33 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 4:53 PM by Missinova

CS4 not allowing CSR RAW

I have CS4 on Mac.

I have All updated plug ins and DNG.

CS4 still will not allow me to view my RAW pics.

Canon EOS Rebel XS

HELP!!!!
        • 1. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
          PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
          Which Apple computer? what version of Mac OS?
          If you go in About>plug-ins, what version of Camera Raw do you see?
          How did you update Camera Raw? if you did update manually, in what folder did you place it?
          • 2. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
            Level 1
            OSX

Camera Raw 5.3

Updated it via adobe...just followed the steps.

I have PS CS4 Extended.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
              adriana ohlmeyer Adobe Employee
              When you say you updated via Adobe, do you mean Adobe.com or the automatic update? If you navigate to Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS4/File Formats
              1. Is there a Camera Raw.plugin installed?
              2. Can you please get info on this plug-in and check the version?

Thanks!
              • 4. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                Level 1
                I installed all updates for my CS4 applications via Help/Updates through Photoshop.

ACR plugin 5.3 is installed

Thanks
                • 5. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                  Level 1
                  My previous post makes it seem like i can view my RAW images now. I still can't.

Mac OSX
                  PS CS4 Extended (From Master Collection)
                  Plug In 5.3 installed
                  Canon Rebel XS (CSR RAW images)

Thanks
                  • 6. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                    Try Purging the Cache through the Tools menu in Bridge.
                    • 7. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                      Level 1
                      I tried that too. Maybe i should delete them and upload them again.
                      • 8. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                        What message do you get when attempting to open the Raw file? When opening via Photoshop, can you make sure when selecting the file, format is set to Camera Raw. please?
                        • 9. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                          Level 1
                          PS does not recognize.

I can see the RAW thumbnails in Bridge but when i try to open one it tells me PS does not recognize it.

If I try to open the images thru PS directly i can see them in the drop down image list but the RAW ones are greyed out....i'm not able to select them.

Thanks for the help
                          • 10. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                            It would help if you answered Adriana's very specific questions.
                            • 11. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                              Level 1
                              It says PS does does recognize.

The format is set to Camera Raw.

The images in the drop down are grayed out.
                              • 12. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                Can you please try to install the plug-in again, this time manually.
                                1. go to http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4364
                                2. Follow exactly the install instructions
                                Let us know if it works this time.
                                • 13. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                  Level 1
                                  Ok I have the plug in and camera profiles saved on my desktop but these directions just don't make sense to me.

"7. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw, from the download into the same folder as in Step 5."

What???

Can someone smarter than me just give me a step by step in english.

Thanks
                                  • 14. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                    After downloading Camera Raw 5.3.dmg, double click to open. You will see the "Camera Raw" plug-in in the folder. Navigate to:
                                    Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS4/File Formats
                                    and replace the existing plug-in with the one you just downloaded

Hope this helps!
                                    • 15. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                      I have a similar problem. I've done all the steps listed in this post and still cannot open raw files is cs4. Only difference is that I have an Rebel xsi and its a cr2 file.
                                      • 16. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                        CS4 (and CS3 with recent ACR 4.x) opens XSi RAW files for me.

What version is indicated if you do Help / About Plugins... / Camera RAW and do you see more than one Camera RAW listed?

What are you doing to "open" a CR2 file?

What does Bridge do if you navigate to a directory of CR2 files from an XS or XSi respectively. Do you have a Open in Camera RAW option available in Bridge if you do the Mac version of right-click on a thumbnail of a CR2 file?
                                        • 17. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                          I have not heard back from Clanton if installing ACR 5.3 manually had solved the issue he was having. I assume no news is good news..
                                          Did you try installing the plug-in manually?
                                          • 18. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                            Level 1
                                            No I was not able to get it to work. The manual instructions just didn't make sense. See my last post.

I just gave up until i saw the thread started up again.
                                            • 19. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee
                                              Clanton, did you see Adriana's post #14, above? There is a specific folder on your Mac that she listed. Go to that folder. Toss everything that may be in that folder into the trash. Then drag the plug-in that you downloaded into that folder. Then restart Photoshop.
                                              • 20. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                                Level 1
                                                Steve, I have Camera version 5.3.0.21 and its listed only once. I'm trying to open the cr2 file browsed in Bridge - it launches photoshop but errors with the file type not being recognized.

Bridge displays the thumbnail fine but there is no Open in Camera Raw option available when "right clicking" just opening with the Photoshop (default)
                                                • 21. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                                  Pete,

Your ACR seems up-to-date. I assume Photoshop, itself, is 11.0.1?

On my Bridge right-click menu for a IMG_xxxx.CR2 file from my XSi, I see an Open With... that lists three programs with Photoshop (default) as the top one, plus a couple others which are Bridge (an association that I created, myself) and Windows Live Mail (that I'm not sure about), but then a couple menu items below the Open With... item is another right-click menu item that says Open in Camera RAW....

It also has Open in Camera RAW... when I right-click on a .JPG file and I think that is because I have the setting for Photoshop to use Camera RAW on JPGs and TIFs also set or maybe it is always there for those filetypes.

I wonder if your .CR2 file is corrupted or not really a CR2 but something renamed as such, or has been modified by another program, or if you somehow have a .lnk to a .CR2 and not the .CR2, itself, that you're seeing in Bridge. What happens to these CR2 files between youe taking the picture and your seeing them in Bridge? What process do you use to offload them from the camera and do you use any other program to view or manipulate them before trying to open them in Photoshop? What virus scanner software do you use, and have you tried disabling it for the few minutes between when you download from your camera and try to open things in Photoshop? I always use a card-reader and sometimes view thumbnails in Vista's Explorer that can thumbnail CR2 files if Canon's RAW Codec is installed (available from Canon).

