7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2009 1:27 PM by Bob Trent

Gamut warning preview in Camera Raw?

Bob Trent Level 1
      I'm running Photoshop CS4 Extended v. 11.0 on Mac OS X 10.5.6.

Having marvelled at the tools in the new Camera Raw I have found gamut problems for CMYK print files once in Photoshop - is there a gamut preview in Camera Raw so I can save having to post-correct these files?

Many thanks.
        • 1. Re: Gamut warning preview in Camera Raw?
          Level 7
          No, because ACR knows nothing about CMYK.
          • 2. Re: Gamut warning preview in Camera Raw?
            Panoholic Level 2
            Well, such a straightforward answer makes the next question natural:

b why not?

Is CMYK negligable or is there some more sound reason?
            • 3. Re: Gamut warning preview in Camera Raw?
              Ann Shelbourne Level 1
              CMYK is concerned ONLY with converting an image created from Red Green and Blue light-emitting pixels (an Additive process) into four separate printing plates that will transfer INK to a particular paper stock on a particular kind of Press.

ACR is designed to process images captured using an Additive color method and was never intended to be used for the production of Printers' plates.

Also, the trend now is to work entirely in RGB when compositing images or preparing page layouts; and only to Convert from RGB to the appropriate CMYK Profile as a final step when you know the exact Press requirements for that particular job.
              • 4. Re: Gamut warning preview in Camera Raw?
                Panoholic Level 2
                Ann, this is an explanation but not justification. While I would not come to the idea of creating CMYK in ACR (not even later, for my print service works with RGB), there are many photogs, who are using ACR to create the final result.

In fact, many print services which use CMYK do not publish any profile, so I don't see any technical reason not to perform the conversion in ACR.
                • 5. Re: Gamut warning preview in Camera Raw?
                  Bob Trent Level 1
                  I understand that ACR was not intended to produce printer's plates but it is intended to produce images that will end up in InDesign and then on a printing press so I think it would be a useful feature if the gamut preview was an option when adjusting images in ACR.

I always leave the CMYK conversion until the last moment, as adjustments are more easily made in RGB but, having had a photographer sitting beside me, pushing me to get more saturation out of his images it would save the explanations, time and disappointment when I bring them into the document and check the gamut warning preview in Photoshop and find they need de-saturation and/or colour balancing.

In this case I am processing the raw files for the photographer but, if he or another photographer had done the processing themselves in ACR (without looking at the result in Photoshop with gamut preview) I'd have the same problem.

It's a pity because I will be less inclined to trust the effect the great tools in ACR will have on an image destined for print.
                  • 6. Re: Gamut warning preview in Camera Raw?
                    Ann Shelbourne Level 1
                    >Ann, this is an explanation but not justification.

I see it as a solid reason for never allowing a CMYK conversion in ACR.

Doing so would be a perfect recipe for "Mystery Meat" and a Press Operator's nightmare.

Also, if you have some uneducated client looking over your shoulder, you should be working in Soft Proof mode so that they can actually SEE why the saturated colors that they are demanding can never be achieved in 4C Process and why they will need to pay for Touch Plates if they really want that car to print as a saturated red!
                    • 7. Re: Gamut warning preview in Camera Raw?
                      Bob Trent Level 1
                      Thank you, Ann

I only asked if there was gamut preview in ACR, not if there is a CMYK conversion.

It would be very useful to see the gamut preview the adjustments made to an image before saving to Photoshop. This would negate the requirement to undo the ACR changes later in Photoshop or revert to the original raw file and start again. It would enable getting the best out of a raw file for the intended purpose.

Thanks for the tip on working in Soft Proof mode, which I already do but, this rather misses the point because by then the ACR work has been saved out to PS and brought into INDD.

Touch plates - a good idea. Unfortunately, not many clients are willing to pay for those these days!