19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2009 5:54 PM by Ann Shelbourne

CustomHooks.dylib question

I have just purchased CS4 Design Premium for Mac and shortly after installation was notified the Adobe updater needed updating. After letting it do that, the updater went and found 400+ MB worth of further updates to various CS4 components. I also installed these and now notice the file CustomHooks.dylib loose in my Applications folder (I don't believe it was there after the original CS4 install from the disks). I know nothing about Camera Raw, but I think this file is related to it based on info on these forums. I did see a mention of the .dll version (Windows?) of this file, but I would like to ask specifically about CustomHooks.dylib on a Mac: can I safely delete this 60 kb file? I don't know anything about dynamic libraries but I see much larger ones are all over the Flash installation. I am running Mac OS 10.5.5. Thanks for any help.
        • 1. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
          Ann Shelbourne Level 1
          That file does get installed in Macs.

It is very small and is causing no harm on my machine and I don't suggest that you trash or move any files which are installed by default by CS4.
          • 2. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
            That CustomHooks file is left over by the Adobe installer, and is not a functioning part of the plug-in. You can safely delete the file.

Adobe says they hope to fix that oversight for the final release:

David Franzen, "ACR 5.3 RC - how to regress to 5.2?" #1, 24 Jan 2009 10:10 am
            • 3. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
              Level 1
              Ramón -

David F.'s answer in the thread link you provided refers to a .dll version of the CustomHooks library. I noticed your post #4 of that thread asked the same question I am asking now about the .dylib Mac version, but I don't see where you got a definitive answer. Have you in fact trashed the library and (if you use the Camera Raw plugin) is everything working smoothly?

Ann-

Normally I would be prone to follow your advice. It's just in this case, this file landed in my Applications folder (where it doesn't seem to belong) and as a result I now have one more icon in there than I can display in grid view, which is my preferred view for that folder. Lame maybe, but I'm used to it!
              • 4. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                Ann Shelbourne Level 1
                I don't think that it should be in your Applications folder that one I would trash!

On my System it parked itself in HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS4/File Formats

and I left it there.
                • 5. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                  Yes, of course I trashed it. Whether it's the Mac or the Windows version, the file is left there by the installer by mistake. It has the same function in both platforms and the installer should have erased it, if it were not because of the sloppiness of the programmers in the installer team, which is NOT part of the Bridge/Photoshop team.

You're free to disregard my advice, but then I wonder why you're asking in the first place. :/
                  • 6. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                    Ann Shelbourne Level 1
                    Are we sure that it is a mistake?

Might it not be there to act as a hook for the Installer when the 5.3 beta plug-in needs to be replaced with the real McCoy?
                    • 7. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                      >Are we sure that it is a mistake?

Yes. Positively.

>Might it not be there to

Sure, it might be there to brew my coffee too, but I don't think so.
                      • 8. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                        Just think about the gazillion folks who have not and will not install the beta RC.
                        • 9. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                          SG... Adobe Employee
                          Hi,

The CustomHooks.dylib file is useful and not something to be trashed outright. It is not a file needed for the functioning of the CR plug-in but is needed for uninstalling operations, not limited to beta RC usage.

David F. was communicating a misunderstanding. The location of the file in the application directory is a bug (so that instance can be deleted), but the file when installed to the correct location should not be deleted. The CR installers have had bugs on where this file is placed in the past.

The CR 5.3 update should be putting this file in the correct location (buried in a non-user facing location) . Depending upon your installed applications, this file will keep other necessary files from being removed when one of many applications is uninstalled. If the uninstalled application is solely resident, then this file should also be removed on uninstallation.

Hopefully this clears up some confusion.

regards,
                          steve
                          • 10. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                            Ann Shelbourne Level 1
                            Thank you Steve.

I had a feeling that it was probably needed if only because its "CustomHooks' name suggested that it had claws that were required for some purpose?!

:)

Incidentally, where exactly is it supposed to reside?

