18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2009 5:11 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?

Hello,

I have been dealing with this issue for a few days and have reached a dead end, I would appreciate any advise, Thank you!

I am using a Mac book Pro running 10.5.6. I am trying to use Adobe CS3 to process out RAW files from the Nikon D700.

I have followed the steps on the Adobe Site about downloading and installing the Camera Raw plug-in version 4.6. The plug-in is in the correct folder and I have purged the folder using the tools drop-down menu.

Nothing is working for me, the files show up in Bridge as little gray squares with the word "exec" in green in the top left corner. When I click on them they open up in the terminal. arg!
      The "open in camera raw" menu in not clickable. So they are not being read in Photoshop or in Bridge.

I am able to see the files in the Nikon software NX 2, but I would like to use Photoshop. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, I do not know what else to try.

Thank you!
        • 1. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
          Ann Shelbourne Level 1
          You need to update ACR to v.4.6 or, better still, upgrade to CS4/ACR 5.3.
          • 2. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
            Level 1
            ACR - is Adobe Capture Raw, right.

I have already updated to 4.6. I also checked the "updates" tab in the help menu, all is up to date.

I understand I could upgrade to CS4, but isn't this supposed to work in CS3?
            • 3. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
              Dennis 1111 Level 2
              v4.6 supports the D700.

Here are some ideas:

Make sure that ACR has been installed correctly. Check the Help>About for both Bridge and Photoshop. You should only see one reference to ACR in each program and it should be v4.6. If you see more than one versión of ACR or you see a version that is not x4.6, that could be part of the problem.

It really sounds to me like there is a file association problem. In other words, Bridge, Photoshop, and possibly the Mac OS itself thinks that the Nikon raw files are related to another program. You can check you file associations in Bridge in the Preferences but if this is the problem, it would probably be better that someone with more Mac experience than myself try to help you through that.
              • 4. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
                Level 1
                Thanks for your help....

I looked at the plug-ins list and I do not see ACR at all.

Could it be that the Additional plug-ins folder is "not set"

I copied this from the help section..

"Primary Plug-ins folder: Hard Drive:Applications:Adobe Photoshop CS3:Plug-Ins:
                Additional Plug-ins folder: not set
                ..."
                • 5. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
                  Level 1
                  Ok, I updated the Additional Plug-ins folder to...

Additional Plug-ins folder: Hard Drive:Library:Application Support:Adobe:Plug-Ins:CS3:File Formats:

This did not work.

Could it be that the ACR should be in the primary plug-ins folder?

I am nervous to put that plug-in there b/c adobe was so specific that the plug-in be placed here

Hard Drive:Library:Application Support:Adobe:Plug-Ins:CS3:File Formats:

but my primary plug-ins folder is here:

Primary Plug-ins folder: Hard Drive:Applications:Adobe Photoshop CS3:Plug-Ins:

Not sure what to do.
                  -
                  I can not figure out how to check the file associations in Bridge.
                  • 6. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
                    Level 1
                    > Hard Drive:Library:Application Support:Adobe:Plug-Ins:CS3:File Formats:
                    >

This looks like the correct path. Just to ask the obvious, did you restart
                    Bridge/PS _after_ copying the plugin there?
                    • 7. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
                      Level 1
                      yes, I also restarted the computer. still no luck.
                      • 8. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
                        dfranzen_adobe Level 3
                        Christina,

Here is a list of troubleshooting steps and questions. I know you have already tried to verify the plugin install location (the first step), but please try again and also try to answer all the questions at the end of the instructions.

Thank You,
                        David Franzen

Troubleshooting Instructions for Camera Raw in Bridge CS4 and CS3

First verify that the Camera Raw plugin is installed correctly. To verify this please follow these steps.

On Macintosh Systems
                        1. Open the Finder.
                        2. Navigate to the root of the local disk (not the users home folder).
                        4. Navigate to /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS4/File Formats
                        or
                        /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS3/File Formats

Verify Camera Raw.plugin exists in this location.

On 32-bit Windows Systems.
                        1. Open My Computer.
                        2. Double-click Local Disk (C:).
                        3. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats
                        or
                        Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

Verify the file Camera Raw.8bi exists in this location.

On 64-Bit Windows Systems
                        1. Open My Computer.

Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats
                        or
                        Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

4. CS4 Only: Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

After verifying the plugin installation, try the following in Bridge to troubleshoot the thumbnailing problem.

1. Quit and Relaunch Bridge.
                        2. Browse the folder where the thumbnails fail to appear.
                        3. Hit the F5 key on your keyboard or select "Refresh" from the Bridge View menu.

If thumbnails do not regenerate after a view refresh, try the following...

