7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2009 8:11 AM by Ramón G Castañeda

Adobe Standard profile for 5D mark II includes tone curve?

In ACR, I see a "Point" tone curve with the "Adobe Standard" profile on Canon 5d Mark II files.

I've never seen a tone curve before on standard profiles for other cameras. I understand that tone curves are included in the camera standard, faithful, portrait and landscape profiles in attempt to match the in-camera jpegs. But I thought the Adobe Standard profiles were supposed to target only color (hue/sat) and leave tone up to the user.

Can someone verify that your system includes a point tone curve on 5D2 raws. Maybe my config is messed up.
        • 1. Re: Adobe Standard profile for 5D mark II includes tone curve?
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
          Hi Kelly,

All "Adobe Standard" profiles have a point tone curve (and share the same curve). This is the default Camera Raw curve which goes back to Camera Raw 4 (even before we released the "Adobe Standard" profiles).

In other words, what you have noticed is not limited to the Canon 5D Mark II Adobe Standard profile. It is true of all Adobe Standard profiles.
          • 2. Re: Adobe Standard profile for 5D mark II includes tone curve?
            Level 1
            Thanks, Eric. I really appreciate the reply.

It's not a big issue, because I'll get around to setting my own custom settings as soon as I solve the problem with strange Bridge previews of 5D Mark II files (please see my other messages).

But I'm still confused. All my past experience has been with a Canon 20D and a Canon 1Ds (original version). I've checked and re-checked several old raw files from those cameras. I don't see any tone curves in ACR for those files (raw or DNG), regardless of what camera profile I select. I have profiles ACR 2.4, ACR 4.4, and Adobe Standard.
            • 3. Re: Adobe Standard profile for 5D mark II includes tone curve?
              Kelly, when you say that you "see" tone curves in ACR for those files, what exactly do you mean? Where are you looking to make this determination?
              • 4. Re: Adobe Standard profile for 5D mark II includes tone curve?
                Level 1
                Dear Eric,

I have Photoshop/Bridge CS3 and Camera Raw Version 4.5.0.175 on Windows XP (SP2).

To "see" tone curves I launch Bridge, navigate to a folder, double-click a raw or DNG file and get the ACR window.

In the ACR window, I click on the "Camera Calibration" tab and navigate through the various Camera Profiles.

For each profile, I click on the "Tone Curve" tab and view both the "Parametric" and "Point" curves.

For canon 5D Mark II DNG files there is always a "Medium Contrast" Point Curve, under every camera profile. I do not have a Canon 1Ds Mark III, but I have downloaded a sample raw file and converted it to DNG. For this DNG I also see a Medium Contrast Point Curve under every profile.

For my Canon 20D and Canon 1Ds raw or DNG files the Point and Parametric curves are flat under every camera profile.

When I downloaded the latest DNG converter and DNG Profile Editor, I'm reasonably confident I also downloaded and installed the most current camera profiles.

For Canon 5D2 files I see the following profiles: Adobe Standard, Camera Faithful, Camera Landscape, Camera Neutral, Camera Portrait, and Camera Standard, in that order.

For the Canon 1DS Mark III image I see all those profiles, plus ACR 4.4 and ACR 4.3

For Canon 20D files I see all those profiles, plus ACR 4.4 and ACR 2.4

To make sure I'm not picking up any presets, I have invoked the pop-up menu in ACR and selected "Reset Camera Raw Defaults". Then, for each file viewed in ACR I checked the pop-up menu again to make sure "Camera Raw Defaults" was checked.

And a reminder, all this was after I had created a number of custom profiles from Macbeth Color Checker images using the DNG Profile Editor. Those custom profiles created a problem with Bridge previews, so I removed all of them before viewing Point Curves as described above. Still hoping to get some feedback on the Bridge preview problem I described in this message:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb6a869.59b790c8
                • 5. Re: Adobe Standard profile for 5D mark II includes tone curve?
                  Yammer Level 4
                  Assuming you have Camera Raw defaults set to be specific to camera serial numbers. I think the different CR tone curves you see with each camera are a function of the Camera Raw defaults you have chosen for that camera - not their camera calibration profiles.

If you select one of the flat profile cameras, change the point curve to Medium Contrast, and then select 'Save as New Camera Raw Defaults' you should then see that curve applied to all its undeveloped raws from there on.
                  • 6. Re: Adobe Standard profile for 5D mark II includes tone curve?
                    Kelly, your choice of camera profile in the Camera Calibration pane has no effect on anything in the Tone Curve pane.

As Keith noted above, what you are likely seeing here are differences in per-camera defaults that you have set up for these different cameras.

Consider the following experiment:

1. Open a 5D II raw file in the CR plug-in and click on the flyout menu (the little triangle on the right). Choose the bottom option, "Reset Camera Raw Defaults". Then choose "Camera Raw Defaults" from the same flyout menu. Finally, visit the Tone Curve pane and look at the curves and settings. You can choose whatever profile you want in the Camera Calibration tab; they should have no effect on the Tone Curve settings.

2. Do the same procedure with the Canon 20D raw files. You should see the same Tone Curve settings as in Step 1. And similarly you can choose whatever profile you want in the Camera Calibration tab; they should have no effect on the Tone Curve settings.