27 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2007 3:50 PM by Hudechrome-sd9sPI

WHY?????????

I am puzzled. For 2 years now I have watched this adobe forum and have suffered (as have many many users). I've watched numerous Camera Plug in updates that have said they support the Canon Rebel XT. None of these plug-ins recognize the CR2 raw files from the Canon Rebel XT. I keep hearing,
      "Wait for the next update". I'm very tired of waiting.
      PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        • 1. Re: WHY?????????
          Level 1
          By the way, I'm using Elements 3.01 and windows XP
          Warren
          • 2. Re: WHY?????????
            JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
            There must be something wrong with your installation. Your camera is already supported. I don't know when or was added, but I just checked the list for Camera Raw 3.7, and the Digital Rebel XT is on the list. So it looks to me like you should be looking for errors in your installation.
            • 3. Re: WHY?????????
              Level 1
              It recognizes my jpeg images but not my raw images. I followed the instructions to the letter. Many other people have posted messages that their raw images from the Rebel XT are not recognized by Elements 3.
              • 4. Re: WHY?????????
                Level 1
                Support for the Rebel XT was added in ACR 3.1, as per this page:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2936

Make sure the plugin (file name is "Camera Raw.8bi") is in the correct
                Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 3.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats
                • 5. Re: WHY?????????
                  Ramón G Castañeda Level 4
                  The Camera Raw 3.7 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS2, versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 4.0 , or versions of Premiere Elements earlier than Premiere Elements 3.0. The latest version of the Camera Raw plug-in available for Photoshop Elements 3.0 customers is Camera Raw 3.6.

Check the Elements forum:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.eeb4f8b/

The current version of Photoshop Elements is v. 5.
                  • 6. Re: WHY?????????
                    JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                    I apologize for that oversight, Ramon. But even so, Camera Raw 3.6 (it installed correctly) should still work in this situation.
                    • 7. Re: WHY?????????
                      Jim,

My post was directed at the OP, not at you. :)

He should definitely try installing ACR 3.6 correctly.
                      • 8. Re: WHY?????????
                        Level 1
                        Thanks for your suggestions. I think that I have installed ACR 3.6 properly and in the correct location. The plug in("Camera Raw.8bi") appears only once in the file format folder. I can't figure out why only the JPEG files are recognized?
                        Warren
                        • 9. Re: WHY?????????
                          Level 1
                          I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT!
                          Thank you Jim and Ramon for your suggestions.
                          This is what I did. I realized that it did work some time ago. After the camera was in to Canon for a minor repair and firmware update, it stopped working. In the camera menu I went to Communication. I switched the setting from "PC communication" to"Print/PTP". Now it recognizes the raw files.
                          I'm a happy camper.
                          • 10. Re: WHY?????????
                            John_Cornicello_Photo Level 2
                            I had not heard of that option having an effect on raw files. Are you, by chance, hooking the camera up to the computer to get the files out of it instead of using a separate card reader?
                            • 11. Re: WHY?????????
                              Level 1
                              Yes. I attach the camera to the computer via USB cable. I turn on the camera and the Photoshop elements photodownloader opens automatically and loads all of the images on the memory card.
                              Warren
                              • 12. Re: WHY?????????
                                Ah, that might do that. I'm of the school that I never connect the camera to download. A separate card reader (USB2 or Firewire) is the way to go for me.

John
                                • 13. Re: WHY?????????
                                  This excerpt is from a long-gone post by author Bruce Fraser:

Bruce Fraser - 4:17pm Jun 14, 04 PST (#5 of 21)

Opening files directly from the camera is a bad idea for a variety of reasons*, and it most certainly isn't faster than using a FireWire or USB2 card reader.

Drains the camera battery

Runs the risk of the software you're using to open the images writing to the card and destroying the format

Runs a small but significant risk of USB power frying the camera

Slowest method known to mankind of getting images off a CF or SD card
                                  • 14. Re: WHY?????????
                                    JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                    However, there are other schools of thought that would disagree with such suggestions. On another forum, I once suggested to someone who was having difficulty downloading directly from their camera that perhaps they should consider using a card reader. And there were countless answers from others who told me what a dangerous thing it was to suggest doing so. Their philosophy was that the card was pretty much a semi-permanent part of the camera that should only be removed under the most extreme circumstances. I don't know where these people get their information, but it was utterly fruitless to try to reason with them.
                                    • 15. Re: WHY?????????
                                      One can't "reason" with anyone about things like this, Jim. All you can do is give them the information you believe to be correct and leave it up to them. What do we care what they do?
                                      • 16. Re: WHY?????????
                                        JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                        Agreed.
                                        • 17. Re: WHY?????????
                                          What do you do when you run out of memory while out on an assignment? I regularly go through two or three memory cards during a photography session.
                                          • 18. Re: WHY?????????
                                            Of course, John. I have filled up 16GB worth of Compact Flash cards in one afternoon, emptied them onto a portable storage device and filled them up again before returning home.