4. From the Bridge Tools Menu select Cache > Purge Cache for Folder

If thumbnails start to regenerate after purging the cache, you can then do the following to purge the cache for other folders.

5. Bridge CS4 ONLY: From the Bridge Edit menu select Preferences (or the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+K).

6. Bridge CS4 ONLY: In the Bridge Preferences dialog click "Cache" to move to the Cache preferences pane.

7. Bridge CS4 ONLY: Click the "Purge Cache" button.

8. Bridge CS4 ONLY: Click "OK" to continue purging the cache.

9. Bridge CS3 or CS4: To purge the cache quit, Bridge, then hold down Control+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after you re-launch Bridge. Select "Purge Entire Thumbnails Cache" from the Reset Settings dialog.

If thumbnails still do not appear after a refresh, folder or central cache purging. Please provide the following information to help troubleshoot further.

1. If in the Bridge Edit menu does "Camera Raw Preferences" appear -- Yes or No?

2. If Camera Raw Preferences does appear in the Bridge Edit menu, does it appear enabled or disabled (gray) -- Enabled or Disabled?

3. If Camera Raw Preferences is enabled in the Bridge Edit menu, does selecting it open the Camera Raw dialog in Bridge -- Yes or No?

4. If the Camera Raw Preferences dialog appears in Bridge, what Camera Raw version number is shown in the dialog's title bar?

5. Can you also open the Camera Raw Preferences dialog in Photoshop (if applicable try both 32-bit and 64-bit Photoshop on 64-bit Windows)?

6. Does the Camera Raw Preferences dialog in Photoshop display the same version number as in Bridge -- Yes or No?

7. If you right-click on a supported RAW file in Bridge does "Open in Camera Raw..." appear in the contextual menu -- Yes or No?

8. If "Open in Camera Raw" does appear, does selecting it successfully open the file in Camera Raw -- Yes or No.

9. Are you also having problems opening any of the Raw files with Camera Raw in Photoshop -- Yes or No?

Before sending the answers, please do the following.

1. Navigate again to the plugin install folder again

Windows 32-bit and 64-bit systems:
                        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats
                        or
                        C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

..and on 64-bit systems also:
                        C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats
                        or
                        C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

Macintosh Systems:
                        /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS4/File Formats
                        or

2. Select the plugin file, CameraRaw.8bi, or Camera Raw.plugin right click on select "Properties" (Windows) or "Get Info" (Mac).

3. Take a screenshot of the Properties sheet that appears.

To take and save screenshot you can do the following...

Windows:
                        1. Hit the Print Screen key (often labeled "PrtScn") on your keyboard.

2. Open Photoshop

3. Create a new document.

4. Click Ctrl+V to past the screenshot into the document.

5. Save the document.

Macintosh:
                        Hold down the command and shift keys, then click the 3 key. A screenshot file is created on your desktop.

Please post the screenshot file(s) with your answers to the troubleshooting questions.
                        • 9. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
                          Level 1
                          Adobe Camera Raw --
                            D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?

Thank you David here are my answers....

Troubleshooting Instructions for Camera Raw in Bridge CS4 and CS3

First verify that the Camera Raw plugin is installed correctly. To verify this please follow these steps.

On Macintosh Systems
                          1. Open the Finder.
                          2. Navigate to the root of the local disk (not the users home folder).
                          4. Navigate to /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS4/File Formats
                          or

Verify Camera Raw.plugin exists in this location.

On 32-bit Windows Systems.
                          1. Open My Computer.

or
                          Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

Verify the file Camera Raw.8bi exists in this location. {It is there.}

On 64-Bit Windows Systems
                          1. Open My Computer.

Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats
                          or
                          Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

4. CS4 Only: Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

After verifying the plugin installation, try the following in Bridge to troubleshoot the thumbnailing problem.

1. Quit and Relaunch Bridge.
                          2. Browse the folder where the thumbnails fail to appear.
                          3. Hit the F5 key on your keyboard or select "Refresh" from the Bridge View menu.

{thumbnails do not appear}

If thumbnails do not regenerate after a view refresh, try the following...

4. From the Bridge Tools Menu select Cache > Purge Cache for Folder

If thumbnails start to regenerate after purging the cache, you can then do the following to purge the cache for other folders.

5. Bridge CS4 ONLY: From the Bridge Edit menu select Preferences (or the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+K).

6. Bridge CS4 ONLY: In the Bridge Preferences dialog click "Cache" to move to the Cache preferences pane.

7. Bridge CS4 ONLY: Click the "Purge Cache" button.

8. Bridge CS4 ONLY: Click "OK" to continue purging the cache.

9. Bridge CS3 or CS4: To purge the cache quit, Bridge, then hold down Control+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after you re-launch Bridge. Select "Purge Entire Thumbnails Cache" from the Reset Settings dialog.

