2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2009 3:30 PM by Paul Osgood

inadvertently saving in unwanted color space.

Paul Osgood
      In ACR (5.3) the color space to be used when saving an image in set in Workflow options. Since I change this setting to see how much is clipped in various spaces (aRGB, sRGB), I sometimes forget to re-set it to the space I actually want to use before actually saving the image or opening in PS (as a smart obj). Of course, I can return to ACR, change the workflow setting and re-save. I am concerned that some image information is being lost when this is done. These are drum scanned images originally in Ektaspace. For example, I inadvertently save as sRGB (I assume it convert?). If it does these types of conversions, I would expect that image information would be lost and not recoverable. I'm hoping that someone can confirm my suspicion or educate me. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: inadvertently saving in unwanted color space.
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Paul,

Yes, if you open your raw image into Photoshop in a smaller color space, such as sRGB, you will lose color range in the Photoshop image, but your raw image file remains untouched. You can always discard the file you opened in Photoshop and go back to your raw space and open a new copy.

ACR always opens a copy of the raw file. It treats all raw files as read-only files. Even the adjustments you make in ACR do not affect the raw data, they are all kept in metadata and are not applied to the pixels until you open the copy in Photoshop.

>Of course, I can return to ACR, change the workflow setting and re-save. I am concerned that some image information is being lost when this is done.

Absolutely not, just see above.

>These are drum scanned images originally in Ektaspace.

Ah, so they are not raw images at all. Nevertheless, what I wrote above still applies to your images, presumably saved as TIFFs. Any and all adjustments you make in ACR are still kept in metadata only.

Keep in mind, however, that TIFFs do not give you anywhere near the latitude and flexibility that raw images afford. But you know that, of course.
          • 2. Re: inadvertently saving in unwanted color space.
            Paul Osgood Level 1
            Thanks Ramon - Yes these are TIFFs (200 and 400MB files). While I knew it would not change a RAW file, I could not find any references to TIFFs. I'll just need to be careful when I finally save the image after adding layers in PS that I do not save it using the same name as the original TIFF.

Thanks for the quick reply....Paul