2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2009 1:20 PM by (Jeff_Schewe)

ACR 4.6 Nikon D90 vs Nikon  VIEW NX colors/exposure/brightness

Doris_Rogers
      Went from a D80 to a D90. Downloaded ACR 4.6 and all of the beta camera profiles for the D90 a month ago or so. When I view my NEF's in Nikon View NX the colors/exposure is fine. When I view them for the D90 in ACR, they are a little washed out. When I converted a couple of NEF's to DNG it appears the results are better,but I don't know if that would hold true for all. I do not want to convert everything to DNG though, plus it does not appear that DNG files can be viewed in View NX.

Haven't put enough hours into researching this yet to figure out if I'm just going to have to convert every NEF file in ACR 4.6 or spring for NX2 and start using that as a supplement-which I really, really do not want to do-but the NEF's look fine there.

I'm holding off buying a new computer until the new PC OS systems come out and at that time assume CS5 will be out by then and will upgrade that also.

Was anyone built a camera preset for the D90 to combat this problem with CS3 ACR 4.6 or encountered the same? Just looking for any input. I've only had the camera a little over a month. (Using XP) Thank you.
        • 1. Re: ACR 4.6 Nikon D90 vs Nikon  VIEW NX colors/exposure/brightness
          Panoholic Level 2
          ACR cuts off the top of the red and blue pixel range, but that is cause to complain only in a few cases. Please upload a DNG file (use yousendit.com) demonstrating the "washed out" effect (if the settings are in XMP, then upload that as well).
          • 2. Re: ACR 4.6 Nikon D90 vs Nikon  VIEW NX colors/exposure/brightness
            Level 1
            > When I view them for the D90 in ACR, they are a little washed out. When I converted a couple of NEF's to DNG it appears the results are better,but I don't know if that would hold true for all.

Both original NEF raws and DNG from those same raws really should appear the same in Camera Raw 4.6. The only potential difference is whether or not you've actually selected one of the other DNG Profiles in a D90 raw and made that the ACR "default". ACR and DNG Converter share the same "defaults". So, what profile is selected in the Calibration panel with a D90 raw? Which one looks better (from the drop down list)? If you like one of the others you can change the ACR default to be that newly selected profile...