{thumbnails do not appear)}

I f thumbnails still do not appear after a refresh, folder or central cache purging. Please provide the following information to help troubleshoot further.

1. If in the Bridge Edit menu does "Camera Raw Preferences" appear -- No

2. If Camera Raw Preferences does appear in the Bridge Edit menu, does it appear enabled or disabled (gray) -- N/A

3. If Camera Raw Preferences is enabled in the Bridge Edit menu, does selecting it open the Camera Raw dialog in Bridge -- N/A

4. If the Camera Raw Preferences dialog appears in Bridge, what Camera Raw version number is shown in the dialog's title bar? --N/A

5. Can you also open the Camera Raw Preferences dialog in Photoshop (if applicable try both 32-bit and 64-bit Photoshop on 64-bit Windows)? -- No

6. Does the Camera Raw Preferences dialog in Photoshop display the same version number as in Bridge -- N/A

7. If you right-click on a supported RAW file in Br idge does "Open in Camera Raw..." appear in the contextual menu -- It appears grayed out

8. If "Open in Camera Raw" does appear, does selecting it successfully open the file in Camera Raw -- No.

9. Are you also having problems opening any of the Raw files with Camera Raw in Photoshop -- Yes

Before sending the answers, please do the following.

1. Navigate again to the plugin install folder again

Windows 32-bit and 64-bit systems:
                          C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats
                          or
                          C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

..and on 64-bit systems also:
                          C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats
                          or
                          C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats

Macintosh Systems:
                          /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS4/File Formats
                          or

2. Select the plugin file, CameraRaw.8bi, or Camera Raw.plugin right click on select "Properties" (Windows) or "Get Info" (Mac).

3. Take a screenshot of the Properties sheet that appears.

http://christinarichards.com/screenshot.png
                          • 10. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
                            PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
                            Is it the only version of the plug-in installed on your Computer? you did not move the old version to another folder in the same directory tree?
                            • 11. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
                              dfranzen_adobe Level 3
                              Hi Christina,

Thanks for the extra info and screenshot. Unfortunately it's still not clear to me what is causing the problem. Unless I'm missing something obvious, it does appear that the plugin is installed in the correct location for Photoshop and Bridge CS3. I'm also not seeing anything obviously wrong with the plugin file's size or modification dates.

Did this problem only start after you installed 4.6? Basically, was everything working OK for older NEF files (cameras older than the D700, etc.) with the 4.5 plugin?

Prior to seeing the problem, had you transferred settings from an older computer to this one using the Apple Migration Assistant, or any other process?

Did you install the Photoshop CS3 public beta on this computer, or on a computer from which you migrated settings to this one?

I can think of two things you might try to get things working. First, try moving the plugin to your desktop, launch and quit Photoshop and Bridge, then replace the plugin and launch them again. If that does not work, I recommend, deactivating and uninstalling Photoshop CS3 (or the Creative Suite CS3 if that is what you have) and then reinstalling.

If you had the Photoshop CS3 public beta installed, follow these instructions for removing and before reinstalling:
                              http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb401056&sliceId=2

-David
                              • 12. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
                                Level 1
                                Thank you for all your help. I uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop CS3. The plug is is working when I import new files from my camera into Bridge. The old files that I shot before I downloaded the plug-in still do not work. But all in all it is a success.

Thank you.
                                • 13. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
                                  dfranzen_adobe Level 3
                                  Christina,

Can you send me one of the old files that still does not work after your re-install? If so, please send URL to download an example, to dfranzen@adobe.com (I may not be able to get it via an attachment).

Thanks,
                                  David
                                  • 14. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
                                    Ann Shelbourne Level 1
                                    Were the files that don't work subjected to any sort of compression?
                                    • 15. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
                                      Level 1
                                      Hi there,

http://www.christinarichards.com/d700

I put one of the files that I can't get to work on my server for you to take a look at.
                                      I rented the D700 a few months back, just to test it out before I made my purchase and the files were from when I rented to camera. It was first time I used it, I thought I shot them in uncompressed RAW.

Thanks for all your help!
                                      • 16. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
                                        Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                                        Christina,

I was able to open the file you uploaded by adding the ".nef" extension to it, then control-clicking on it and selecting Open with Photoshop CS4.

Never, ever delete or discard the extension of any file in OS X.
                                        • 17. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
                                          Level 1
                                          Thanks, maybe the files were renamed when I imported them. It was a while ago. I certainly didn't think I was deleting the extension. I will pay close attention to that in the future.
                                          • 18. Re: D700 not being read by CS3 or Bridge - any suggestions?
                                            Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                                            ;) You're welcome.

> maybe the files were renamed when I imported them

Quite possibly.