10 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2007 5:12 AM by don solomon

D200 Color Problem in CS2: NEFs don't display properly

Hello,

I have a very frustrating problem that I cannot seem to figure out.

When I preview an NEF file in NIKON's software, Picture Project, the NEF displays with proper color. But when I open the same file in CS2 the colors are all washed out, pale and look simply wrong.

To save you the hassle of suggesting updates and plug-ins, I should tell you that I have done all of these things! I have updated to the very latest camera raw plugin and updated to the latest "patch" for CS2. I don't want to keep using Nikons software. Please help me to achieve an appropriate color setting that is not washed out in CS2.

Thank you kindly,
      Mike
        • 1. Re: D200 Color Problem in CS2: NEFs don't display properly
          Art Campbell Level 3
          The Nikon software is applying automatic adjustments for you; Photoshop is not...

However, you don't mention that you've calibrated your camera and are using those settings as your Camera Raw defaults...

Look in the forum for Fors scripts and calibration topics, or just go over to http://fors.net/chromoholics/ and start reading & downloading -- things will get better, I think. If you want to explore this in depth, Bruce Foster wrote The Book... Some of his stuff is available here and the book is available from Amazon & other sellers.

Cheers,
          Art
          • 2. Re: D200 Color Problem in CS2: NEFs don't display properly
            Level 1
            Hello Art,

Thank you kindly for responding. I really appreciate it!

I'm still a bit stuck... I have looked up the ACR calibrator script and have run it. But it says that it's incompatible with the version of CS2 I have.

As far as calibrating the camera, I'm not really sure what you mean. There isn't an option within the D200 file, shooting or function menus for calibration.

I'm an experienced photographer but still quite new to CS2 and other editing programs. I appreciate your patience with me! I just want a quick solution to see my pictures look the same way they do in Picture Project as they do in CS2.

How can I apply the automatic adjustments identical to the Nikon software within CS2?

Thanks again for your help.

Mike
            • 3. Re: D200 Color Problem in CS2: NEFs don't display properly
              tunney moriarty Level 1
              That's because the Nikon software has put two of their files into CS2 and there is a conflict between the two programs. This has been brought up many many times before. I don't have the time at this second to tell you where to go to find them but I am sure someone else will. Once you remove them, you won't have any further problems. I also have a D200 and had to remove them when I got my camera.

Regards..

Tunney
              • 4. Re: D200 Color Problem in CS2: NEFs don't display properly
                Level 1
                Thank you for the information, Tunney!

If you have a second to help me out by letting me know which files can be removed, I would be so appreciative!

Thanks again!
                Mike
                • 5. Re: D200 Color Problem in CS2: NEFs don't display properly
                  tunney moriarty Level 1
                  Hi Mike:

Here is the location of the offending files: (Windows XP) Program Files> Adobe> Adobe PhotoshopCS2> Plugins> AdobePhotoshop Only> File Formats. You should see (1) Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi (2) Nikon YCC TIFF.8bi. I guess it depends which Nikon program you installed but any Nikon software should be disabled..as they cause problems and conflicts with Photoshop.

The 2 offending files are still on my system as I put a "tilde" infront of the file to disable the file. This file was put there by Nikon when I installed the Nikon software when I got my D200 before Christmas. They cause nothing but problems. You can also delete the two files as well and nothing will happen.

Remove or disable these 2 files and you will be on your way. Make sure that you have the latest ACR 3.7 from Adobe. Suggest that you also get the latest DNG converter.

Good Luck..

Tunney
                  • 6. Re: D200 Color Problem in CS2: NEFs don't display properly
                    Level 1
                    Hi Tunney,

Thanks very much for your direct advice. Unfortunately, neither of those two files are in that folder (or maybe thats a good thing as you say I should disable them anyway) However, because I upgraded from Photoshop 7.0, both of those files are still in that folder. When I tried to uninstall 7.0 it told me there were shared files I needed to keep.

Maybe I should uninstall NIKON PP altogether? I did find the YCC file in the following folder:

c:\Program Files\Nikon\PictureProject

and the two specified files above in the PS 7.0 folder.

Anyway, I deleted those two files and I still have the same problem. I open NEFs and the color is still washed out. When I view them in Nikon PP the color (particularly the reds) seems more vibrant.

I'm still stuck!

