7 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2007 11:30 AM by Ramón G Castañeda

Slow sliders in CS3 ACR

I've been a long time user of ACR in CS2. I've just recently upgraded to CS3 and, while I appreciate the new functionality in the newest version of ACR, I find that moving the sliders in the new ACR is massively slower than the previous version. It is not uncommon for a slider to take 5-10 seconds before it will even respond to a mouse click or drag. This is true even with the sliders that were present in previous versions of ACR so it can't only be because some of the new functionality is more compute-intensive.

This sluggishness really detracts from my RAW processing productivity. Is this expected behavior? Is there anything that can be done in my configuration to restore the performance I had in CS2?

For reference, I process 12MP RAW images from a Nikon D2Xs. I have a two year old computer - single core, Pentium 4, 3GHz, 3GB RAW. I did not have any of these performance problems with CS2/ACR.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Slow sliders in CS3 ACR
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          I'm definitely not seeing this on my Macintosh.
          • 2. Re: Slow sliders in CS3 ACR
            don solomon Level 1
            Nor is this the case on a PC XP Pro SP2 2gigs Ram. The only slider that shows any hesitation is the 'fill light', and as in Ramon's case (mentioned in another thread)there is a very slight initial delay.

May I suggest that you have either a conflict, something that has gobbled up your memeory, or a bad install--and the latter is about the most common post on the CS3 related forums!
            • 3. Re: Slow sliders in CS3 ACR
              Level 1
              I appreciate the ideas so far.

For a little more context, I did originally have Elements, then CS2, then Lightroom beta, then CS3 beta, then shipping Lightroom trial on this computer and still have Elements, CS2 installed and the Lightroom trial. Before installing CS3, I uninstalled the CS3 beta without errors and then followed the manual cleanup instructions for some of the CS3 directories/files that may remain before installing the shipping CS3. I don't have this slider problem in CS2 or in the Lightroom trial or in CS3 on my laptop.

Does anyone have any ideas what things I should try to resolve this issue? I could reinstall CS3, but I'm not expecting that to make much of a difference because I don't get any functional errors and I haven't installed anything else on this computer since CS3. I'm wondering if there's something CS3 doesn't like about my hardware or it's there's something in the installation that is conflicting with the other Photoshop versions I have on the computer.

Any further ideas?
              • 4. Re: Slow sliders in CS3 ACR
                sjprg Level 1
                FOR A PC.
                If you have broadband internet connections(only if). I would suggest reformating the c: drive. If you don't have a d: drive, repartition the existing C; drive into a C: & D: with at least 30 Gb on the c: drive. Keep all of your data on the D: drive by moving the My Documents folder to the Drive by right clicking the D: drive in explorer and using the property tab.
                Reinstall the system and install all updates from MS, currently about 90 updates. Then reinstall your programs. This will take you about 6 hours to acomplish.

I know this sounds like overkill, BUT it really does help by cleaning out all the acumulated junk from a year or so of operation.

I do mine about every 6 months now, and my operations stay smooth.

I also just updated my motherboard with an E6600. The combo was on sale at Frys for $189.00. Add 2 Gb of ram and batch RAW conversions for a Canon 5D run 4 seconds each.
                • 5. Re: Slow sliders in CS3 ACR
                  don solomon Level 1
                  sjprg,

What you say has some merit, but falls short of what is really needed to maximize a PC to run at the best speed you can get out of it. And, redoing your whole machine every six months is certainly effective--but doing it the hard way. Drive image backups will save a lot of work there.

Here are my suggestions:

My advice is to keep your boot drive (partition)small (20 gigs) and only install programs there that give you no choice of where to put them. And have another partition for a second boot drive (dual boot system)on a second hd, where you also have another small partition (8-10 gigs) for page file and virtual memory only, and use the remaining space for partitions to install programs to, and others for data, such as the LR database, including a large one for your image folders.

Such an arrangement will offer both increased program speed (LR and ACR can use all that you can give it) and better system recoverability. Having a dual boot system allows you to be able to access one side from the other if something goes wrong, or to use one side to first test out new programs like LR or CS3, or one side that is for editing only--no internet access, etc. I personally use a triple boot system, but that is probably not necessary in most cases.

Having your virtual memory and pagefile assigned to its own partition on a second hd will give faster access to those than having it on the same hd as you boot from, and the same reasoning applies to having your programs also on a different partition.

Add to this, regular partition image backups with a program like Acronis True Image--everytime you install or uninstall a program, etc,-- will make you virtually invulnerable to the most common machine killing incidents--accidental or intentional. You should also have a disk image of your basic OS install made before you add programs, so that if you do have some other disaster, you can start from scratch. That will save a lot of rebuild time.

I edit professionally, and I simply cannot afford down time. But when you get right down to the nitty gritty--no one wants a disfunctional computer to have to rebuild or slow, sluggish programs that struggle even more when installed on a non optimized computer.

Having said all this, I still suspect that the OP has a more basic problem--conflict or poor install, etc--with CS3, if the sliders are as slow as he says.
                  • 6. Re: Slow sliders in CS3 ACR
                    mikeengles Level 1
                    Hello

There is an explanation for slow sliders in the ACR4.0 forum.
                    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bb6a85c.3bc3cc22/5

Mike Engles
                    • 7. Re: Slow sliders in CS3 ACR
                      Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                      This is the ACR forum, regardless of version number.