15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2009 1:08 AM by (-macman)

Camera RAW and iPhoto integration

>I want to edit a JPG or TIF image in iPhoto in ACR, but I seem to be unable to do that.
      >The panel with the pop-up menu to set Camera RAW when opening a JPG or TIF file from an ordinary Finder Folder I appears to be completely bypassed, when when coming from iPhoto.
      >Is there a setting somewhere that would force the JPG or TIF images to ACR (instead of PSE 6 proper) when I click Edit in iPhoto?
      >Does anyone have a solution?
      I need this for teaching purposes.

I run Leopard v10.5.6; iPhoto '08; PSE 6 (Mac) with ACR 5.2.

By the way, I also run CS4 and I can do the above with CS4 easily, by setting the preferences in
      CS4.

>iBobK
        • 1. Re: Camera RAW and iPhoto integration
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          In iPhoto you're just looking at a virtual copy (alias) of your files.

I only launched iPhoto once in my entire life, and I don't know anyone who uses iPhoto and ACR. iPhoto users routinely post here describing exactly what you see.

You might want to do a forums search on iphoto.

>By the way, I also run CS4 and I can do the above with CS4 easily, by setting the preferences in CS4.

Sure.
          • 2. Re: Camera RAW and iPhoto integration
            Level 1
            >I want to edit a JPG or TIF image in iPhoto in ACR

First, make sure that you have Photoshop set up to edit JPG/Tiff files in ACR.

Given that, the easiest solution than is to drag the image file(s) from within iPhoto to the Photoshop icon in the dock.

iPhoto can also be set up in prefs to use PS as the eternal editor. Simply right-click in iPhoto and select
            b External Editor.
            • 3. Re: Camera RAW and iPhoto integration
              > First, make sure that you have Photoshop set up to edit JPG/Tiff files in ACR.

How do you setup Photoshop to open JPG files with ACR?
              • 4. Re: Camera RAW and iPhoto integration
                In Photoshop preferences.

Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling > Camera Raw Preferences > JPEG and TIFF Handling > JPEG:

Please read the documentation, and also use Photoshop Help.
                • 5. Re: Camera RAW and iPhoto integration
                  Level 1
                  Thank you for your help and patience. I couldn't find it in the Help and originally thought it was an iPhoto setting. Only to this thread when I did a Google search and realized it is a Photoshop setting.

Thank you again for help.
                  • 6. Re: Camera RAW and iPhoto integration
                    sp64,

You're welcome. :)

But, why on Earth would iPhoto be remotely involved? Personally I don't even know anybody who uses iPhoto, and, yes, I'm a Mac user.

There's no "integration" of iPhoto with Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

I assume you got Bridge with Elements for Mac. Try Bridge's Photo Downloader.
                    • 7. Re: Camera RAW and iPhoto integration
                      Level 1
                      > Personally I don't even know anybody who uses iPhoto,

And I know several dozen Mac users who use iPhoto regularly. Whats your point?

Am I correct in postulating that you also dont know anyone using iTunes, iMove, iDVD, GarageBand and Keynote per se, all which integrate seamlessly with
                      b iPhoto
                      to create stunning Slides Shows, DVDs, Presentations, Calendars, etc?

>There's no "integration" of iPhoto with Photoshop

Depends on your interpretation of integration. I showed a perfectly acceptable alternative in my earlier post.
                      • 8. Re: Camera RAW and iPhoto integration
                        >Whats your point?

What's yours? I wasn't even addressing you, whoever you are.
                        • 9. Re: Camera RAW and iPhoto integration
                          Wait are you the one who proclaimed himself "a proud owner of an iPod"? :D Now, it's coming back, slowly

All those applications or utilities you mention in #7 have nothing to do with Photoshop or its functions. They are irrelevant in this context.

Using iPhoto when you have a license for Photoshop is akin to hitch-hiking when your Bentley sits in your garage and your chauffeur twiddles his thumbs. There is a connection there.
                          • 10. Re: Camera RAW and iPhoto integration
                            Deleted accidental double post.
                            • 11. Re: Camera RAW and iPhoto integration
                              Level 1
                              >But, why on Earth would iPhoto be remotely involved? Personally I don't even know anybody >who uses iPhoto, and, yes, I'm a Mac user.

I use iPhoto for my >25,000 photo library/organization as well as sharing photo libraries with others on my home network. I use it just about every day. It is also my "gateway" to Photoshop CS3. I find a photo I want to edit/add to a collage/etc. and use iPhoto to launch Photoshop CS3. In addition, its seamless integration with the other iLife tools is perfect for what I need. I even use it with Apple's Aperture.

>There's no "integration" of iPhoto with Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

Not sure which version you're using, but iPhoto 8 works just fine with both Photoshop CS3 and Photoshop Elements 6. For the most part that is how I start either app. In fact, with your instructions above, I am now able to open JPGs with Adobe Camera Raw. I only start Photoshop or Photoshop Elements if I am starting something from scratch.

>All those applications or utilities you mention in #7 have nothing to do with Photoshop or its functions. They are irrelevant in this context.

Actually #7, it is very relevant. That is what I mean by seamless integration with the other iLife tools. The only ones listed in #7 that I haven't used is iTunes and Garage Band. All of the others I have used.

Hope this answers/addresses your question/comments.
                              SP
                              • 12. Re: Camera RAW and iPhoto integration
                                Level 1
                                > "a proud owner of an iPod"?

Strange that you find it amusing to be the proud owner of a device that revolutionized the music industry and, to date, generates billions in revenue for its founders.
                                Enlighten me, have you invented anything in your lifetime that even remotely compares with the iPods success?

Yeah, didnt think so!

> 
All those applications or utilities you mention in #7 have nothing to do with Photoshop or its functions. They are irrelevant in this context.

Hooey! They are relevant because, throughout its existence, youve been slighting iPhoto users and encouraging them to forgo the app in favor of Photoshop. In your eyes, iPhoto users are considered second-rate citizens, seemingly without the capability to think for themselves.

> 

Using iPhoto when you have a license for Photoshop is akin to hitch-hiking when your Bentley sits in your garage and your chauffeur twiddles his thumbs.

Right. And if an app doesnt have Ramond G Castanedas seal of approval, its worthless!
                                Launching an overly complex app for simple edits is really resourceful of ones time, isnt it! Do you also reach for a crowbar to dislodge a raised tack in your carpet?
                                • 13. Re: Camera RAW and iPhoto integration
                                  John Joslin Level 6
                                  Some remarks are better left unspoken/unwritten. Otherwise one risks making one's self look like a stupid old stick-in-the mud.
                                  • 14. Re: Camera RAW and iPhoto integration
                                    >Ramond G Castaneda

I do not know who said "Ramond" is. That is not my name.

Plonk!
                                    • 15. Re: Camera RAW and iPhoto integration
                                      Level 1
                                      Apologies for the mistype. Members (even iPhoto users) are astute enough to connect the dots. ;)

>Plonk!

- What a shame...