6 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2007 7:31 AM by Robert Shomler

Pixel density

Panoholic Level 2
      The appearance of a dialog window depends on certain characteristics of the user's monitor. Most notably, the pixel density of the monitor is important. MS Windows allows some adjustments to the physical pixel density and to the eyesight of the user.

One of those adjustments is the DPI setting. The "normal" (as defined by the gods at Microsoft) is 96 dpi, and other settings are possible.

Unfortunately, if the programmer of a dialog does not think of the possibility of different settings, then some users can't enjoy the program as much as others. This is almost normal with some low-end programs, for example the Adobe DNG Converter (at no fee). However, Adobe Photoshop does not belong to that category, so one would expect, that the development has been prepared for such differences in the users' environment.

Well, it is not so.

Following screen captures depict, what I see on my monitor:

http://www.panopeeper.com/Demo/CameraRaw_Adjustments_DisplayDemo.jpg

http://www.panopeeper.com/Demo/CameraRaw_Preferences_DisplayDemo.jpg

My question is, if one can expect any remedy of this problem.

(And pls save the suggestion to change the settings of my monitor temoprarily, print the respective sceen captures and pin them on the wall, so that I don't need to remember, which control is for what.)
        • 1. Re: Pixel density
          michael shaffer Level 1
          > My question is, if one can expect any remedy of this problem ...

This problem has existed since Windows 95 ... that is, 3rd-party software developers (e.g., Adobe) not designing their dialogs (menus, etc) for different fonts iaw this Windows desktop DPI setting.

The remedy is simple ... just leave the setting where it's at.

Else, make a case for why it should be different, and why 3rd-party developers should accommodates everyone's DPI preference.

my CA$0.02 :)
          • 2. Re: Pixel density
            Panoholic Level 2
            There are monitors with different pixel sizes and with different resolutions. People have different eyesight. Some prefer - or even need - to enlarge for example texts, but not all programs are capable of adjusting the font sizes. (This is a problem even with internet browsers - though HTML provides for user adjustment, some idiots prefer to specify absolute font sizes.)

The display adjustments of Window are countering just such problems. Unfortunately, there is no cheap way of dynamically adjusting the dialog elements to the actual settings (see http://www.cryptobola.com/index.htm, "Customizing the dialog appearance"). However, a dialog can be designed with this issue in mind, i.e. designed for the almost-worst case. Beside, "big" products, which generate profits in the range of billions, could easily provide customization.

Anyway, I wonder, if you have not suggested already supporting only one size (resolution) of monitor. 800x600 should be good for everyone.
            • 3. Re: Pixel density
              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
              >800x600

That does not meet even the minimum requirements to run Photoshop:

* 1,024x768 monitor resolution with 16-bit video card
              • 4. Re: Pixel density
                The control text wrapping and clipping shown in your screen images is a bug that we need to fix. The problem should only be present when using an old "Windows Classic" theme while also setting the monitor resolution to "Large 120dpi". Until we can provide a fix, the only solution is to either use a standard Windows XP theme or use the "Normal 96dpi" resolution setting. I apologize for the inconvenience.
                • 5. Re: Pixel density
                  Panoholic Level 2
                  I am extremely pleased by several facts:

1. this forum is not a Wailing Wall, where people can write their complains and go home with the certainty, that their complaints may be read by other complainants, but Gods don't have time to that,

2. that the problem is acknowledged, instead of explaining, that is is not really a problem ("designed as works" strategy),

3. that fixing is promised (and I am sure, it will come).

Photoshop is a product of generally excellent quality, and as I see, of excellent "customer maintenance".
                  • 6. Re: Pixel density
                    Robert Shomler Level 4
                    >Until we can provide a fix, the only solution is to either use a standard Windows XP theme or ...

Thank you! I've lived with this problem on one system configuration for sometime. This is the first I've read that the Windows Theme is an influence -- that changing to the Windows XP theme will eliminate the problem. Much better for that system than changing to Normal 96.

Thanks again.