The notion of leaving the card in the camera at all times is not only stupid but unrealistic.
                                            • 19. Re: WHY?????????
                                              Level 1
                                              I'm quite intrigued by this. When I got my first digital camera, it just seemed easiest to retrieve the images by plugging in the camera.
                                              I didn't realize that it could be potentially damaging.
                                              • 20. Re: WHY?????????
                                                JimHess-8IPblY Level 3
                                                It quickly became apparent to me that these people were a bunch of casual photographers. I'm not a professional by any stretch of the imagination. But even so I find it very easy to fill more than one card. A couple of years ago most of my family took a trip to Alaska. I think we have decided digital cameras and a laptop with us that we could download to. At one point we made last-minute arrangements to take a flight over Mount McKinley, and we had to scramble to find enough empty cards to take with us on the flight. It was a good thing we had the laptop to download our photos to, or it would have been in trouble. Over the course of that week the group of us took enough pictures to fill 12 CDs. Can you imagine trying to use just one card in each camera in a situation like that?

You are probably a professional. I apologize for not taking the time to research your background. But it's hard to comprehend how some people get along in this digital world. It's almost as ridiculous as the "built-in retractable cupholder" joke that used to float around. Some people just don't get it.
                                                • 21. Re: WHY?????????
                                                  Each PEF raw file weighs in at 13MB. It doesn't take that long to fill a 2GB card.
                                                  • 22. Re: WHY?????????
                                                    Not only damage, but time. A USB-2 or FireWire connection is a lot faster. And you can continue photographing while one card is being copied to the computer. And it also saves batteries. Not so big a consideration now, but early digital cameras ate through batteries at an alarmingly fast rate. Using battery power to download through a slow connection really soured me on connecting the camera directly.

Besides, it also helps get around some compatibility glitches (as seen in this discussion).

John
                                                    • 23. Re: WHY?????????
                                                      I have PSE 5.0 and CS2 both installed on my computer. I'm having no problems whatsoever opening my photos taken with my Canon Digital Rebel XT in PSE 5.0. CS2 is another story. Following the directions to install the plug-in into the Program Files>Common Files>Adobe stops at the Plug-ins part. There is no plug-ins folder.

Is anyone else having this problem?
                                                      • 24. Re: WHY?????????
                                                        I have heard of some installations where this folder is missing. Have you tried creating the folder by hand and putting the Camera Raw file into the folder?
                                                        • 25. Re: WHY?????????
                                                          Since Dodie mentions PSE 5, it's obvious he's on a Windows box. In that case. John's statement is spot on:
                                                          > I have heard of some installations where this folder is missing.

If Dodie were on a Mac, I'd tell him he's looking at the wrong location; but for Windows, John's suggestion applies.
                                                          • 26. Re: WHY?????????
                                                            Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                                            " On another forum, I once suggested to someone who was having difficulty downloading directly from their camera that perhaps they should consider using a card reader. And there were countless answers from others who told me what a dangerous thing it was to suggest doing so."

When I have read about the don't-take-out-the-card advocates, they sometimes say you don't want to wear out the contacts on the card, or worse, in the camera. That could be valid, but if it's the only point, the multiple points in favor of a card reader still win.

I'm a card reader user myself, partly because of the blinding speed of my FireWire card reader. But also because there have been enough shoots that wouldn't fit on one card. With an 8-megapixel Rebel XT in raw mode, a 1GB card only holds a little more than the equivalent of 3 of last century's 36-exposure rolls of film. Even a 2GB or 4GB card isn't enough for a trip.

John's got a great point about compatibility. Connecting a camera with a cable requires camera support by the OS or at least some piece of software that recognizes the camera. (I've got one digital camera that's so old that no OS X software recognizes it via the cable.) A card reader will plug into any computer and take a card from any camera with zero worries about driver versions and OS support. With a card reader, the only thing you need is software that recognizes the camera's raw format, and if you are shooting JPEGs, then you don't even have to worry about that.
                                                            • 27. Re: WHY?????????
                                                              Hudechrome-sd9sPI Level 2
                                                              PC cards with gold edge connectors have been around for years. The technology is well known, and the type of gold on both the card and the receptor is panned with insertion count in mind. These type of cards would be designed and tested with the insertion rate in the thousands, or at least, the best ones would!

Of course, the camera makers have to do their end as well. (Pun intended!)

BTW, using cable to connect to the computer from the camera merely shifts the contact wear to another component set.