If you can't figure it out, it might not hurt to post of one these .CR2 files to rapidshare.com and let the first 10 people who see the link try it, themselves, to confirm whether their Photoshop is acting the same with your XSi files or not. This would help confirm if something is happening to the files or if something is wrong with your Photoshop install.
                                                  • 22. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                                    Level 1
                                                    I believe I have it working now (at least a workable solution that I can live with. I still don't know exactly what is broken but don't care to delve deeper at the moment). Thanks for your suggestion on looking closer as to how photo's were being downloaded.

I was using the feature from Bridge to download images directly from my camera. What works for me now is downloading the images using Canon's EOS utility. The raw thumbnails are now the same size and the jpegs and are now able to open in cs4. This is after hours of reading threads from various forums and downloading and reloading the latest updates for my Mac and Camera Raw (this by itself didn't help). Loading Canon's latest update for DPP only introduced a new problem with no thumbnails not being displayed but re-calibrating my monitor fixed that problem. Its been a long and frustrating journey to get this all work, maybe someone will post the correct or better fix.

Thanks again for your suggestions and help.
                                                    • 23. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                                      Sounds like something iffy with your hardware/drivers. I'd use a card-reader instead of hooking a cable to my camera's USB port on a routine basis which will just wear it out and risk damaging an expensive camera instead of a cheap reader. A reader should be faster than a cable on the camera, anyway.
                                                      • 24. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                                        PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Clanton, the folder path that Adriana pointed out starts at the root level of your hard drive, not the one in your user folder.

• 25. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                                          tidaldesigns Level 1

I am having the same problem, is anyone willing to help me thru this? The instructions I hve been given it did  not work. 

I have a PC not a MAC - just so that I don't get yelled at for posting in the wrong forum again.

Yes, i have CS4

Yes, 64 bit works fine

I simply can not open CR2 files in 32 bit CS4

Running VISTA

Can someone with some patience assist me with complete directions?????  Ctrl 'O' doesnt work.  I don't understand the whole ' have camera raw running', how do you have camera raw running?

Anyways, I would be very appreciative STILL - if someone can help.

thanks

• 26. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW

tidaldesigns wrote:

I have a PC…

Yes, i have CS4

Yes, 64 bit works fine

I simply can not open CR2 files in 32 bit CS4

Running VISTA

No one can, if they have the 64-bit version of Photoshop installed.

So,  I found an authoritative reference for you.  The answer is:  you can't do it.

See  http://forums.adobe.com/message/1210698#1210698

• 27. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                                              Missinova

I was having the same issues with My EOS Rebel XS... and tried everything stated here as well to no avail...

When I download my pictures through Bridge or iphoto, the CR2 files are not recognized by Photoshop CS4, Bridge or the DNG Converter.  However, when I download the photos through EOS Utility... They are recognized fine.   I am thoroughly miffed by this...   But at least there is a way you can use the CR2 files with photoshop and Bridge this way...

If anyone finds a fix for this issue, please update this thread.  Many with this issue find this thread with the search feature.

• 28. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW

You need to update your Camera RAW to the latest version, which is ACR 5.5.  It may be available via Help / Updates... or if that doesn't work, then get it directly from Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

• 29. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                                                  Missinova Level 1

I did update to the latest version of CameraRaw 5.5, but still can't view the files in Bridge and it won't even give the option to open in Camera Raw for those files.   I even manually installed through the root and re-copied the plug in file through the library/application support/adobe/plugins/cs4/file formats....   and deleted the cache in Bridge, but still nothing...  It won't even let me convert them to DNG files with the convertor - not recognized file format...

The only thing that works is if I don't download my pictures through Bridge and only do it through the EOS Utility - they show up and work fine and can be converted etc...

I'm at a loss.

• 30. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW

Go into Photoshop and do Help / About Plugin... / Camera RAW and see what version it says, and also is more than one Camera RAW listed in Help / About Plugin?

Another question, are you on a 64-bit OS?

• 31. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                                                      Missinova Level 1

When I do help / get info / it says this about camera raw... Camera Raw 5.5 (97), Copyright © 2009 Adobe Systems Incorporated - from the file “Camera Raw.plugin”

It only has Camera Raw listed once.

I am using Snow Leopard... and I just double checked and its not booting in 64... I'm running 32.

• 32. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW

The Canon XS/1000D was been supported by the first Camera RAW update after CS4 came out, ACR 5.1, back about a year ago.

I'm a PC user, so am not sure if you have both the 32-bit and 64-bit Photoshop and Camera RAW available or just the 64-bit one.  If both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Photoshop are installed, has the Camera RAW been updated for both or just one?

If you use the Photoshop where you see the version of Camera RAW is 5.5, what happens if you do (whatever the Mac version of) File / Open As... / choose Camera RAW as the type, and then open one of your XS RAW files.  Does it say the format is unrecognized or does it work?

You might try posting one of your RAW files that doesn't seem to work in ACR 5.5 using www.yousendit.com or www.rapidshare.com so others can verify the file does or doesn't work in their CS4.

• 33. Re: CS4 not allowing CSR RAW
                                                                          Missinova Level 1

For those particular CR2 files that I downloaded through Bridge from my camera... It will only give me a couple of choices for programs.  If I select Photoshop, PS will start to open and then I get an error message saying the file is not recognized.

However, if I save the files not through Bridge, either with the EOS Utility or just saving them from a card reader, everything works as it should.

Something happens to the files when they are downloaded through Bridge somehow.  Although I can still open these particular files with the Canon Raw Software program... but nothing else.

It very well could be some sort of compatibility issue with Snow Leopard and Adobe Bridge.   I'm not sure what happens, but I'll just avoid downloading my pictures within Bridge... and just access them in Bridge afterwards...

Thanks for your help.