2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 4:02 PM by Omke Oudeman

Convert to dng in Bridge or standalone converter?

DS_Nelson Level 1
      I've recently taken the plunge and am now working with .dng files instead of the camera-specific raw files. So far, so good.

I've used the Adobe standalone dng converter to convert older, archived raw files. No issues there. What I'm wondering is, as I ingest new files into Bridge, is it better to make the conversion at that point, using the "convert to dng" option in the Photo Downloader? Or should I just ingest the camera-specific raw files, then convert them after the fact with the standalone converter?

The reason I ask is, in another thread here , Eric Chan commented that You should always use the latest version of the DNG Converter. Since I'm one of those uncooperative customers that's still using PS CS3, with no immediate plans to upgrade, I'm a little confused as to which conversion method should be used.
        • 1. Re: Convert to dng in Bridge or standalone converter?
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          Theoretically, I don't believe it really matters. If the Bridge method works the DNG files should be fine. But if you encounter some raw files that are not recognized then it would be necessary for you to use the standalone DNG converter. The reason Eric recommends using the latest version is that it will support the greatest number of different camera models. I don't believe there is any real difference in the DNG file structure that Bridge creates when compared with the one the standalone converter makes, but I could be wrong.
          • 2. Re: Convert to dng in Bridge or standalone converter?
            Omke Oudeman Level 5
            For ingestion of new files explore the advanced setting of photodownloader. You can change the settings to back up your original Raw format files to another disk, rename and convert to DNG and add a copyright template in one go. :-)