4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2009 10:26 AM by (David_Zappa)

D3 XMP - Camera RAW

MAC OSX 10.5.6
      Hi, I'm totally new to this but need help with something: when opening a RAW file of my D3 I "finally" noticed that Camera Raw (latest version) does not take into onsideration the settings I may have configurated on ma camera, such as detail, contrast etc. Adding to that Camera raw applies automatically some settings like black (5 points) etc.

I believe this all has to do with the XMP files that come with each image right? But if I try to load the settings the XMP files of each image are not selectable.

what am I doing wrong? Plus, is there a plugin that allowes to show the focusing point of the image like in Nikon View NX?

Thank you so much.
      David
        • 1. Re: D3 XMP - Camera RAW
          Ann Shelbourne Level 1
          > noticed that Camera Raw (latest version) does not take into onsideration the settings I may have configurated on ma camera, such as detail, contrast etc.

That is because those settings only affect captured JPEGS they have no affect on RAW files and you would add those parameters to your RAW files while editing them in ACR.

>Adding to that Camera raw applies automatically some settings like black (5 points) etc.

You can change that in ACR by saving new settings as your Default Settings from the fly-out menu in the settings panel.
          • 2. Re: D3 XMP - Camera RAW
            Level 1
            Ann, but is there a way to import into ACR the xmp files that come with each photo? If I go into the fly out menue of ACR and click on load settings I end up into the default folder where settings are store and also these are XMP files so I thought that if I go into my imported images folder and select one of those XMP file sit might work instead of "re adjusting" in ACR. but those files are not selectable.

regarding a plug in or else giving the focusing point???
            • 3. Re: D3 XMP - Camera RAW
              Dennis 1111 Level 2
              David,

In practical terms, white balance is the only in-camera setting that ACR will pick up in a more-or-less direct fashion. Things like sharpness, contrast, and saturation will not be transferred. Camera manufacturer software WILL usually use those in-camera settings for starting points for raw development but ACR will not.

So you need to make a decision:

If you absolutely LOVE using those in-camera controls, constantly change them on a per-image basis, and need that your raw developer uses those settings as initial starting points - well, your only option is to use the camera manufacturer's software (someone will correct me if there is another independent raw developer that uses those settings but I doubt it. It is a lot of work to keep up with multiple manufacturer raw formats let alone all the additional variables of these special, in-camera settings).

If you like the IDEA of some presets that you can use for certain types of images but are flexible for another approach, then define new presets in ACR that mimic what you like (high saturation, low contrast, extra sharpness, black & white, etc.) and use those in ACR, forgetting the in-camera settings. You can apply those presets very easily either on an image-by-image basis inside the ACR dialogue or to multiple images at once using the Develop command in Bridge.

ACR won't show focusing points either. Again, I don't think any other independent raw developer will do this either (Capture One, Bibble, etc.) but maybe there is an exception.
              • 4. Re: D3 XMP - Camera RAW
                Level 1
                Dennis,

you have been VERY clear. Thanks a lot. I guess I'll create presets in ACR and go with those.
                THANKS!!!!!