25 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2009 11:58 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory

bazherman Level 1
      I am editing a 135mb rgb tif in CR. Adjustments are successful but saving out fails due to insufficient memory message. Win xp quad core 2.4 4mb ram
        • 1. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
          Greg Barnett Level 2
          Is CR being hosted by Photoshop? If so, try lowering your ram allocation in the PS preferences, they both compete for the same resources. If hosted in Bridge, do you have a bunch of other applications running in the background?

I don't work with XP very often but you should be able take a look at things in the Task Manager to see if a process is hogging resources.
          • 2. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
            Dinarius Level 1
            I'm running CS4 64bit through Vista x64.

I process both 120Mb Canon files and 220Mb Hasselblad files.

ACR is always run via Bridge, never via PS.

Back in CS3 (to which I may yet be returning) I constantly got the dreaded "There was not enough memory error." when trying to save out Hasselblad files, so I had to save them out of ACR in twos and threes.

However, just now, for the first time ever, I have gotten the same error while trying to save out 12 Canon files. Incredible!

At this point in time, with the exception of the incredible Adjustment Brush, CS4 is a dog as far as I'm concerned. Unless that is, someone can tell me how to make it run properly.

As someone brilliantly described it elsewhere, using it is like "moving underwater".

Too true, alas.

D.
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
              Dinarius Level 1
              Furthermore....

Tried opening PS/CS4 and I got an error message saying that it had a problem with the graphics card and had disabled 'Enable OpenGL Drawing' in Preferences.

Fair enough, (though my graphics driver is up to date) but now I can't even save out 4(!!) Canon images from Bridge/ACR. Please note, NO OTHER program is open when Bridge/ACR are running.

CS4/64bit is seriously flawed methinks.

D.
              • 4. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                Level 1
                Dinarius@adobeforums.com wrote:
                > I'm running CS4 64bit through Vista x64.

How much RAM? How much swap? How much memory is consumed by ACR during
                processing when it fails vs when it works?
                • 5. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                  Dinarius Level 1
                  xbytor,

Thanks for the reply.

a. 8Gb RAM in total. I have allocated 60% to CS4 in PS/Edit/Preferences/Performance.

b. I have no idea what you mean by "swap". Please elaborate.

c. How do I check the memory consumption in ACR?

Thanks again.

D.

Edited: If this helps, in Task Manager, after a failure, I see Processes 58, CPU Usage 25% and Physical Memory 39%, while Bridge is listed as using 909,016.
                  • 6. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                    Dinarius Level 1
                    One more thing........

I rolled back the driver (since I had never EVER had a problem on CS3 with the old one) in the hope that this would make a difference.

So, just now I tried saving 6 Canon files. After two saves, I got the memory error message. Since I had highlighted the six images in order to save them, I clicked on the third one (still in ACR) with the intention of highlighting it alone and then saving it. I got a new error message: "Unable to switch image. There was not enough memory."

Woof! Woof!

D.
                    • 7. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                      bazherman Level 1
                      I'm back. I have had " error message saying that it had a problem with the graphics card and had disabled 'Enable OpenGL Drawing' in Preferences." once or twice but I went to preferences and switched it back on with no ill effects.
                      I am using up to 1.5gb out of 2gb or so freely available memory processing these 130mb files and despite there being no significant other memory users running I still get the file bounced. I can however process batch of 2, 90mb .tiff's I have not had any probs processing 26mb raw files in batch's of 60 or so. I am satisfied that there are numerous bugs and instability issues in CS4 which I guess Adobe will address with an update. For example program crashed while using Plug-in suite from OnOne and various toolbar buttons disappear on mouse over!
                      CR5.3 is Beta but other than issues as stated with big .tiffs seems to work as well or badly as earlier versions so I doubt if the final release will be significantly different, cheers
                      • 8. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                        adriana ohlmeyer Adobe Employee
                        Barry, can you please list the adjustments you made in ACR before attempting to save. How many images were being edit at the time? What camera model? Can you also send us your machine spec? (Launch Photoshop>got to help>System info)
                        • 9. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                          Dinarius Level 1
                          Barry,

Got exactly the same message as you about the problem with the graphics card and switching off 'Enable OpenGL Drawing'.

Frankly, I've given up on Bridge/ACR 5.2. It stinks. I now can only process Canon files ONE at a time! Incredible.

I rolled back the driver for my nVidia QuadroFX 1700 graphics card to the previous version (i.e. the version that has always run like a dream on CS3), but it made no difference.

PS/CS4 runs like a dream, but I've had to revert to CS3 for Bridge/ACR.

CS4 has serious issues on Vista X64 and it would be nice if they sorted them out since the Adjustment Brush is worth the update on its own, but now I can't use it.

Very, very disappointing.

D.
                          • 10. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                            adriana ohlmeyer Adobe Employee
                            Could you both please send me an email with details on your OS, exact steps on your adjustments and camera model so I can investigate this issue? aohlmeye@adobe.com Thank you!
                            • 11. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                              Dinarius Level 1
                              Adriana,

Thanks for your input.

