5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2009 5:30 PM by MyLastPictureShow

CS3 - different versions of an image

Hi!

I often like to develop different versions of one RAW image, like a b/w version and a color version. Isn't it possible to save several versions directly from ACR, so that there are a number of XMPs I can choose of? I know I can save the XMPs by hand, but then I see all XMPs ever made. I'd find it fine, if I could open one RAW file, and then can choose the related versions I have made. Possible in CS3? CS4? LR?

Dennis.
        • 1. Re: CS3 - different versions of an image
          Dennis 1111 Level 2
          Both CS4 and LR 2 have "snapshots", which allow you to save different settings for a particular image.

LR2 has an additional feature called virtual copy. The difference with virtual copy is it will show up as a separate object in the Library. Snapshots will not.

Since you have CS3, your alternatives are more limited. You could save off XMPs manually as you stated. Also, if you always do your B&W conversions the same way (or maybe a reasonable number of ways), you could create a B&W preset or presets along with a "no B&W" preset and use those. Not very elegant but it might work for you to some extent until you decide to upgrade.
          • 2. Re: CS3 - different versions of an image
            JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
            There can only be one XMP file associated with a raw image, unless you want to copy the raw file to different folders. Probably the best thing to do in your situation would be to save a DNG file of each different rendering. That would retain all of your raw image data, and give you the different images that you want. As far as Lightroom is concerned, you could create virtual copies and do whatever you wanted to with each one of those.
            • 3. Re: CS3 - different versions of an image
              JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
              There can only be one XMP file associated with a raw image, unless you want to copy the raw file to different folders. Probably the best thing to do in your situation would be to save a DNG file of each different rendering. That would retain all of your raw image data, and give you the different images that you want. As far as Lightroom is concerned, you could create virtual copies and do whatever you wanted to with each one of those.
              • 4. Re: CS3 - different versions of an image
                Level 1
                Jim and Dennis,
                thanks for your replies! I'll try the DNG method.
                Dennis.
                • 5. Re: CS3 - different versions of an image

If you open your image into PS as a smart object, you can layer several references to the same raw file, each with different settings. Choose Layer > Smart Objects > New Smart Object via Copy. Then double-click on each image icon to specify independent parameters in ACR. Simply duplicating the layer will not work as both layers will link to the same Smart Object.

Would this give you what you want?

Roger.