Thanks again for your help (and patience)
                    Mike
                    • 7. Re: D200 Color Problem in CS2: NEFs don't display properly
                      Level 1
                      One more strange thing...

When I copied the OLD plugin (the one you said should be deleted) into CS2, this old plugin overrides the new Camera Raw plugin.

But!

The color displays the exact same way it did in Nikon PP! The automatic adjustments photoshop is making seems to be correct when using the old NEF plugin.

I'm not sure this is a good solution but the color has been fixed. THe only drag is that I can't use the new Camera Raw features.

I'm closer!

Thanks very much again,
                      Mike
                      • 8. Re: D200 Color Problem in CS2: NEFs don't display properly
                        Hi Mike,

I'm having the exact same problem as you. However, I have realized that if I shoot my NEF's in color mode III, they look great in CS 2. When I convert one of these NEF's from color mode III to II in Nikon Capture, it looks the same as the original NEF (in color mode III) in CS 2 (I hope I haven't confused you with all the III's and II's). Anyway, the problem is D200 jpegs in color mode II look good in any program, but D200 NEF's in color mode II suck in CS 2. There has GOT to be a way to make D200 NEF's to look just like their jpegs in CS 2. Have you had any luck recently?

- Josh Gerritsen
                        • 9. Re: D200 Color Problem in CS2: NEFs don't display properly
                          Bill_Janes Level 2
                          Josh Gerritsen wrote:
                          >I'm having the exact same problem as you. However, I have realized that if I shoot my NEF's in color mode III, they look great in CS 2. When I convert one of these NEF's from color mode III to II in Nikon Capture, it looks the same as the original NEF (in color mode III) in CS 2 (I hope I haven't confused you with all the III's and II's)

Josh,

I don't think that your explanation is correct. ACR ignores the camera settings except for white balance. Mode III is Nikon's Velvia mode with high contrast and color saturation, but the raw files in Mode II and III are exactly the same except for a tag in the header indicating the mode. Like Velvia, mode III is great for landscapes, but it can do violence to skin tones.

If you import a large batch of NEFs into Bridge, the first view you see is the JPEG preview made by the camera with the settings applied. Then Bridge makes its own preview using Camera Raw and this ignores the camera settings.

What you should do if you prefer a Mode III look to your pictures is to change the ACR defaults to give more contrast and saturation. I use the D200 and have had no trouble matching the appearance of the JPEGs produced by the camera, although I try to get the best possible result and not simply match the JPEG.

Of course, Nikon Capture reads the camera settings from the header of the NEF and applies the settings. With Camera Raw, you have to apply your preferred settings after the fact and this can be done quickly and easily to large number of files by several methods. Bridge then makes new previews.
                          • 10. Re: D200 Color Problem in CS2: NEFs don't display properly
                            don solomon Level 1
                            Precisely said Bill

It ought to be mandatory reading for Nikon shooters. Adobe reps, if you are listening, make Bill's gentle explanation sticky under the title "Warning--All Nikon Shooters Read this First". You will whittle thousands of posts off the bulk generated here if you do--and get the LR reps to do the same.

I guess I have read similar posts to that of the OP in the thousands on this and other forums. And I guess I have read every variation of 'By God, it's what my camera saw (or I saw) and I want it! Of course, it is often predicated on the assumption that the speaker actually wants it in anything but Nikon Software!

I have shot Nikon (and others) from digital day one, and it is all too clear that if you want the precise and invariable "look" the Nikon Engineering Group designed, then you have to go to Nikon Capture (NX) with a large bottle of Valium to get your patience down to controllable levels while you wait for it to carry out its algos (based on extract of snail DNA) and produce it for you.

I guess if someone likes that look, they do, but (a)it is not what they saw through the viewfinder, and (b) it is relatively easy to replicate it, as you point out, in better or faster software, such as ACR.

Personally, as a pro photographer, I want to put my 'look' on my work, so I set no calibrations in ACR--they are already set in my Eye and vary from image to image in response to the photographic potential I see in individual images. The 'sync' operations in ACR and LR actually serve my purposes better, given the infinite and often subtle variability of light and color from shoot to shoot.

The secret is to learn the tools (ACR is but one) inside and out and what you can do with them until it is second nature in order to get the 'look' you want.

That , of course, can also be accomplished in Nikon software--if you have world enough and time, that is.