15 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2007 4:23 AM by (Barry_Clive_Pearson)

Camera Raw 3.7

Hi All, I have a new Canon 400D SLR and have just downloaded the Camera Raw 3.7 plug-in to my PSE5. I printed out the info page and followed the instructions to move the old Camera Raw.8bi plug-in and replace it with the new one. The problem is that now my PSE5 won't open.What have I done wrong?
      Chris
        • 1. Re: Camera Raw 3.7
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Try the Photoshop Elements forum:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.eeb4f8b/
          • 2. Re: Camera Raw 3.7
            Level 1
            Thanks Ramon,
            I've looked through the forum and also the FAQs but can't find anything like my problem. We recently had Windows Vista installed on this machine, but PSE5 was running OK until I downloades the Camera Raw 3.7 plug-in. I've had a look at the link you sent me and have now downloaded the PSE503 patcher for Windows Vista, but still no luck. Maybe I should just put the old Camera Raw plug=in back in and take pictures in JPEG again.
            Chris
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw 3.7
              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
              Chris,

Not many users on this forum use Elements. That's why I suggested posting over there.

To make matters worse, I don't even use Windows, so I'm in no position to offer any assistance. Sorry. :(
              • 4. Re: Camera Raw 3.7
                AlBrem
                Chris,

Apologies in advance if you've resolved the problem in the meantime...

I upgraded to ACR v3.7 in PSE5 without problems (but on XP not Vista).

>Maybe I should just put the old Camera Raw plug-in back in

Try that temporarily to confirm that the previous version still works, then close PSE5, navigate to "\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats", rename the existing Camera Raw.8bi to Camera Raw.bak (to make reverting simple) and copy the v3.7 file over. Restart PSE5 and see if the problem reoccurs.

>and take pictures in JPEG again.

An interim solution would be to download the latest DNG Converter and convert your 400D images to DNG files, which can then be opened with previous versions of Camera Raw.

Alan
                • 5. Re: Camera Raw 3.7
                  Level 1
                  Thanks everyone for your help. I finally had XP put back on, reinstalled PSE5, downloaded the camera raw plug-in and the whole thing runs like a dream.
                  Chris
                  • 6. Re: Camera Raw 3.7
                    I am using a windows PC and I have the CS2 trial version of photoshop, I am tring to view my raw files in cs2 (as well as work on them) and I cant get them to open. I tried to download the 3.7 plug in for CS2 and it didnt help either. I shot my raw files with a Cannon digital rebel xti. Please help me! :) Abbie
                    • 7. Re: Camera Raw 3.7
                      Omke Oudeman Level 5
                      Abbie

are you sure you installed the Raw plug in on the correct way and in the right place. Check with this copy of the FAQ's on top if this forum:
                      Topic
                      ++ Debugging ACR 3.x Installation Problems ++

Thomas Knoll - 06:39pm May 6, 2005 Pacific

If Photoshop CS2/Bridge is not working correctly after you attempt to install ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) 3.1 or higher, here a some hints on how to debug common installation problems.

1. Make sure that "Camera Raw" appears exactly once in Photoshop's "About Plug-in" menu. If it appears zero times, you did not install the plug-in in a correct location. The correct location is shown below. If it appears more than one time, you have multiple copies of the plug-in installed.

The new location for Adobe Camera Raw 3.x is:
                      Mac: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS2/File Formats/
                      Note: that the Library folder refered to above is that found at root level and NOT the User/Library folder.

Win: \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-ins\CS2\File Formats\
                      2. If "Camera Raw" appears exactly once in the "About Plug-in" menu, then pick that item and make sure the Camera Raw about box shows version 3.1 or higher. If not, you have the wrong version of Camera Raw installed.

3. Run Bridge and pick "Camera Raw Preferences..." from the Bridge(Mac) or Edit(Win) menu. If the command is grayed out, then you don't have Camera Raw installed in the correct place. If the Camera Raw preferences dialog does not have "Version 3.1 or higher" in the title bar, you have the wrong versihttp://www.adobeforums.com/Images/m/pstmsg.gifon of Camera Raw installed.

