5 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2007 4:26 PM by (Russ_Glindmeier)

ACR 4.0 Documentation

I downloaded and installed the ACR 4.0 plug-in last week. I also downloaded and printed the read me file for ACR 4.0. To my surprise, the read me for ACR 3.7 had more information regarding the new features in that version than the read me for 4.0. I was surprised that the read me for 4.0 had no mention whatsoever as to the usage of the new features and capabilities in 4.0. It's possible that those issues were discussed in the documentation for CS 3, but since I am using ACR 4.0 in Elements 5, I don't have access to any of that information.

I've been searching the Adobe support site and the forums (and just about anywhere else, for that matter), for any kind of tutorial or guide that would be helpful in learning how to integrate the new features of ACR 4.0 into my workflow. It appears that Adobe just put ACR 4.0 out there without any supportive documentation. Or perhaps it just looks that way to Elements 5 users. Can anyone assist me in my quest?
        • 1. Re: ACR 4.0 Documentation
          JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
          I have never seen Camera Raw (any version) used with Photoshop Elements. The last version of Elements I used was 2.0, and it didn't support working with raw at all. I do know, however, that with the 3.x versions of Camera Raw many of the new controls that were added in that version were not available to Photoshop Elements users. My suspicion is that many of those new controls in 4.0 will be hidden from you anyway. So I would suggest that you just continue using Camera Raw as you have in the past.

The problem is that as Adobe updates their software using the latest hardware technology it makes it difficult to continue to support older operating systems that are either obsolete or on the verge of becoming obsolete. And Camera Raw must be used with a full version of Photoshop in order to take advantage of all the features. That is the way it has always been. And unless something has changed with Camera Raw 4.0, I suppose that is how it always will be.

You might be able to get some better pointers and information if you asked your questions on the Photoshop Elements forum. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful people there.
          • 2. Re: ACR 4.0 Documentation
            Level 1
            Jim:

Thanks for your reply. Camera Raw has been supported in Elements since version 3, in a limited capacity. ACR 4.0 has been designed to work with Elements 5, also in a limited capacity. However, version 4.0 does bring new functionality to the table versus version 3.7, even when using Elements 5. In Elements 5, you only have access to the Basic and Detail tabs, but those tabs offer full functionality as far as I know. For instance ACR 4.0 has the new Recovery, Fill Light, Blacks, and Vibrance sliders available to Elements 5 users. It is the use of those new features for which I am looking for direction.

My issue is about a lack of documention for ACR 4.0. I suspect such documentation has been provided to new purchasers of CS 3, but I don't know. But even if that is the case, it isn't available to Elements users and wouldn't fully apply anyway.

I will post of copy of my original post in this forum in the Elements forum. But my observation is that anytime an ACR question is posted in the Elements forum, the poster is directed to the ACR forum, and anytime Elements is mentioned in this forum, they are directed to the Elements forum.

Even though Adobe intended ACR 4.0 to be used with Elements 5, it seems that documention and support has been omitted from the implentation of that plan. I'd appreciate any additional comments from users or Adobe staff that might be of help.
            • 3. Re: ACR 4.0 Documentation
              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
              Try posting in the Elements forum.

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.eeb4f8b/
              • 4. Re: ACR 4.0 Documentation
                Level 1
                Russ,
                Documentation on Camera Raw 4.0 can be found at the following location:
                http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/10.0/help.html?content=WSD040CF04-C176-4ecb-8A8E -155FBA26AA77.html

The Readme file is only intended to support last minute changes or items not fully covered in the product documentation. I'll be sure to include the full documentation link above in future Camera Raw Readmes

Regards,
                Tom
                • 5. Re: ACR 4.0 Documentation
                  Level 1
                  Thanks, Tom. That's the content I'm looking for. The link you provided takes me to a browser-based documentation center for CS3 that allows me to read a sub section at a time. Is there a way to compile an entire section (say the Camera Raw Section) to a single file (pdf?) so that I can print the entire section in one stroke and better yet, archive it in a single file on my hard drive?

Thanks again,

Russ