4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2008 10:18 AM by hegle25

Camera Raw 5.2.0.65 opens in German in Photoshop CS4

hegle25
      Hi,

Mac OS X 10.5.6 MBP. I installed the Camera Raw 5.2.0.65 plug-in a while back but since I do most of my image processing in LR 2.2 I hadn't used Camera Raw in PSCS4 or Bridge until tonight when I opened a JPEG from PSCS4 and it opened in Camera Raw. Much to my astonishment all the menus were in German. My operating system language is US English! I navigated to the Camera Raw plug-in and opened the Camera Raw.plugin Info window and under languages there were many but not English. I went to Adobe's web site and downloaded the updater again but it wouldn't run because it said CR was already installed even after I put it in the trash(I didn't delete it though). I don't know how to add English to the plugin.

Any ideas why the Camera Raw plugin doesn't show English as one of the languages? Any solutions?

Thanks for any help.

Hattie
        • 1. Re: Camera Raw 5.2.0.65 opens in German in Photoshop CS4
          Level 1
          >Any ideas why the Camera Raw plugin doesn't show English as one of the languages? Any solutions?

Yeah, I had a similar issue a while back. It seems that there can be issues if you have ANYTHING in the install location that is anything other than what the installer expects. You may get an incomplete install which is what happened to me. I ended up with Italian instead of German and while Italian is a pretty language, it's pretty odd to see all the control in a foreign. My problem is that Camera Raw would come up normally when hosted by Bridge but come up in Italian when hosted by Photoshop. What it means is that your install is pretty hosed...

The way I fixed it is I had to removed several renamed plug-ins including 5.0 and 5.1 that I had in the folder and switched between using the ¬ (option L) character, install a properly named CameraRaw.plugin which was 5.1, redownload and the reinstall the plug-in. That fixed it. Oh, you may also have to trash your Photoshop prefs...now 5.2 is running only in English. Funny thing is, I know Camera Raw so well, I actually could use the Italian language to work with, but it kinda sucked for doing screenshots which had to be in English...

:~)
          • 2. Re: Camera Raw 5.2.0.65 opens in German in Photoshop CS4
            hegle25 Level 1
            Jeff,

No matter what I tried and even with an empty /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS4/File Formats folder, I could not reinstall the Camera Raw plug-in because the updater told me to quit because it was already installed. Sigh. So I looked in the package contents of the updater and found the English US language folder and dropped it into the Camera Raw.plugin folder and in the Info window English was listed and checked as were all the other languages but PSCS4 still opened Camera Raw in German. Sigh. So I opened the Camera Raw.plugin Info window and unchecked every language except English. After quitting and restarting PSCS4, Camera Raw opened in English!!! I far prefer the days when Camera Raw did not require an installer.

How does one trash the Photoshop preferences?

Hattie
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw 5.2.0.65 opens in German in Photoshop CS4
              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
              >How does one trash the Photoshop preferences?

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb405012
              • 4. Re: Camera Raw 5.2.0.65 opens in German in Photoshop CS4
                hegle25 Level 1
                Thanks Ramón, I had forgotten.