7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2009 7:12 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Tiff files are recognized as raw files

A large number of my tiff files are being recognized by Photoshop and Lightroom as raw files. They open in Camera Raw with +50 brightness and +25 contrast.

It has occurred in tiff files that I made by 1) scanning film 2) taken with Canon 10D 3) taken with Canon 20D 4) taken with Canon 5D.

All I do is make a few adjustments in curves and hue/sat. Then I save as tiff. Everything seems fine... until all of sudden, a few minutes later, the thumbnail changes on it's own and suddenly turns very bright. Then when I click on the tiff, it opens in Camera Raw with the added brightness and contrast.

Does anybody know why this is happening and how I can prevent it? I thought it might be a bug my CS3 program but I just upgraded to CS4 and it's still happening.

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Tiff files are recognized as raw files
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          There are settings in Bridge and in Photoshop preferences that allow you to open JPEGs and TIFFs in ACR. Uncheck them.

>+50 brightness and +25 contrast

Default settings.
          • 2. Re: Tiff files are recognized as raw files
            Level 1
            +50 brightness and +25 contrast are the default settings for raw files only. If I open a tiff file with camera raw, all settings are normally set to zero. Therefore, there is obviously something wrong these particular tiff files.

If I go into Camera Raw Preferences and disable tiff support, the files are fine in bridge but Lightroom still sees them as raw. Lightroom still adds +50 brightness and +25 contrast to these particular tiff files.

Please let me know if you have other ideas.
            • 3. Re: Tiff files are recognized as raw files
              >Therefore, there is obviously something wrong these particular tiff files.

Ah! That may be a clue: if the files are saved with any ACR adjustments, they will only open in ACR after that. Maybe you saved then without opening them in Photoshop first.

You should see the adjustment icon over the thumbnails in Bridge if this is the case.

You would need to go to the Edit menu in Bridge: Edit > Develop Settings > Clear Settings to stop that, although at that point you'd lose the adjustments.

Can't comment on Lightroom, sorry. I tried it and hated it, so I don't use it.
              • 4. Re: Tiff files are recognized as raw files
                Level 1
                Thanks again. Yes, these tiff files have an adjustment icon over the thumbnails in Bridge. I'm aware of the fact that I can clear the settings with edit>develop settings>clear settings. But I want to stop this from happening in the first place. I don't know how they are getting ACR adjustments since I didn't even open some of these files with ACR. Some of the these files came straight from the film scanner. I just scanned, saved as tiff...then all of a sudden they have ACR settings. I don't know why.

With my raw files...all I do is open the file in Photoshop, make a few adjustments, then save as tiff. All of a sudden, the images turn SUPER BRIGHT with the +50 brightness and +25 contrast.

I would like to email a few of these corrupted files to somebody who works for Adobe so they can look at them and help me figure this out. Do you know how I can do that?
                • 5. Re: Tiff files are recognized as raw files
                  Ann Shelbourne Level 1
                  Change the ACR defaults to show zero brightness and contrast.

Regarding your scans: I save all of my scans as Tiffs and do all subsequent adjustments by opening hundreds of them at the same time in ACR 5.2 because it is so much quicker and more efficient than opening each file separately in Photoshop.

The ACR edits are also non-destructive and images can then be opened as Smart Objects in Photoshop CS4.
                  • 6. Re: Tiff files are recognized as raw files
                    Samm,

Perhaps you have your preferences set to always apply auto tone adjustments?

Again, I don't use Lightroom.
                    • 7. Re: Tiff files are recognized as raw files
                      I don't think those files are corrupted at all. What you described is normal, 100% expected behavioruntil you uncheck the preferences to apply auto tone adjustments and to open in ACR.

You can't normally send a file to Adobe until Adobe staff asks you to do so.