8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2009 8:21 AM by JimHess-8IPblY

ACR 4.6.x and Leica RAW files (*.RWL)

(Monglane)
      I use Photoshop CS3 and have no plans to upgrade at this time.

My ACR version is 4.6.0.30.

I shoot Nikons, but recently acquired a Leica D-LUX4. Its RAW files are .RWL. Those files are not recognized by ACR, and thumbnails do not even show in Windows (XP, SP2).

Is there any solution to this problem ?

Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: ACR 4.6.x and Leica RAW files (*.RWL)
          John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
          The Adobe DNG Converter (version 5.2) supports the Leica D-LUX4...

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4213

You can convert the Leica files to DNG with this and then open them in ACR 4.6

John
          • 2. Re: ACR 4.6.x and Leica RAW files (*.RWL)
            (Monglane) Level 1
            Thanks John !

It's a workaround that works well, even though it's one more step in the process.
            • 3. Re: ACR 4.6.x and Leica RAW files (*.RWL)
              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
              Monglane,

The upgrade to CS4 in order to be able to use ACR 5.2 is well worth the money. ACR 5.2 is way ahead of 4.6.
              • 4. Re: ACR 4.6.x and Leica RAW files (*.RWL)
                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                I'm not disputing whether or not Photoshop CS4 is "well worth the money" or not. I made a few choices, and now upgrading is not in my immediate future plans. Maybe I will wait for CS5. But what I don't understand is why people complain about the "extra step" required to use DNG. You have to download the images to your computer before you can work on them. All you do is either use the DNG converter or the Bridge download utility to download/convert the images. That is done seamlessly, and then the workflow is the same.

My camera is fully supported by ACR 4.6. But I still prefer to convert to DNG, primarily because I don't want to have to worry about all the XMP files. Yes, I know they aren't very big, but I don't like the clutter. But that's just my own preference.
                • 5. Re: ACR 4.6.x and Leica RAW files (*.RWL)
                  (Monglane) Level 1
                  Thanks for your opinion, Jim.

Like you, I may wait for CS5 before I upgrade.

However, with Nikon RAW files (.NEFs), all I have to do once my RAWs have been downloaded to my hard drive by simple drag-and-drop, is double-click one of the .NEF icon to automatically launch Photoshop *and* ACR.

Now, with those unsupported .RWL files, I need to launch another utility (either DNG Converter or Capture One supplied with the Leica camera --haven't figured out how to use it properly *and* don't wanna learn yet one more pice of software, really), do the conversions, close the utility application, then start my normal workflow process.

As I said, one one more step, and less seamless.
                  • 6. Re: ACR 4.6.x and Leica RAW files (*.RWL)
                    MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                    It is a question of tradeoffs. I agree the extra step makes the workflow less than ideal, but then again you pay nothing extra.
                    • 7. Re: ACR 4.6.x and Leica RAW files (*.RWL)

The following error occures when i try to convert a folder of rwl files into dng files,

could you help me please, i can't find it out.

---------------------------

Error

The source folder does not contain any supported camera raw files.

OK  

this is an example of the filename: L1040019.RWL
                      thanx, jean.

• 8. Re: ACR 4.6.x and Leica RAW files (*.RWL)
                        JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

architect@storme-vanranst wrote:

The following error occures when i try to convert a folder of rwl files into dng files,

could you help me please, i can't find it out.

Error

The source folder does not contain any supported camera raw files.

OK  

this is an example of the filename: L1040019.RWL
                        thanx, jean.

What version of the DNG converter are you using?  You want to be using the most recent.  Don't try to match the DNG converter with your version of Camera Raw.  Always use the latest version.