9 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2009 2:30 PM by joltar

Real World Camera Raw CS4 File Access

Hi,

I recently purchased a copy of Jeff Schewe's Camera Raw book for CS4. One reason among many that I purchased the book was to work through the example files in the book that are available on the website.

For some reason I am having trouble downloading the files. The problem I am experiencing is an access problem. When asked for the user name and password I can get to the page where the downloadable files are located. But once there, when I go to download individual files it keeps aksing me for the login information and even though I am providing the same login information, it denies me access.

I left two emails for the website sponsor but received no reply. Has anyone else had this problem and if so do you know the solution to getting passed this obstace?

Thanks,

John Arnold
        • 1. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS4 File Access
          Omke Oudeman Level 5
          You are right, the files are not reachable as usual, there must be something wrong with the site and you can either wait for an answer from Peachpit, or wait for an answer from Jeff (but he is on a trip to Antarctica and only back after a few weeks...) or do the right thing:

just go wild and try them on your own files (if you are not yet to trust that ACR settings are nondestructive - which they are btw- just copy some files and play around), you will see the same effects only on a different image :-)
          • 2. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS4 File Access
            Level 1
            Thanks for the input. You're right. There is plenty to learn by messing around on your own. But I also like applying Jeff's edits to see where he's taking the images. There is a lot to learn from that and in the last edition, it revealed to me that I really wasn't getting the most out of the sliders in Camera Raw. But I wouldn't have known that had I not applied Jeff's edits and then compared them to my own.

Thanks again for your feedback.

John
            • 3. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS4 File Access
              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
              I was able to download only the first zipped DNG file on that page and then all three of the zipped .atn action files. :/

Tried Firefox and Opera. Will try other browsers and report back if I have any success.
              • 4. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS4 File Access
                SUCCESS indeed!

The next web browser I tried, iCab , allowed me to download all the files in the Camera Raw CS4 page.

The first step was to update iCab to the latest version, iCab 4.2.5. (Incidentally iCab has come a long way! I'm impressed. It's faster than greased lightning.)

What I did then was to navigate to the main page, log in normally, then go to Tools > Links Overview, and click on the name of each of the files I needed in the sidebar on the left of the Links Overview window.

iCab is for the Macintosh only.
                • 5. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS4 File Access
                  Robert Shomler Level 4
                  The download column has *two* links for all but two of the image items. There is a graphic with DNG, that appears for each item, and under the graphics are descriptive texts such as "19.14 MB zipped DNG file." I've found that clicking on the text, not the graphic above the text, will work. Sometimes I still get the login panel. I click Cancel to the login panel and am able to continue with the dialog.

Net: Click on the text in the download column, not the DNG graphic.

The graphic and text links for action downloads are the same, as are the first image download (_MG_4472) and VB7J979.

This experience on WinXP using Firefox 3.
                  • 6. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS4 File Access
                    Level 1
                    Hi,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I was finally able to download the files for Jeff's new book. I think I was part of the problem. You have to click precisely on the link or it doesn't work. I was clicking on the DNG graphic and didn't realize that would create a problem.

John
                    • 7. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS4 File Access
                      Yes, that download page is less than optimally built.
                      • 8. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS4 File Access

(That last remark is not meant as criticism, but as a small tribute to the guru. )

EDITED months after the fact to restore emoticon after forum changeover.

Message was edited by: Ramón G Castañeda

• 9. Re: Real World Camera Raw CS4 File Access
                          joltar

Thanks to Jeff and the others who made suggestions.  I had to use the Tools option in Firefox and clear my browsing history, Cache and Authenticated sessions for the ogin to work.  Once in,  this time, I was able to download all the files without being asked for the login again.  Looking forward to using the book.