13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2009 4:09 PM by JimHess-8IPblY

NEF problem.

I just upgraded from elements 6 to CS2. I am trying to find the NEF plug in. I keep getting error that is can not open because wrong type of file. I tried downloading the camera raw and dng plug in, but that doesnt help. I am running on vista if that helps. Thank you very much
        • 1. Re: NEF problem.
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          Well, there are a number of things that could be wrong. First of all, Photoshop CS2 will only work with Camera Raw 3.x, and the last version that was released was 3.7.

With Camera Raw 3.7, you are limited to "native" raw support for the cameras supported by that version. There will be no more updates of Camera Raw for Photoshop CS2. If you installed a more recent version of Camera Raw then you need to go back to the Adobe download page and get 3.7 and install it correctly.

If your camera is one of the newer ones that was not supported by Camera Raw 3.7, then you need to download the latest version of the DNG converter and convert your raw images to the digital negative format. Then you will be able to open those DNG files, but only after you have correctly installed the appropriate version of Camera Raw.
          • 2. Re: NEF problem.
            Level 1
            The version I installed 3.7. I am using a Nikon D40x. So it is an older model.
            • 3. Re: NEF problem.
              athegn Level 2
              Nikon D40x was not supported until ACR 4.0.

You must use the stand alone DNG converter, http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4214, to convert your NEF files into the DNG format then open them in CS2, via ACR 3.7.

Or upgrade to CS4.
              • 4. Re: NEF problem.
                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                I just checked the list of supported cameras for ACR 3.7. The D40 was added in that version, but the D40x did not exist at the time. You are still going to have to download the DNG converter and use it to convert your images to the DNG format. That is the only way you will get support for your raw images with Photoshop CS2. Be sure to download DNG converter 5.2. The installer will also install profiles for your camera.

Just for clarification, you always want to use the latest version of the DNG converter as it will have the support for the greatest number of cameras. And the DNG files it creates are compatible with all versions of ACR back to 2.4.
                • 5. Re: NEF problem.
                  Level 1
                  The D40x is not listed as a supported camera in ACR 3.7.
                  --
                  Charlie...
                  http://www.chocphoto.com
                  • 6. Re: NEF problem.
                    Level 1
                    crap. So I should have never upgraded. I can edit my raw images in my elements
                    • 7. Re: NEF problem.
                      JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                      You can edit them in CS2 as well. All you have to do is use the DNG converter. You should consider upgrading to Photoshop CS4. Camera Raw 3.7 is archaic compared to what the new version will do.
                      • 8. Re: NEF problem.
                        Why does it matter to Adobe's Camera Raw program what model of camera you have?

A file format is a file format regardless of the model of camera you have.

Nikon told me their .NEF is the same in all their cameras.
                        • 9. Re: NEF problem.
                          Thomas Knoll Level 2
                          >A file format is a file format regardless of the model of camera you have.

Not true.

>Nikon told me their .NEF is the same in all their cameras.

If that is true (which it is not), please explain to me why Nikon needs to update their own raw conversion software every time they come out with a new camera model?

Older Nikon raw conversion software cannot read the NEF files from new cameras.

Why do you expect Adobe's software to do something that Nikon's software is unable to?
                          • 10. Re: NEF problem.
                            Level 1
                            >Nikon told me their .NEF is the same in all their cameras.

If that is an accurate quote, Nikon is full of crap...not all NEFs are created equal. Nikon is constantly changing what metadata is stored where and each and every sensor is different so, each and every NEF from various camera models is different. Which is why each and every camera model's raw file must be decoded separately.
                            • 11. Re: NEF problem.
                              Level 1
                              Jeeesh, you best me Thomas!

:~)
                              • 12. Re: NEF problem.
                                Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                                Martin,

Stop listening to morons, even if the tell you they work for Nikon.
                                • 13. Re: NEF problem.
                                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                  Martin,

Among all of the metadata that are stored in each raw file is the specific camera model. ACR reads that information so that it knows which camera profiles to make available for that model. Unfortunately, Nikon gave you some very bad information. Specific camera profiles must be created for each camera model. This is true not only for Camera Raw bad for Nikon's own software as well.