12 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2007 9:22 AM by Ramón G Castañeda

Camera Raw 3.7 no longer supports per slider auto adjustments

Nobody else resent this "improvement"?

Now the only way to have the image properly scaled (while not affecting everyting else by the automatic guesswork) is to have the settings in custom non-automatic default and then one has to use the Exposure slider manually with the aid of the Highlights Clipping Warning, for each and every image.

Compared to the 3.6 where this is fully automatic and works very very well.
        • 1. Re: Camera Raw 3.7 no longer supports per slider auto adjustments
          Omke Oudeman Level 5
          Hallo Matti

It is just an other look, that's all. For your own settings hit auto, double click on the slider you don't want to be auto (shift click if you want to go back to auto and save as a setting under the name you want.

That's all there is actually :-)
          • 2. Re: Camera Raw 3.7 no longer supports per slider auto adjustments
            Level 1
            Omke, on my PC computers shift-click does nothing more than a click alone. Shift-double-click on a slider-knob indeed does toggle the mode of that slider _for_ that picture.

So, I put the Exposure slider into automatic and the rest of the sliders into manual (there is _nothing_ in v3.7 that tells me in what mode a slider happens to be, a major problem) and then I save this as the New Camera Raw Default setting. Then, for the next picture, the Exposure slider is also in manual having the value from the previous picture as the default.
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw 3.7 no longer supports per slider auto adjustments
              Omke Oudeman Level 5
              sorry for the confusion, it is indeed shift double click and double click to change from auto to standard.
              If you use your own created standard setting both automatic and standard on top of the sliders are blue colored and visible. Using auto does gray out the auto setting and using standard does gray out this option which is logical because you have to click on the highlighted option to change.

So this is the way to see in what mode you are.

underneath a copy from the original post that came with the release,

regards
              Omke

Topic
              Camera Raw 3.7 Now Available

Tom Hogarty - 09:36pm Feb 18, 2007 Pacific

The Photoshop Camera Raw 3.7 plug-in is now available on adobe.com.
              http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

Important Notes Regarding Camera Raw 3.7
              There are several significant changes to Camera Raw 3.7 in how it handles auto and default settings:
              Applying auto settings by default is no longer controlled on a model by model basis, but instead there is a single global preference checkbox Apply auto tone adjustments that controls this adjustment for all camera models at once.

Camera Raw 3.7 no longer supports per slider auto adjustments. One Auto control at the top of the panel now sets the Exposure, Shadows, Brightness, and Contrast sliders to their auto values. The Default control at the top of the panel sets these same four sliders to their default values. The keyboard shortcut for the Auto control is CMD/CTRL-U.
              The keyboard shortcut for the Default control is CMD/CTRL-R.

Double clicking on a slider to set that single slider to its default value.

Shift double clicking on a slider to set that single slider to its auto value.

Previously, default image settings could only be applied per camera model. Camera Raw 3.7 can now:
              -Apply default image settings specific to a camera serial number
              -Apply default image settings specific to a camera ISO setting
              The additional criteria are located in the Camera Raw preferences.

The default settings (including the global auto preference) are now shared with the DNG Converter.

The DNG Converter requires OS X 10.3.9 as a minimum operating system.
              • 4. Re: Camera Raw 3.7 no longer supports per slider auto adjustments
                Hi Guys,

I am just a beginner with this and the 3.7 upgrade caught me completely unawares. Is it possible to revert back to version 3.6, or is that a retrograde step? Certainly Matti didn't sound too keen a fortnight ago.

Regards,
                Christine
                • 5. Re: Camera Raw 3.7 no longer supports per slider auto adjustments
                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                  Yes, all you have to do is go to the website (link provided) and download whatever version of Camera Raw you want, and replace the version you are using. You will not be able to use the Update feature to do this; you will have to follow the instructions and do it manually. But remember that additional camera support is provided in each update. Also, take note that if you have raw images that have been edited in camera raw 4.0, 3.7 will read the adjustments from all the new controls in version 4 even though you will not be able to change them.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows
                  • 6. Re: Camera Raw 3.7 no longer supports per slider auto adjustments
                    Ian Burden
                    Yes, I resent it too. It's giving me much more trouble to edit images than the old system. With this method it's too easy to get confused. Before it was simple to toggle back and forth between auto and custom for each slider, and actually KNOW where you were.
                    • 7. Re: Camera Raw 3.7 no longer supports per slider auto adjustments
                      Yes I resent this change. In the old camera raw I could set exposure and brightness to auto- then set my shadows and contrast manually according to the "overall look" of the photos I was converting. (auto shadows and auto contrast tends to give me images that are way too dark or contrasty) I could then start a batch action converting them to jpegs on the whole group of photos- walk away from the computer- then come back when they were finished and fine tune the images that needed it. Now I have to sit and open every image-and make corrections on every one- greatly increasing my time behind the computer... because I am now shooting with a fuji s5- I cant go back to the old camera raw plug in. So i have the new camera raw on my PC's and the old camera raw on my Macs...
                      I've tried a few different presets but cant find a way to make it as easy as it was... anyone have any ideas?
                      • 8. Re: Camera Raw 3.7 no longer supports per slider auto adjustments
                        I too dislike this change. I find the auto Exposure/Brightness to almost never be what I want, but the auto setting for Shadows often works pretty well. So in past versions of Camera Raw it was a simple matter of checking the auto-shadows box for me. Now I have to shift-double-click the slider, which on a high-resolution screen is a PITA and often takes more than one attempt. The global Auto/Default commands are fine, but I don't see why they had to take away the per-adjustment checkboxes.
                        • 9. Re: Camera Raw 3.7 no longer supports per slider auto adjustments
                          Level 1
                          ok- cant live without my per slider adjusters and so i'm back to 3.5.
                          the fuji s5 isnt supported in 3.5 so i'm now using the adobe dng converter for these files- then opening the dng's with camera raw 3.5. seems to be working fine.
                          • 10. Re: Camera Raw 3.7 no longer supports per slider auto adjustments
                            So let me get this straight, I used to see the auto boxes below each slider. Now I only see at the top of the sliders (AUTO) and (DEFAULT)Has this change occurred because I updated my Photoshop CS2 files? I am starting to shoot more and more in RAW but I am having difficulties with the learning curve of understanding why things happen in this new format. If any one has any tips on how to make this a more pleasurable transisition.
                            Glen
                            • 11. Re: Camera Raw 3.7 no longer supports per slider auto adjustments
                              PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional
                              Glen, see post 3 of this discussion to learn about the new behaviour.

I have added it in the FAQ.
                              • 12. Re: Camera Raw 3.7 no longer supports per slider auto adjustments
                                Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                                >I have added it in the FAQ.

Thank you, Pierre.