4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2007 12:53 PM by (Russell_Proulx)

Can ACR4 curve display current adjustments?

Level 1
      I suspect this is not currently possible, but perhaps it might be a future ACR feature to consider.

(According to my understanding:) Adjusting Exposure and Black point is similar to moving the end points of a curve or level adjustment. Brightness and Contrast apply different shaped curves which affect mid-tone or highlight/shadow tones of the image. When I go to the Curve tab (after performing the above adjustments) I'm presented with a straight line, like you get when adding a new curve adjustment layer on top of a stack of other adjustments.

Is there a way to display a curve (perhaps a faint coloured curve superimposed on the straight one) that reflects the current state of adjustment? This would help users better interact with the interface by showing those tonal areas that are being most affected by the adjustments. This would increase understanding of how the adjustments interact.

Just a thought.

Russell
        • 1. Re: Can ACR4 curve display current adjustments?
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Sounds like you want a second curve display, as the Tone Curve adjustments are applied on top of all other adjustments.
          • 2. Re: Can ACR4 curve display current adjustments?
            Level 1
            > Sounds like you want a second curve display,

Thanks for responding Ramón.

Yes, a curve that represents what the slider adjustments are doing. Obviously this would only be those adjustments that can be interpreted with a curve adjustment (ie: not fill light nor highlight recovery). I just find it strange to go from a sliders pallet that cause a curve adjustment to be applied to the image, to a curve pallet that's perfectly straight. Id really like to know what tonal region has increased contrast and what range is flattened.

For those who can read curves this would be useful.

Russell
            • 3. Re: Can ACR4 curve display current adjustments?
              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
              >I just find it strange to go from a sliders pallet that cause a curve adjustment to be applied to the image, to a curve pallet that's perfectly straight.

Precisely because of what I said before.

I would not have it any other way.

The Tone Curve is indeed perfectly straight (linear) because whatever adjustments you apply by means of that curve are on top of the adjustments you made with the sliders, which are an entirely different ball of wax.
              • 4. Re: Can ACR4 curve display current adjustments?
                Level 1
                > I would not have it any other way. The Tone Curve is indeed perfectly straight (linear) because whatever adjustments you apply by means of that curve are on top of the adjustments you made with the sliders, which are an entirely different ball of wax.

Yes, I agree that we all want a straight curve when we open the curve pallet. But I just wondered if there might be a curve representation somewhere regarding what the Brightness and Contrast sliders are doing to the image? The Histogram is not well suited to this. Perhaps a cumulative curve made visible by pressing the Ctrl (or Option)Key while viewing the Curves pallet?

I should probably take this to feature requests as I assume the answer is "no, there is no such animal" :-)

Russell