5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2007 11:24 AM by JimHess-8IPblY

How do I open .CR2 files in CS (1) ?

Does anyone know how I can do this? I downloaded the RAW plugin for Elements 5.0 but cannot easily batch process, and there is no File Browser in Elements 5.0? Where would I go to get a plug-in so I can directly open my .CR2 files from my Canon XTi camera in Photoshop CS (1)? Thank you.
        • 1. Re: How do I open .CR2 files in CS (1) ?
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          The only version of Camera Raw that is available for Photoshop CS is version 2.4. None of the later versions will work. If your camera was released after that version, then it will be necessary for you to download the latest DNG converter, convert your RAW files to the DNG format, and then edit those DNG files with Photoshop CS and Camera Raw 2.4.

You might want to consider upgrading to CS3 or purchasing Lightroom. Either version will give you the latest version of Camera Raw with far greater functionality than what you have with Photoshop CS.
          • 2. Re: How do I open .CR2 files in CS (1) ?
            Level 1
            You can't open XT RAW files with CS1. The options for you would be:
            1. Use the Canon converter that came with you camera or download it from the Canon website (Free). Correct the files and then export them as TIFF files, and open them in PS CS1.
            2. Upgrade your Elements. I'm not sure what version you would need.
            3. Buy Lightroom. If you don't use Photoshop tools alot, this might be a good solution for you. ($199 [for a couple more days], then $299. If you can get the education pricing, it's only $99.
            4. Upgrade to CS2 or CS3 (more money).

Good luck. It's not particularly fair, but the same thing happened to me when I upgraded from the original Rebel to the XT.
            • 3. Re: How do I open .CR2 files in CS (1) ?
              Level 1
              " It's not particularly fair, but the same thing happened to me when I upgraded from the original Rebel to the XT. "

Ah..no, you missed one...

5. Download the totally FREE DNG Converter that comes with Camera Raw 4 and convert to DNG...then even Camera Raw 2.4 hosted in Photoshop CS can open even the most recently released (and supported) camera.
              • 4. Re: How do I open .CR2 files in CS (1) ?
                Level 1
                Exacly were do I go to download the latest DNG converter or .CS2 files so that they will open up in CS? Do they then open up with their own "windows" and toolbars like RAW files so I can adjust exposure, white balance, sharpening, etc.? Or do I have to do that in Elements or with Canon's DPP program (which I do not care for) first? Thanks for your quick reply.
                • 5. Re: How do I open .CR2 files in CS (1) ?
                  JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                  The DNG format has been developed by Adobe to sort of "standardize" the RAW format. The data is still raw data, and it is opened just like any other raw image in the Camera Raw utility that you have been using. You are able to make all the same adjustments, and you have all the same flexibility that you are accustomed to.

The DNG converter is a freestanding program that runs independently from Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. You use it to convert your images, and then you just continue working in Photoshop as you are accustomed to working. The converter comes packaged with Camera Raw. You simply put the program wherever you want it. After you open the DNG converter, simply configure it for your specific conversion. That is really all there is to it. Here is the link to the most current download available:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3605