On my System it parked itself in HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS4/File Formats

Is that where it's meant to be installed?
                            • 11. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                              SG... Adobe Employee
                              Hi Ann,

I don't think that is where it is meant to be; I think that is from a non 5.3GM install. I'm not intimate with all the places it has landed.

Check HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Camera Raw 5/InstallerData/

That's where it is for me, but since I haven't been directly involved it may be intending to land elsewhere. Sorry for the cop-out; I'll see if I can confirm.
                              • 12. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                                Ann Shelbourne Level 1
                                >Check HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Camera Raw 5/InstallerData/

I have checked but all that is in that Camera Raw 5 folder is an AMT folder containing two files: "AUMProduct.cer" and "component.xml" that appear to date from 11/13/08, the day I installed "FontAgentPro 3.3" and Adobe Extension Manager upgrades :

HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Camera Raw 5/AMT/"AUMProduct.cer" and "component.xml".
                                • 13. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                                  Oh, Shingles! That's what I get for trusting David. ;) He's been very helpful in the past, so I won't hold it against him this time. :)

Thanks for the correction, Steve.

This scheme seems like a strange animal for Adobe to have let loose in the wild. :/

Nevertheless, the installation appears to have proceeded normally, without the CustomHooks.dylib file.
                                  • 14. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                                    One more question for steve guilhamet:
                                    >The CR 5.3 update should be putting this file in the correct location (buried in a non-user facing location) .

Does this relate to the ACR 5.3 update when applied through the auto updater only?
                                    • 15. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                                      >Does this relate to the ACR 5.3 update when applied through the auto updater only?

I think I just found my answer by experimentation, and that answer is YES.

If anybody is interested in re-generating a properly located CustomHooks.dylib file, here's what I did:

* Quit Photoshop and Bridge;
                                      * Manually removed the Camera Raw plug-in from its default location;
                                      * Replaced it with an older version of Camera Raw, in this case ACR 5.2.
                                      * Re-launched Photoshop;
                                      * Went to the Help menu > Updates and let the auto updater update ACR.
                                      * Followed the directions of the installer;

Now not only do I now have Camera Raw 5.3 (21), but an InstallerData folder was created in HD/ Library/ Application Support/ Adobe/Camera Raw 5/ > InstallerData . This folder did not exist before. The CustomHooks.dylib was created inside this InstallerData folder:

HD/ Library/ Application Support/ Adobe/Camera Raw 5/ InstallerData/ CustomHooks.dylib

Hope this helps anybody who had deleted the CustomHooks.dylib file after I quoted David Franz's post.
                                      • 16. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                                        Obviously, if you update ACR manually, you will have neither the CustomHooks.dylib file nor the InstallerData folder.

Presumably the Camera Raw 5.3 Release Candidate installer did not properly create an InstallerData folder, and that's why some of us found it in the Applications folder, where it does not belong. The final 5.3 release fixes this, but only if you use the auto updater.

Complicated.
                                        • 17. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                                          Ann Shelbourne Level 1
                                          What I discovered is that once you have used the Help/Update method to install any version of ACR 5.3 (as I did when installing 5.3 (16) Beta); the Updater will NOT install a subsequent version of ACR 5.3 such as ACR 5.3 (21).

I tried removing the Camera Profiles manually, and inserting an old 5.1 plug-in, and even after a re-boot, Help/Update could find no new Updates so i had to replace the 5.3 (21) components again manually.

I have actually found that the CS4 Updater normally DOES work but perhaps it works too well?

If we install Betas using it, it installs a "Receipts" PKG that subsequently indicates that we have previously installed the same version.
                                          • 18. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                                            You must have missed a step there, Ann, maybe a re-launch of Photoshop in between. ;)
                                            • 19. Re: CustomHooks.dylib question
                                              Ann Shelbourne Level 1
                                              Did that too! Twice. And rebooted twice too.

The Help/Update appears to be saying: "You have already installed that update, you fool; and I have no more updates for you at this time"!

Anyway, I created the "InstallerData" folder as you suggested and manually put everything to do with 5.3(21) back where it should be; and ACR is running perfectly.

I shall be interested in seeing how Help/Update handles the next Update.