17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2007 5:45 AM by (Sarah_Vogwill) RSS

RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS

I am trying to open Camera RAW images in Photoshop CS but keep getting a message that request can not be completed because it is not the right kind of file. Images were shot with a D200. I have installed the software that came with the camera. I can open the files in Nikon View, but can not get them to open into Photoshop so that I can edit them there. I have downloaded every kind of update I can find. I have replaced my Camera RAW plug-in with the latest update. Still, same message.
      • 0. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
        Ramón G Castañeda Community Member
        Did you correctly install ACR 3.7 into CS2 and deleted the old ACR?

Have you Purged the Cache from the Tools menu in Bridge?

Does ACR 3.7 correctly show in "About Plug-in"?

What exact version of the OS? Is your Photoshop CS2 updated to 9.0.2?
        • 2. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
          Bridget,

Did you check to see whether the D200 is supported by ACR 2.4? That is the latest version of ACR that will work with Photoshop 8 ("CS").

You cannot use any later version of ACR, such as ACR 3.7, which is "the latest update" and requires Photoshop 9 ("CS2").

You can, however, run your files through the free Adobe DNG Converter 3.7, or even the Adobe DNG Converter 4, in order to convert your Nikon RAW files to DNG files that can be opened in Photoshop 8 ("CS") through ACR 2.4.

If your camera is supported by ACR 2.4 (I'm not inclined to look it up for you at this time, sorry), make sure you have installed ACR 2.4 in the correct location, that you delete the old ACR that gets installed by default, and that you have also deleted the Nikon plug-in that the Nikon software installs in Photoshop behind your back.
          • 3. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
            Community Member
            Thanks, Ramon, for trying to help me. Obvioiusly, you are very knowledgeable on the subject. I have never shot in RAW format before, and with this experience, I probably won't again until I upgrade to CS2 or 3. My camera's manual does not give info. about ACR support, nor can I find it online. I downloaded everything you suggested, but I still get messages that file type is not supported. Odd to me that Photoshop Elements seems to have broader RAW options that the much more comprehensive and expensive CS version... but thankfully, I shot these images in RAW + JPEG, so it's not a total loss.
            • 4. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
              > Odd to me that Photoshop Elements seems to have broader RAW options that the much more comprehensive and expensive CS version

Not remotely, Bridget. Not remotely.

In the first place, Elements uses the same ACR plug-in. Secondly, In Elements you only get a very reduced (I'd call it pathetic) set of the features of ACR, as opposed to the full version of Photoshop.

Now, if you are comparing the latest version of Elements to an ancient version of Photoshop, it's not surprising that more cameras are going to be supported by the former.

I don't thing the D200 is supported in ACR 2.4, so the only way for you to open your files is to run them through the stand-alone Adobe DNG Converter 3.7 to turn them into DNG files first, and then open the DNG files in ACR 2.
              • 5. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
                Yesterday I downloaded the latest Cs2 update Camera Raw 3.7 and DNG 3.7.
                Now when I try to open my camera raw files I get a message saying it is not the right kind of file.Also the DNG files come up as icons in the bridge and they will not open in Photoshop either.
                I wondered if anyone else has had this problem.
                Thank John
                • 6. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
                  Also, what camera generated the RAW files? Are you sure the specific camera model is supported in ARC 3.7?
                  • 7. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
                    Community Member
                    > "Are you sure the specific camera model is supported in ARC 3.7?"

He said "I downloaded ... DNG 3.7. Also the DNG files come up as icons in the bridge and they will not open in Photoshop either". That suggest it is supported.

But it is odd that the DNGs are not accessed either. They wouldn't be accessed by Bridge if ACR was in the Photoshop folder, but even in that case I would expect them to be accessed by Photoshop. Unless one of your other questions is the key here.
                    • 8. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
                      He did say he downloaded the DNG Converter, but he did NOT say he used it to generate the DNGs, which could have easily come from elsewhere. Until he gives us details, my answer stands as is.
                      • 9. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
                        Sorry to barge in here - but this sounds like my problem.

I just got a new camera (D80, had a D70s where this wasn't a problem). On my new card, I took about 80 or so pics. I can view the first 35 in Bridge and open them in PS CS2. The rest of the pics downloaded - there is a file amount behind them - but no EXIF data.

There is no image icon either. However, I was able to view these in the camera last night. I'm going to download the DNG Converter and see that helps ... but I find it weird that 35 pics would not be affected ... but the rest of the card would (???)
                        • 10. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
                          PECourtejoie ACP
                          Mercsadies, are you using the latest version of the DNG converter (4.1) and Camera Raw 3.7 (the last version compatible with CS2)?
                          • 11. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
                            I'm having a similar problem to Mercsadies. I can open Nikon D50 Raw files in Elements 5 but I can't open my wife's Raw files from her new Nikon D80 -they are the 'wrong file type.' Do we need the new Adobe Camera Raw 4.1 plug in to support her camera (it's not on the list of new cameras this new pulg in supports)? Is it significant that I can open D50 Raws and not D80 Raws?
                            • 12. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
                              John_Cornicello_Photo Community Member
                              George, what version of the Camera Raw plugin do you currently have installed?

The D80 is a newer camera than the D50. The D50 has been supported since version 3.2 (September 2005). The D80 has been supported since version 3.6 (October 2006).

So if you have 3.6, 3.7, 4.0, or 4.1 installed you should be able to read files from both cameras.

John
                              • 13. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
                                I have a compatibility question. i have the new imac with intel core processor and I have been using PhotoShop CS which works more or less okay. However PS refuses to recognize my (Powershot G6) camera raw image. The plug-in is V2.0. Will updating to v2.4 help at all with this problem? I'm not prepared to buy CS3 of course.
                                thanks, Sarah
                                • 14. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
                                  Art Campbell Community Member
                                  Sarah,

It's usually better to start your own thread than hijack another topic...

And, if you look at the 2.4 download page, it lists your camera.
                                  http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2865

Cheers,
                                  Art
                                  • 15. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
                                    Community Member
                                    Respectfully, this has to do with "raw files won't open in Photoshop CS" so not sure what the difference is. I don't think this a question of whether the plug-in works with my camera (because i know it does) but perhaps there being a limitation using CS on the new intels.
                                    thanks,
                                    Sarah
                                    • 16. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
                                      Sarah,

No one should be running ACR 2 in Photoshop 8 (CS). Update to 2.4 ASAP.

CS will run in Rosetta on a Mac-Intel, which means it will be very slow, but there should be no other limitation.
                                      • 17. Re: RAW files won't open in Photoshop CS
                                        Community Member
                                        thanks very much!