3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2009 7:05 AM by MadManChan2000

ACR profiles clarification

I've seen one or two posts here that indicate the original ACR profiles (4.4 / 4.6 etc) are derived from a standardized color target to give accurate colors and that the new Adobe Standard profile is an adjustment to that intended to give a more pleasing rendition. Is this correct?

Reason I ask is that there seems to be a significant difference in color output of the original ACR profiles when comparing the D40X and D700. Generating a profile from a ColorChecker target shows the D40X needs significant additional saturation (an average of +4.3 saturation across each of the 18 colors), while the D700 needs a little less saturation (an average of -1.1 saturation across each of the 18 colors). I've compared the D40X ColorChecker results on two D40X cameras and both give the same result.

Is this difference between the ACR profiles on different camera models expected? The Adobe Standard profile on the D40X gives very washed out colors. Is this because the underlying ACR profile on the D40X undersaturated? I'm using Lightroom 2.2.
        • 1. Re: ACR profiles clarification
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          >Is this because the underlying ACR profile on the D40X undersaturated?

I have observed that the ACR profiles for D40,D50, D70, and D40x lead to severely underexposed and undersaturated images, even if you expose correctly. For those cameras you have to do significant editing to get reasonable results or simply use the camera matching profiles which correct this. No idea why this is the case but you can see in the DNG profile editor that the camera-matching profiles for those cameras have very steep curves that clearly boost exposure by quite a bit.
          • 2. Re: ACR profiles clarification
            Level 1
            true, the tone curve is boosted by about 0.4ev on the camera matching profiles but that seems to be because Nikon in their wisdom apply it to their own picture styles on these cameras. the result is the jpegs from the camera (for which the pictures styles aren't available) appear exposed correctly (as does ACR) but the nikon picture styles are overexposed. From what I can see the camera matching profiles for the D200, D80 and D60 have the same boost, so should have the same under/over exposure behavior.

Not sure that this is connected with the undersaturated images, but it does make the profiles difficult to compare and use.
            • 3. Re: ACR profiles clarification
              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
              Duncan, an easier way to compare profiles (taking exposure/tone curve differences out of the equation) is to use presets. That is, set up a D40X image using Adobe Standard, adjust the tone curve and/or exposure the way you want, then create a preset. Do the same for Camera Standard, or whatever other profile you want. Create another preset. Then if you want to compare, just toggle between the two (or more) presets.