2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2009 12:34 PM by Joanne Mead

Help me solve color and dark print issue with a new monitor recommendation!

Photo_op8 Level 1
      I know, I hate "surveys" too. I'm thinking of attacking my color and dark printing issues w\LR and CS4, by investing in a new monitor. I currently have an 20' early edition Apple Cinema Display. The monitor is the last hardware (software) item in my current upgrade cycle. From those folks who are NOT having color or print problems, what displays are you using (or would recommend)? Ah, and price is an issue. Apologies in advance to those who think this is not appropriate use of the Forum.
        • 1. Re: Help me solve color and dark print issue with a new monitor recommendation!
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          How do you calibrate and profile your monitor? Calibration is by far the most important thing you can do. Second to that is the monitor. That cinema display is probably quite good if you calibrate it. Lastly, dark prints are often caused by the monitor being too bright and the print viewing condition being too dim. Cinema displays often should be used around 2/3 of the brightness scale.
          • 2. Re: Help me solve color and dark print issue with a new monitor recommendation!
            Joanne Mead
            Monitor calibration is the first port of call. Sometimes changing one item in a system is enough to show up a colour management issue. You suggest that the monitor is the last item in your upgrade cycle, what all have you changed? Computer, printer? There may also be a setting you have failed to set when you installed the new software, eg. have you remembered to set relative colorimetric with the black point compensation box ticked, disable colour management in your printer driver and put an appropriate colour profile for your monitor onto the new computer? You also need the correct profile for your printer/paper combination set up in Photoshop.

If you haven't calibrated your monitor, that on its own will give you poor prints, but all the other bits are needed also.

Jo