If after you verify that that 1, 2 and 3 are correct, and you are still having problems (e.g. generic raw image icons in lieu of thumbnail previews), then next step is to purge the Adobe Bridge cache for any folders you are having problems with. The command to use is: "Tools->Cache->Purge Cache for this Folder".
                      • 8. Re: Camera Raw 3.7
                        Level 1
                        Hi Abbie, I ended up getting my program to run by downloading the new Camera Raw 4.0 plug-in. I first uninstalled everything, deleted the remaining photoshop files from my program files, deleted the camera raw 3.7 plug-in, emptied the recycle bin, shut down the computer fully, restarted it and reinstalled my photoshop program. I then downloaded the camera raw 4.0 plug-in and replaced the old camera raw file with it. My program runs like a dream. I am back to XP now, but had trouble running it in Vista. If you go to the photoshop support website, you will find instructions on how to replace your plug-in. Just use the search box. Sorry I don't have the link.
                        Good luck,
                        Chris
                        • 9. Re: Camera Raw 3.7
                          michael shaffer Level 1
                          > I first uninstalled everything, deleted the remaining photoshop files from my program files, deleted the camera raw 3.7 plug-in, emptied the recycle bin, shut down the computer fully, restarted it and reinstalled my photoshop program. I then downloaded the camera raw 4.0 plug-in and replaced the old camera raw file with it.

Please explain the mixture of ACR v3.x and v4. That is, v3 works only with CS2 and v4 only with CS3(?)
                          • 10. Re: Camera Raw 3.7
                            Level 1
                            Hi Michael,
                            I am working with Photoshop Elements 5 and have a Canon EOS 400D digital SLR camera. The plug-in recommended for my camera by Adobe was the 4.0 version, so that is what I downloaded. I can only assume that you download the plug-in that is suitable for your particular camera, whatever PS program you are running. Hope this helps.
                            • 11. Re: Camera Raw 3.7
                              michael shaffer Level 1
                              Aah! ... I did forget about Adobe Elements. Still, it's my impression that specific versions of ACR work only with specific versions of Photoshop or Elements. On the other hand, I cannot argue with what works ...

cheerios :)
                              • 12. Re: Camera Raw 3.7
                                Hi I too am having trouble with the 3.7 version - I committed the cardinal sin, being stupid, of deleting the old version before the new one was up and running. None of the above suggested locations work for me. I am running OS X - any help will be gratefully received.
                                This is running with CS2.

Bob
                                • 13. Re: Camera Raw 3.7
                                  Level 1
                                  Hi Bob,
                                  I too had lots of trouble getting my Camera Raw 4.0 to run. In the end, I rang Adobe Tech Support and the tech guided me through the steps. I had the first part of the set-up done, but then the tech told me to make hidden files visible and alter a setting, the program runs like clockwork. I'm afraid I can't remember what setting she told me to change, but I can only recommend that you talk to a real person to help you through the set-up.
                                  • 14. Re: Camera Raw 3.7
                                    michael shaffer Level 1
                                    > [...] of deleting the old version before the new one was up and running. None of the above suggested locations work for me.

Previous versions can be DL'd from Adobe's FTP site:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/photoshop/cameraraw/

HTH :)
                                    • 15. Re: Camera Raw 3.7
                                      Level 1
                                      > "it's my impression that specific versions of ACR work only with specific versions of Photoshop or Elements".

I don't know the "?"s in the following are, but apart from that this is what I think for Elements:
                                      PSE2 - none.
                                      PES3 takes ACR 2.x to ACR 3.6
                                      PSE4(Windows) takes ? to ACR 3.7
                                      PSE4(Mac) takes ? to ACR 3.7 & ACR 4.0
                                      PSE5(Windows) takes ? to ACR 3.7 & ACR 4.0

Photoshop is easier:
                                      PS7 > ACR 1.0 (no longer available)
                                      PS8 (CS) > ACR 2.x (last 2.4)
                                      PS9 (CS2) > ACR 3.x (last 3.7)
                                      PS10 (CS3) > ACR 4.x (so far, 4.0)