8 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2007 3:42 PM by Rags Gardner

Scanner tif files opening in Camera Raw

Level 1
      With CS3 installed, some of my scanner generated tif files from an Imacon
      scanner are now opening in Camera Raw window of PS CS3.

Windows XP SP2

Windows file type association set to Photoshop CS3 for tif files.

Using Windows explorer, choosing to open the tif file in CS2 works fine,
      file opens directly in PS CS2.

Using Windows explorer, choosing to open in CS3 opens the same file in ACR
      and then in PS CS3.

David
        • 1. Re: Scanner tif files opening in Camera Raw
          ArrrBee Level 1
          Check the preferences in Bridge and tell it to open these files in Photoshop
          instead of ACR.

Robert
          • 2. Re: Scanner tif files opening in Camera Raw
            John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
            That would be under the "Thumbnails" heading in Bridge's preferences (prefer Camera Raw for JPG and TIFF).
            • 3. Re: Scanner tif files opening in Camera Raw
              Level 1
              The Bridge File Type Association was already set to Adobe Photoshop CS3 for
              tiff/tif files, so that isn't causing the problem.

I notice when I open the file through ACR into PS CS3, then resave the file
              as a tif file, then reopen, it reopens normally without calling ACR.

David
              • 4. Re: Scanner tif files opening in Camera Raw
                Thomas Knoll Level 2
                If the TIFF file has embedded camera raw settngs, then it will automatically open in Camera Raw in Photoshop CS3. One way to avoid this is to clear the settings from the file. To do this, select the file or files in Bridge, and pick "Clear Settings" from the "Develop Settings" submenu.
                • 5. Re: Scanner tif files opening in Camera Raw
                  Level 1
                  Thomas, that does fix the problem.

These files had previously been imported into Lightroom, in doing so this
                  probably caused camera raw settings to be embedded in the tiff file?

David
                  • 6. Re: Scanner tif files opening in Camera Raw
                    I am experiencing that TIFF files, even if converted to CMYK, are continuing to open in Camera Raw (within Bridge, not Photoshop). In Bridge's preferences, "Prefer Camera Raw for JPG and TIFF" unchecked, and TIFF files are associated with Photoshop.

Some are CMYK and and many contain no Camera Raw metadata. Clear Settings has no effect. I need to explicitly open TIFF files into Photoshop, as otherwise they continue to open in Bridge's ACR.

I have unset, reset, and quit Bridge after having toggled the "Prefer Camera Raw for JPG and TIFF" setting.
                    • 7. Re: Scanner tif files opening in Camera Raw
                      Level 1
                      PROBLEM SOLVED

I needed to purge the bridge cache after doing the other things I did.
                      • 8. Re: Scanner tif files opening in Camera Raw
                        Rags Gardner Level 1
                        David,

Im glad you opened this thread. Im having the opposite problem. I have a scanner TIF image (sent to me by someone else) that we want to open in ACR. He had already opened it in CS3 ACR4 before sending it. I just installed CS3 today.

I tested this file at a local camera store yesterday and it behaved as I expected. That is, I could open in PS or ACR as desired via the fly-out menus. But after installing CS3 on my own machine, I could not (Camera Raw options grayed out). I checked with another local user. Same problems.

Then after reading this thread and purging the folder cache things started working, as I wanted them at least. I would assume the folder cache came from CS2.

So my question how does this really work? I will want to selectively use it in the future. If I look at the metadata for a NEF image is see camera data (exif) and camera raw data as expected. But I see neither for this image. And I would not expect a scanner to be embedding raw settings unless it truly supports a raw format.

When I tweak a few ACR settings and click done, the file is updated but no XMP sidecar file is created. I can now see camera raw settings in the metadata panels. This is not what I would expect. And I cant find any camera raw settings in the Photoshop file info panels for either file.

So, how do I control this behavior for future TIF images? Will I have to purge folder cache if it was created with CS2?

Cheers, Rags :-)