .6 to 1 stop over exposed in ACR 5.2
          Ann Shelbourne Level 1
          Just choose a different Camera profile or create a Custom setting.

On the other hand, it could be that your metering method is causing you to over-expose by 1/3 of a stop in the first place?
          • 2. Re: Nikon D700 Opens .6 to 1 stop over exposed in ACR 5.2
            rasworth Level 1
            Also try setting the ACR colorspace to ProPhoto and then checking the ACR histogram. Often an exposure will be ok, but sRGB and even Adobe1998 will cause one or more channels to appear clipped.

Richard Southworth
            • 3. Re: Nikon D700 Opens .6 to 1 stop over exposed in ACR 5.2
              Bill_Janes Level 2
              >My D700 histogram shows the pix to be properly exposed but when I open them in ACR all images are .6 to 1 stop over exposed. While I can reduce exposure in ACR I have not had this problem in CS3 with my D100 & D200 cameras. What's the fix?

This is routinely observed with the D3, since ACR uses a baseline exposure of +0.5 EV for the D3 as I and others have previously posted. The same thing is likely happening with your D700. Try changing your default exposure setting ACR to -0.5 EV.

It is always advisable to compare the camera and ACR histogram with the raw histogram using Rawnalize or a similar progrem.
              • 4. Re: Nikon D700 Opens .6 to 1 stop over exposed in ACR 5.2
                Level 1
                I've reset Color Space to ProPhoto and changed the ACR default to -0.6 EV as suggested and I'm back in business for a great opening start. Many thanks for your suggestions

Dave
                • 5. Re: Nikon D700 Opens .6 to 1 stop over exposed in ACR 5.2
                  Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                  >My D700 histogram shows the pix to be properly exposed

The histogram you see on your camera is NOT based on your raw image directly, but on the JPEG preview created by the camera's built in software and to which adjustments are automatically applied.

Just another one of the (many) reasons why I say histogram, shmistogram!
                  • 6. Re: Nikon D700 Opens .6 to 1 stop over exposed in ACR 5.2
                    Bill_Janes Level 2
                    >The histogram you see on your camera is NOT based on your raw image directly, but on the JPEG preview created by the camera's built in software and to which adjustments are automatically applied.

What Ramón says is quite true, but you can compare the raw histogram to the camera histogram, With the Nikon D3 set to Adobe RGB and the standard Picture Control, I have found that the camera histogram and blinking highlights are slightly conservative but are generally reliable indicators of the raw histogram. Since the D3 and D700 have essentially the same image processing, I would think that this would also be true for the D700. (since inline images are not allowed in these forums, the message is hard to read since you have to click on the link to see the image. Ramón has figured out a way to have thumbnails with Pixentral, but I have not found a way to do this with my site, Smugmug)

Bill Janes, "ETTR and ACR" #3, 12 Nov 2008 6:37 am

One must be aware that the black and white camera histograms are luminance histograms which are strongly weighted towards the green luminance, whereas the ACR histogram is an RGB histogram and is similar to the color histograms of the camera superimposed on one another.

Both of these histograms reflect white balance. The red and blue channels may appear blown on the camera histogram or ACR histogram when in fact these channels are far from clipping in the raw file. Some users load a UniWB into the camera to get a better approximation of the raw channels.

Since the widest space in the camera is aRGB, the camera histogram may show saturation clipping with intact raw channels. It would be nice if Nikon would also provide ProPhotoRGB as a color space.