I have sent you full details.

D.
                              • 12. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                                Dinarius Level 1
                                At Adriana's prompting, I downloaded the ACR 5.3 beta and it looks like it has solved all my problems.

Not alone can I now save out Canon files in just about any number, I can also save out Hasselblad files (225Mb) also.

Brilliant!

The ACR 5.3 beta is here>

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Camera_Raw_5.3#Download

Oddly, the prompts are repeated in the installation window (Windows version, don't know about the Mac). e.g. You are now about to install Adobe Camera RAW Beta 5.3, Adobe Camera RAW Beta 5.3, or words to that effect. Makes no difference, of course!

Thanks Adriana.

D.
                                • 13. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                                  CR Henderson Level 3
                                  >Dinarius:Oddly, the prompts are repeated in the installation window (Windows version, don't know about the Mac). e.g. You are now about to install Adobe Camera RAW Beta 5.3, Adobe Camera RAW Beta 5.3, or words to that effect. Makes no difference, of course!

I've noticed that, too, but thought it might be because it is being installed for both PS CS4 and Bridge.
                                  • 14. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                                    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                                    No, Bridge and Photoshop use one and the same ACR plug-in.

Are you on the 64-bit version of Windows or Vista? Another poster suggested that on such systems CS4 installs two versions of Photoshop, one 32-bit and another one 64-bit.

David Ross Williams, "ACR 5.3 RC will not install" #11, 23 Feb 2009 8:38 pm
                                    • 15. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                                      Dinarius Level 1
                                      Yes, I'm on 64bit, so that's probably the reason.

Not important anyway. The main point is that ACR 5.3 is the real deal! ;-)

D.
                                      • 16. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                                        Thanks for confirming that.
                                        • 17. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                                          Dinarius Level 1

Two points..............

1. It has only just dawned on me that the OP wrote about problems he was having with 5.3. At the time, I had 5.2 installed and, at Adriana's prompting, I installed 5.3 beta (and subsequently 5.3 release) and all my problems with memory leakage were solved. So, for the record, I never had problems with 5.3. Quite the contrary.

2. A couple of weeks back, I installed 5.4 beta and my problems returned to some extent - though not quite as bad. While 5.2 was unworkable - I kept getting the memory error message with even one or two Hasselblad files open in ACR - 5.4 beta only allows me to save three or four Hassie files at a time. I then have to go back to Bridge and open the next three or four.

However, I am also getting a new error message. In the main Bridge window, while dealing with Hassie files (not Canon) I am getting a "Bridge will soon run out of memory. It is suggested that you restart the program." error message. (This didn't even occur with the dreaded 5.2!) I know when this is about to happen because when I highlight a few images to open them in ACR, a scroll bar appears before they open. Bad sign! ;-)

I've just noticed that 5.4 full release is now available. I'm currently downloading and installing it, so I'll see how it goes.I hope that it's as good as 5.3.

How are others faring? Any memory problems?

I'm Vista x64 with 8Gb RAM.

Where, precisely, are Bridge's and ACR's memory allocations set? In PS/CS4's preferences?

In Bridge, under Edit/Camara Raw Preferences, what do others have the Camera Raw Cache size set to? I have it set to 10Gb. I have a very fast, internal 50Gb HD that I use exclusively as a scratch disk for PS. It is also the location for ACR's cache and Bridge's cache - currently only 140Mb of this disk are in use. So, there really shouldn't be any issues.

In Bridge, under Edit/Preferences/Cache, I have the cache size set half way between 10,000 and 500,000.

Finally, in PS, I have memory set to 70% and the 50Gb D: drive set as my number 1 Scratch Disk with my C: drive set as number 2.

Would appreciate any feedback.

D.

• 18. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                                            Jeff Schewe Level 5

Dinarius wrote:

Finally, in PS, I have memory set to 70% and the 50Gb D: drive set as my number 1 Scratch Disk with my C: drive set as number 2.

Even though you are using Vista 64 with 8 gigs, I'm not sure that it's advisable to set Photoshop's allocation to 70%. Since Camera Raw get's it's member either from Photoshop (when hosted by Photoshop) or Bridge you can't control Camera Raw's allocation at all. I also think Bridge is still a 32 bit app so that's one reason for the ram starvation. Try the Photoshop allocation at the Windows default of 50% and make sure you open the raw files via the 64 bit Photoshop (with the 64 bit version of Camera Raw) not in Bridge (which would be forced to use the 32 bit version of Camera Raw).

• 19. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                                              Dinarius Level 1

Jeff,

Many, many thanks for taking the time to reply directly. Very much

appreciated.

I never knew that Bridge CS4 was still only 32 bit. Opening in ACR via PS is

a neat suggestion and I will certainly give it a try.

My problem is only with my Hasselblad TIFFs (processed from 220Mb/4 shot

multi-shots, so they have to be TIFFs by the time ACR sees them), so I

assume that in PS choosing File/Open and selecting 'Camera Raw' from the

Files of Type menu in the dialogue is the only way to do this? If so, it's a

bit more longwinded than via Bridge.

