2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2007 3:00 AM by Bill_Janes

Camera RAW

OK in the latest PS3 Camera RAW 4.0 I am seeing that my in-camera settings are being eliminated. I am a RAW shooter but have a couple of questions. 1) Is there a way that my Picture Styles can be saved in Camera Raw? 2) If not what options do I have other than The Camera Calibration tab? No matter how I try to mimic Apple's Preview(free program) I can't get the color, sat, and contrast right becuase that is actually the shot with the in-camera settings. 3) If I shoot Jpg in srgb mode will Lightroom keep my in-camera settings? 4) What Camera Raw plug in should I revert to if I want to delete PS3 and LIghtroom off of my computers and go back to CS2?
        • 1. Re: Camera RAW
          Level 1
          " I am seeing that my in-camera settings are being eliminated."

No...you are seeing the result of proprietary and undocumented tags placed by the camera and which no independent 3rd party applications can read and use. Only the software that came with the camera or software that uses the camera maker's SDK can read and use it. Nothing anybody can do about that if you want to use 3rd party software except to complain to the camera companies for that practice.
          • 2. Re: Camera RAW
            Bill_Janes Level 2
            Charles Bordner wrote

>What Camera Raw plug in should I revert to if I want to delete PS3 and LIghtroom off of my computers and go back to CS2?

Camera Raw has never supported incorporation of camera settings other than white balance, so I don't know why you would want to revert to a previous version of PS. If you can pre-visualize the scene sufficiently well to choose the optimal camera settings, you must be Ansel Adams. And he didn't usually have to worry about color. Once the proper settings have been derived with the on screen preview of ACR, they can be applied en masse to similar scenes in the shoot.

IMHO, the main problem with undocumented. proprietary raw formats is that you may not be able to access the image in the future when the camera maker's software is obsolete. Camera Raw fills a pressing need, but I don't know how long Adobe will be able to support the accumulation of hundreds of raw formats as more are introduced. Many photographers convert the raw images to DNG and/or store TIFFs for future use. As Jeff has pointed out, there is a great need for some standardization.