7 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2007 10:15 AM by mikeengles

Camera Raw 4.0 Fill Light Slider Not Working

Hi,
      Just installed Photoshop CS3, and I'm having an annoying problem.
      When using Camera Raw 4.0, all the sliders work smootly except for the Filli Light slider. Its the only slider that is almost impossible to adjust via dragging the slider via my mouse. Of course, this is probably my most frequently used adjustment.
      The Photoshop CS3 was a clean install, directly from the CD provided by Adobe.
      There was never any Beta version installed.
      Sure hope that you can help.
      Thanks,
      Ira
        • 1. Re: Camera Raw 4.0 Fill Light Slider Not Working
          Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
          Macintosh or Windows?

On my Mac it takes about one second to respond when I first click on that slider, but after that it moves in real time, or almost real time.
          • 2. Re: Camera Raw 4.0 Fill Light Slider Not Working
            sjprg Level 1
            You didn't state what OS, how much memory, speed, etc.
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw 4.0 Fill Light Slider Not Working
              This seems to be a problem on some machines. Both of my PCs (Dual 2.8 GHz Xeon desktop and a 3.4 GHz P4, both with 2 GB RAM, differing application and scratch drives and generally running fast have the problem.

Others do not which leads me to believe that some of us may be more impatient than others... or that there really is some software issue between CS3 and bog-knows what else.
              • 4. Re: Camera Raw 4.0 Fill Light Slider Not Working
                Level 1
                Open TaskManager and either make it "Always On Top" or minimize it to the SysTray.
                Open ACR 4.0 then click and hold on any slider adjustment (but don't move it). Check your CPU usage in TM.
                I have an AMD dual core system and just doing this maxes out one of my cores. Toggling the Preview to off has no effect. CPU usage is still maxed out. Now I understand why the sliders are a little "laggy".
                • 5. Re: Camera Raw 4.0 Fill Light Slider Not Working
                  mikeengles Level 1
                  Hello

I have found the same thing.
                  Initially the slider will not move at all, then when it does it overshoots. I think it is trying to redraw as the slider moves, as do to a varying extent all the sliders in ACR4 with CS3, which makes ACR4 seem notchy and hesitant. This is I think also a more general problem in all Photoshops.
                  Now in Lightroom, the redraw happens a sec after the slider has stopped moving( like in Rawshhoter) and so seems really responsive.

Mike Engles
                  • 6. Re: Camera Raw 4.0 Fill Light Slider Not Working
                    Level 1
                    The Fill Light adjustment is the single most processor intensive of all the controls in Lightroom. When you first move the slider it causes Camera Raw to generate a large blur copy of the image and that takes a bit if time. During that initial bit if time, fill Light will NOT be as responsive as the other controls in Lightroom...it only takes a moment but if you are trying to make adjustments while CR is building the mask, you'll get jittery results. The key to using it is to move the adjustment off zero, pause a bit while the mask is being generated and then start fine tuning the adjustment. After that initial move off zero is done, it should be about as fast as most of the other controls-and no, you DON'T want CR to auto-generate the mask for every image by default, it would make Camera Raw much slower overall.
                    • 7. Re: Camera Raw 4.0 Fill Light Slider Not Working
                      mikeengles Level 1
                      Hello

Thanks for the explanation,I have to say I prefer the way ACR works in Lightroom. By the way do you know the pixel matrix size for the gray picker in Lightroom. I assume that ACR4.0 in CS3 uses the matrix size in the preferences.

Mike Engles