10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 1:10 PM by tidaldesigns

Open Image from ACR in 32 bit not 64 bit?

digital gene
      I have CS4 64 bit windows vista and when I open the image from ACR or Open in Bridge it opens in the 64 bit CS4.
      I would like it to open in the 32 bit CS4 from ACR 5.3
      Can this happen?

Thanks for any help.
        • 1. Re: Open Image from ACR in 32 bit not 64 bit?
          Level 1
          Why do you have 64 bit if you want to use 32 bit?

I doubt there's much you can do unless you already have Photoshop open and running and have Camera Raw open hosted in Photoshop, not Bridge...Command (Control) 'O' from Bridge...
          • 2. Re: Open Image from ACR in 32 bit not 64 bit?
            digital gene Level 1
            Thanks Jeff,

Control "O" did the job.

I could not find that keyboard shortcut in Bridge help?

"Why do you have 64 bit if you want to use 32 bit?"

I did not know I had a choice I have a 64 bit computer and when I installed CS4 it installed both versions without giving me a choice.

I use CS4 64 bit, but when I need to use a third party plug in I have to use 32 bit.
            • 3. Re: Open Image from ACR in 32 bit not 64 bit?
              drisley
              Yup exactly, you have to install the 64 bit PS on a 64 bit OS. No choice.

So back to the original question and why doesn't the Bridge File Type Associations have any real world effect?
              • 4. Re: Open Image from ACR in 32 bit not 64 bit?
                tidaldesigns

Mr. Schewe, could you pleaes tell me how do you have PHOTOSHOP open

and then..

Host CAMERA RAW in PHOTOTSHOP

I went to Bridge and did the CTRL O from Bridge and it opens my external HD.

Could you please tell me how to do this?

Noone seems to have an answer yet, there are posts all over with this problem and Gene seemed to have gotten it to work for him. I know there is a way fo rme to, I am just missing a step.

can you please be so kind as to continue to beat this poor dead horse?

Much appreciation coming your way.

I looked thru pages 17-72 and there is NOTHING that says how exactly to fix : Program error when trying to open CR2 file in 32 bit PS while running windows Vista.

Thanks again, I hope you can help me.   I have to get to work...

Namaste'

Kimberly

• 5. Re: Open Image from ACR in 32 bit not 64 bit?
                  tidaldesigns Level 1

the newest version of the plug in has to be dropped manually into the program files for 32bit as it didnt do it automatically like it did with 64.

I dropped the latest version in the program file for 32bit PS and it works just fine in Bridge and Photoshop.

So now, I get my CR2 images in 64 and 32 bit.

I am just bummed it took me 8 weeks to get an answer....

This board situation is pretty tiresome.

I hope to God I never have to do it again.

And I am not the ONLY one this is happening to. I just can't answer everyone anymore since I posted I got it to work.

I posted the directions somewhere on a thread.

I hope I helped someone.

Now, what to do with my Camera Raw book next... thanks for such a great resource book

• 6. Re: Open Image from ACR in 32 bit not 64 bit?
                    John Joslin Level 6

tidaldesigns wrote:

I am just bummed it took me 8 weeks to get an answer....

It wouldn't have taken 8 weeks to read the bloody instructions!

• 7. Re: Open Image from ACR in 32 bit not 64 bit?
                      Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

Thank you for the clarification, Kimberly.

Now, if you feel up to it, can you enlighten us as to why someone with a 64-bit machine and a 64-bit version of Photoshop would want to run ACR in 32-bit mode?  Just asking, I use Photoshop on my Mac and there's no 64-bit version, so it doesn't affect me.

On the other hand, I have 16-bit printing on my Mac which you don't have in Windows. 

• 8. Re: Open Image from ACR in 32 bit not 64 bit?
                        John Joslin Level 6

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Thank you for the clarification, Kimberly.

Now, if you feel up to it, can you enlighten us as to why someone with a 64-bit machine and a 64-bit version of Photoshop would want to run ACR in 32-bit mode?  Just asking, I use Photoshop on my Mac and there's no 64-bit version, so it doesn't affect me.

Some people are using plug-ins which have not yet been updated to run in a 64-bit OS.

(And some plug-ins not only don't run, they mess up the UI by their very presence in the folder!)

And there are some peripheral drivers that don't work in a 64-bit environment

On the other hand, I have 16-bit printing on my Mac which you don't have in Windows. 

I know what I'd rather have! 

• 9. Re: Open Image from ACR in 32 bit not 64 bit?
                          tidaldesigns Level 1

Not that i need to justify  myself to anyone, however, with the thanks to the two people who asked me questions to get me to the answer that I needed it was then solved.

What do you care if it took 8 weeks for ME to get MY answer?  Shouldn't you be singing the praises of those 2 who kne how to fix the problem??? (guidelines....)

Perhaps you should read ettiquette guidlines again. Or perhaps being a COMMUNITY guide (one who guides the community..) is too stressful for you.. I feel sorry for folks who have to take something that has nothing to do with them personal.

I got the answer I needed, I got help, aren't you supposed to be supporting NEW people? (says that in the guidelines....)

Can't you just be glad someone finally got an answer by someone who could help?

I got the instructions YESTERDAY

if I were told where to see the directions before this I would have been up and running, I was however not.

These forums are confusing for those people who are not computer people and who are new.

I came here for help. and you are harassing me. I am asking you to please STOP.

• 10. Re: Open Image from ACR in 32 bit not 64 bit?
                            tidaldesigns Level 1

I bought CS4 Creative suite, I didn't have a choice to buy 64 bit or 32 bit creative suite.  My laptops OS is Vista 64 bit, and no, I don't like it, but I don't have a choice...

It auto installed 64 bit

It auto installed 32 bit

I have plug ins that ONLY work in 32 bit unfortunatly, I didn't have a choice to buy 64 bit plug ins or 32 bit plug ins.

They are just slow to get to the 64 bit platform is all.

Otherwise, I would be using the 64 bit.  I didn't have a choice in the matter.

That is everyone elses problem too.