3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2007 9:22 AM by (EmJayPrice)

Getting RAW pics from canon camera

Hello.

Maybe you have the answer to my problem. I have a canon 350d, and have used jpegs all the time, as i can't seem to get RAW files onto my computer. I usually use the microsoft camera wizard to get my pics off the camera. so, i got photshop cs2 and adoba bridge, thinking this might help get the raw from the camera. no luck. so i got pixmantec and picasso on the advice of others but still no go. so today i loaded the raw converter plug in from adobe's site and still no go.

Have i done something wrong in a past life to warrant this? Am i just missing something? does anybody know an easy way to explain to this donkey what way redemption lies?

thanks

charlie
        • 1. Re: Getting RAW pics from canon camera
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Charlie,

Get a card reader. Drag-copy the image files to your local hard drive.

- - -

This excerpt is from a long-gone post by the late, much lamented Bruce Fraser:

Bruce Fraser - 4:17pm Jun 14, 04 PST (#5 of 21)

Opening files directly from the camera is a bad idea for a variety of reasons*, and it most certainly isn't faster than using a FireWire or USB2 card reader.

Drains the camera battery

Runs the risk of the software you're using to open the images writing to the card and destroying the format

Runs a small but significant risk of USB power frying the camera

Slowest method known to mankind of getting images off a CF or SD card
          • 2. Re: Getting RAW pics from canon camera
            John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
            Charlie, is the camera set to give you both Raw and JPG files?

I've never tried hooking my camera up directly to the computer (I use a card reader as mentioned above). Does the camera show up like a hard drive that you can use Explorer to view? If so, can you see the raw files on the camera? Or just the JPG files?
            • 3. Re: Getting RAW pics from canon camera
              Level 1
              This is a known issue "design feature" of the Canon driver software. As the <br />others have stated if you have a card reader you will have no problems.<br /><br /><br /><Charlie_Robinson@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3bc3c6ef.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Hello.<br />><br />> Maybe you have the answer to my problem. I have a canon 350d, and have <br />> used jpegs all the time, as i can't seem to get RAW files onto my <br />> computer. I usually use the microsoft camera wizard to get my pics off the <br />> camera. so, i got photshop cs2 and adoba bridge, thinking this might help <br />> get the raw from the camera. no luck. so i got pixmantec and picasso on <br />> the advice of others but still no go. so today i loaded the raw converter <br />> plug in from adobe's site and still no go.<br />><br />> Have i done something wrong in a past life to warrant this? Am i just <br />> missing something? does anybody know an easy way to explain to this donkey <br />> what way redemption lies?<br />><br />> thanks<br />><br />> charlie