7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2009 6:04 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Camera Raw 5.2  Windows PSE6

I have downloaded Camera Raw 5.2 onto my desktop and when I opened it PSE6 openedd also, so I thought it was ready to go but when I try to import raw files, I get the message that the files can't be read. What else do I need to do to have PSE6 read my raw files?
      thank you,
      denise
        • 1. Re: Camera Raw 5.2  Windows PSE6
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Denise,
          >What else do I need to do to have PSE6 read my raw files?

Errrmmmm what about installing the ACR 5.2 plug-in according to the very detailed instructions on the downloads page. :)

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4220

To install with Adobe Photoshop Elements: NOTE: You must follow all of the new instructions in order to successfully install the Camera Raw plug-in for Photoshop Elements.

1. Exit Photoshop Elements.

2. Open the download file, double-click CameraProfiles.exe, and follow the onscreen instructions.

3. Open My Computer.

4. Double-click Local Disk (C:).

5. Navigate to the location designated by your version of Photoshop Elements: (Please read [the path to the] directory carefully)

a. Photoshop Elements 6: Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

b. Photoshop Elements 7: Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 7.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

6. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version [in a location far away from the Photoshop Elements path] in case you need to revert back. Better yet, delete it altogether; you can always download it fro Adobe later in the extremely unlikely case you "need to revert back".

7. Copy the [new] Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.

8. Launch Photoshop Elements.
          • 2. Re: Camera Raw 5.2  Windows PSE6
            Level 1
            Thank you, Ramon, for all your help. I almost got it but I get stuck on steps 4, 5. I don't find what it says I should find when I double click on Local Disk C
            denise
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw 5.2  Windows PSE6
              Denise,

Are you saying that you do not find a Program Files folder when you double click on the icon of your C drive?

C: Program Files \Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats
              • 4. Re: Camera Raw 5.2  Windows PSE6
                Level 1
                Ramon,
                I find the Program Files Folder then when I open that up, I see all these folders and I don't know how to find the file:
                C: Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats
                thank you
                • 5. Re: Camera Raw 5.2  Windows PSE6
                  >I find the Program Files Folder

OK, now open that Program Files folder;

then, look for a folder called Adobe . Open that folder;

then, look for a folder called Photoshop Elements 6 . Open that folder;

then, look for a folder called Plug-Ins . Open that folder;

then, look for a folder called File Formats . Now open that folder and you're there.

That's what's meant by:

C: Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

You are going to put the downloaded and unzipped Camera Raw plug-in in that last folder you opened called File Formats . You want to replace the old, obsolete Camera Raw file you find there with the new version you downloaded and decompressed (unzipped) yourself.
                  • 6. Re: Camera Raw 5.2  Windows PSE6
                    Level 1
                    Ramon,
                    Thank you so much. I never would have done this without your help. A million thanks,
                    denise
                    • 7. Re: Camera Raw 5.2  Windows PSE6
                      :) You're welcome, Denise. This was an easy one, once I figured out what your problem was.