With Adrian's help, 5.3 had solved the problem and I had considered

reverting back to it, but I'll try your workaround first.

Thanks again.

Denis Mortell

Ps. By sheer concidence, I bought both 'Real World Camer Raw' (first

impressions, marvellous!) and 'CS4 The Ultimate Workshop' (first

impressions, seriously high fibre, but I'm going to stick it out!) this

week. Love the Hands/Globe shot!

D.

• 20. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                                                Jeff Schewe Level 5

Dinarius wrote:

so I assume that in PS choosing File/Open and selecting 'Camera Raw' from the Files of Type menu in the dialogue is the only way to do this? If so, it's a bit more longwinded than via Bridge.

No, as long as you Control "O" instead of Control "R" you should be able to open in the 64 bit version of Photoshop, if it is already running. If you use Control "R" you will always only be hosting Camera Raw in Bridge...

Dinarius wrote:

Love the Hands/Globe shot!

Thanks for the kind words...impressive considering it was done with Photoshop 2.5 huh?

:~)

• 21. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                                                  xbytor2 Level 4
                                                  as long as you Control "O" instead of Control "R" you should be able to open in the 64 bit version of Photoshop, if it is already running.

Will PS automatically recognize the tiff as raw in this situation or do you also have to set your Camera Raw preferences appropriately in PS to have it open in ACR?

-X

• 22. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                                                    Dinarius Level 1

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm still a wee bit confused.

Firstly, I should have written in my last post (which I can't edit for some reason, though I can edit all my other posts) that, with PS open, I can open a TIFF in ACR by choosing File/Open As (not File/Open, as I wrote above) choosing 'Camera Raw' from the Files of type menu and then highligting the file and choosing open. All very well and all as described here> http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404656.html

However, oddly, unlike when I choose File/Open, the File/Open As option does not appear to allow me to choose a bunch of files from the folder (via Ctrl and clicking on each in turn) and then open them in ACR - only one at a time. Since I use ACR via Bridge for applying general changes to an entire folder of TIFFs (after they have been processed in Flexcolor), being able to open more than one at a time is crucial for me.

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong. Otherwise, I'm going back to 5.3.

Thanks.

D.

Edited:

Sorted!

I've left my post above un-edited in case it might be of help to those who were having the same problem. But, here is the solution.............

1. In PS, under Edit/Preferences/Camera Raw, under Jpeg and TIFF handling, 'Automatically open all supported Jpegs/TIFFs' *must* be selected in the drop down menus, not 'Automaticall open Jpegs/TIFFs with settings', which is what was selected on my computer (is that the default setting?).

2. Now when I choose File/Open (not File/Open as) and then 'Camera Raw' from the 'Files of type' drop down menu (leaving All Formats selected does not make ACR an option when you click on a file and choose 'Open with ...') I can Ctrl/click on a bunch of images and they will all open in ACR.

I just tried this on a folder of 14 220Mb files followed by a folder of 18 220Mb files. I made a change to them in ACR and then saved them. It ran through them like a train! If I had tried this via Bridge, it would have choked on any more than four or five files.

One very happy camper! ;-) I'm now getting full use of my x64bit/8Gb setup. Thanks to Jeff for bringing this neat work around to my attention.

Two further points:

1. In PS, after choosing File/Open, with 'All formats' selected, it would be nice to have ACR as a choice under 'Open with....' rather than having to select Camera Raw in 'Files of type'. Is it possible to edit the selection of programs offered in the 'Open with...' menu and add ACR?

2. When opening a large number of large files in ACR, the yellow triangle with the exclamation point appears over each file and disappears as each file is cached(?). The only way of knowing if the files further down the list have settled is by either scrolling down through them, or checking to see if the green light on the front of the computer tower has stopped flickering. It would be nice if ACR had something on screen (similar to the rotating circle that appears in PS when you are saving changes to a file) to indicate that it has done its thing.

D.

• 23. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory

Dinarius wrote:

…my last post (which I can't edit for some reason, though I can edit all my other posts)

You can edit any post of yours to which no one has replied.  Once someone has replied to a post, you can't edit that particular post of yours.

• 24. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory
                                                        Dinarius Level 1

Since the work around to the memory problem is a little long winded (hosting ACR via PS) I have two more questions:

1. Do Adobe intend to make Bridge 64bit?

2. I've never used Lightroom, but I note that it's 64bit. I presume that it's a standalone program and not 'hosted' by either Bridge or PS. So, would anyone recommend that as the solution? Does it have everything that ACR has?

Thanks.

D.

• 25. Re: Camera Raw 5.3 insufficient memory

Dinarius,

You're certain to find more Lightroom fans in the Lightroom forum.

(Just a thought, since I see no point in explaining whay I decided not to use Lightroom as I'm perfectly happy with Bridge, ACR and Photoshop.)